Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY passenger seat frame twisted in rear-end collision

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Tesla Model Y Rear Crash Shows Concerning Front Seat Damage

I would hope that Tesla is going to investigate and if there is a seat frame design issue, it is resolved asap through a TSB at a minimum. I would also have to think that the NHTSA will also be investigating since this is posted for the public to see, as a seat frame shouldn't twist like that even in a rear-end collision this severe.

I agree with the article, though, it would have been a tragic accident if this was a MY with the 3rd row option. But I feel that would be the case with any smaller 3-row SUV in a similar accident.

I might be just perpetuating gossip...I don't know any facts about this...
but I saw another thread about this a week or two ago, and someone wrote that the driver indicated the passenger was reclined at the time of impact.

Do we know whether the seat was damaged upon impact? Or whether the Fire Department couldn't open the front door and broke the seat to retrieve the passenger after impact?

There are so few details in this story, and it's irresponsible for InsideEVs to publish it without first establishing those details.

EDIT: Evidently this is also not uncommon during high-speed rear-end collisions. And the NHTSA has said there's not enough evidence of additional risk of injury for them to regulate seats more: Collapsing Vehicle Seat Backs: What Can You Do?

Last edited:
Reactions: mtndrew1