Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

650 miles on my Model Y with the 4680 battery.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How long does the battery take to break in. When I charge my car to 90%, as recommended, it states I should be able to go 250 miles. When I go to the trip planner, I seem to be getting roughly 70% of what is projected. I drive 8.5 miles to work and 8.5 miles back, moderate traffic coming home with my air on, but seem to use 25 miles of the projected range. If this does not increase, I am going to be disappointed. I do not and cannot afford to install a charger in condo, estimates are coming in around $4300. I have everything shut off at night that can use energy when I park and the battery continues to drop when I am not even in the car. The car is set to Chill Mode and I am not a hard accelerator, wtf.

Can anybody let me know if this will improve with mileage or time?

What is your experience for your battery break in time frame?

Can anybody let me know if this will improve with mileage or time?

No, it won't.

What is your experience for your battery break in time frame?
There is no break-in period for the battery, or the car.

I have everything shut off at night that can use energy when I park and the battery continues to drop when I am not even in the car.
If it is dropping much when parked overnight then you need to make sure everything is really turned off. Sentry mode? Cabin overheat protection? Third-party apps setup to log the data from the car?

Upvote 0
Terrain, ambient conditions, winds, all play a factor. And it applies to all EV’s, not just Tesla. Switch your display to “%” instead of miles, and you’ll have a more enjoyable ownership experience.

Oh, and batteries don’t need breaking in nor do they “improve” over time. If anything there will be degradation but that’s something down the road.

Upvote 0
New tires will break in over the first 1000 miles; there will be some improvement in efficiency. Keep tires inflated to at least the recommended 42 PSI (measured in the A.M., cold before the Tesla Model Y has been driven.)

Tesla does not recommend charging to 90% each day. For daily driving you should charge between 50% and 90%, as required.

How much battery drain are you experiencing in your Model Y overnight? Are you certain that Sentry mode is set to be off at your home location?

As noted short distance driving is the least efficient as far as warming or cooling the passenger cabin. Consider having the glass tinted with a quality ceramic tint film. Set the Climate Control to Auto, Fan speed Medium or Hi, cabin temperature to 72F. Turn on the recirculate cabin air setting.

If possible, take a road trip (Vegas perhaps.) That will provide a better idea of your range at typical highway speeds. Realize that driving faster than 75 MPH will greatly increase consumption (Watt-hours per mile) and reduce your range. Download A Better Route Planner (ABRP) onto your phone when planning charging stops for a road trip. You will quickly see that range is not a limiting factor as the Tesla Supercharger network is extensive, especially in California and the popular travel destinations in the neighboring states, especially Nevada.

Upvote 0
$4300 is not THAT bad for what is likely a complicated install.. perhaps you'll get it back for resale of the condo?
I don’t know… That seems pretty high. They had to run conduit from one side of my house to the other side of my house, while drilling through a concrete pad to do it, opening a wall, installing a sub panel, installing the charger, and I told him I wanted copper wire over-spec’ed for the entire run. That was only $1500. (Not including the charger which I bought on my own separately.)

Upvote 0
I don’t know… That seems pretty high. They had to run conduit from one side of my house to the other side of my house, while drilling through a concrete pad to do it, opening a wall, installing a sub panel, installing the charger, and I told him I wanted copper wire over-spec’ed for the entire run. That was only $1500. (Not including the charger which I bought on my own separately.)
I was just imagining jackhammer through rebar and concrete on a commercial parking deck but I have no idea.. I guess if you're going to go through that much work you should put in 4 or 6 stalls anyway

Reactions: GBMaryland
Upvote 0
He's in California tho. I can tell you first hand that the estimate is about where it should be. It's expensive to install things in a parking garage and the charger is often a specialized one that can perform load sharing in these multi-tenant properties.

• Helpful
Reactions: GBMaryland
Upvote 0
New tires will break in over the first 1000 miles; there will be some improvement in efficiency. Keep tires inflated to at least the recommended 42 PSI (measured in the A.M., cold before the Tesla Model Y has been driven.)

Tesla does not recommend charging to 90% each day. For daily driving you should charge between 50% and 90%, as required.

How much battery drain are you experiencing in your Model Y overnight? Are you certain that Sentry mode is set to be off at your home location?

As noted short distance driving is the least efficient as far as warming or cooling the passenger cabin. Consider having the glass tinted with a quality ceramic tint film. Set the Climate Control to Auto, Fan speed Medium or Hi, cabin temperature to 72F. Turn on the recirculate cabin air setting.

If possible, take a road trip (Vegas perhaps.) That will provide a better idea of your range at typical highway speeds. Realize that driving faster than 75 MPH will greatly increase consumption (Watt-hours per mile) and reduce your range. Download A Better Route Planner (ABRP) onto your phone when planning charging stops for a road trip. You will quickly see that range is not a limiting factor as the Tesla Supercharger network is extensive, especially in California and the popular travel destinations in the neighboring states, especially Nevada.
Vegas here I come, thank for your input.

Upvote 0
Charger installation cost reduction:

1. Find at least 3 contractor bids
2. Review wiring plan. My contractor quoted high cost when my first wiring plan go around the garage.
I reviewed the plan to make the wiring have the shortest path from the main breaker. This knocked out more than $1200.

Upvote 0
As others have said short trips are bad for efficiency, just like a gasoline car.

You may want to consider a 20A, 120V outlet to trickle charge your car at home if it’s practical. It may be far less expensive than a 240 charger.

The car should not be losing more than a mile or two of range overnight. If it is, something is keeping the car awake.

Upvote 0
Yeah, If you have any regular 120V outlet in your condo - use it! You ll get 40-50 miles of range with overnight charging.
My friend lives in the house, have a garage, simple 220V installation setup possible. But he decided not doing so because 120V charging is enough for him for daily short trips. And for the long trips he just supercharge.

Upvote 0