Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Non Premium X front doors just auto presented!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So I just grabbed my fob and walked into the garage to get something out of our non Premium Pkg X and double clicked on the top of the fob as I approached (as I always do to unlock the car) and the car's front driver door just swung open for me. I literally stopped in my tracks and blurted a profanity!
Kind of startled me actually.
Having put 4,000 miles on her and having been in and out of this car probably hundreds of times without this happening this was surprising to say the least.
To be clear, there is no auto present tab in the control/settings menu.

I tried over and over to replacate this to no avail.

I know it was the fob press that did this but not sure if how I pressed the top may have triggered It.
A bug maybe that for a split second gave me a premium sneak peak?

Anyone else have this experience?

So I just grabbed my fob and walked into the garage to get something out of our non Premium Pkg X and double clicked on the top of the fob as I approached (as I always do to unlock the car) and the car's front driver door just swung open for me. I literally stopped in my tracks and blurted a profanity!
Kind of startled me actually.
Having put 4,000 miles on her and having been in and out of this car probably hundreds of times without this happening this was surprising to say the least.
To be clear, there is no auto present tab in the control/settings menu.

I tried over and over to replacate this to no avail.

I know it was the fob press that did this but not sure if how I pressed the top may have triggered It.
A bug maybe that for a split second gave me a premium sneak peak?

Anyone else have this experience?

The newest software upgrade enabled key fob to open the driver door by double pressing the top key. This is not an auto presenting door feature, simply an upgrade for the key FOB.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and SW2Fiddler
Received my Model X in early June. I do not have self presenting doors. However, on three separate occasions the X front door opened on double clicking the key fob top. Trying to repeat immediately doesn't work. Not sure what the trigger is but wish I knew as I think I like the open on command better than the auto present function.

• Informative
Reactions: GSP and EV Family
Received my Model X in early June. I do not have self presenting doors. However, on three separate occasions the X front door opened on double clicking the key fob top. Trying to repeat immediately doesn't work. Not sure what the trigger is but wish I knew as I think I like the open on command better than the auto present function.
Perhaps the car was already unlocked at the second try. The release notes say the door opens when the car is unlocked by the key. On my PUP two clicks opens the door all the time regarless of whether it is locked or not. Maybe on non-PUP you get the literal unlock AND open only. (I have auto-present off)

Mine is also non-PUP and this happened to me once after the recent firmware upgrade, then the next night it upgraded the firmware again and the feature disappeared. I think they accidentally added this feature to all cars and then pushed the fix the next day.

Auto present means that when you walk up to the car, the drivers door opens without you needing to do anything else. Having the door open on a fob commanded unlock is not the same. That feature is part of 2.30.7x and up.

That pretty much sums it up. There is no confusion. Model X front doors are motorized in all configuration (they have to be motorized because of the way it latches).
Auto present feature is with the PUP only but IMHO it is a useless if not dangerous feature that can have unpredictable outcomes based on the parking scenarios.

My non-PUP Early June delivery just had updates on the fob & the car just on Friday. This morning, I testing the fob for the door open. It worked only once out of four attempts, each from the same location, each about 10 min apart (the car was shut down in between each). It's a mystery, but it would be nice if it worked reliably!

That pretty much sums it up. There is no confusion. Model X front doors are motorized in all configuration (they have to be motorized because of the way it latches).
Auto present feature is with the PUP only but IMHO it is a useless if not dangerous feature that can have unpredictable outcomes based on the parking scenarios.

Just because the hardware is the same, and that these are two different features doesn't mean there isn't confusion.

The confusion is whether a non-pup car has the automatic open on double-click to unlock or not. Or is that supposed to be limited to just the pup package? Keep in mind that Tesla does so a lot of configurations within SW. Like Autopilot for example.