Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY "real world range" article

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
In over two months of real world driving we have done no where near that poorly. And we use the AC constantly, as it’s already quite warm where we live. And we usually keep climate control on to keep the car cool while running our errands. And... my wife is a real lead foot. He totally lead footed that test for the accelerations, etc. as you can see from the charts.

So, in the end, I’ll take our almost 2,000 miles at 273 wh/m over his BS 364 wh/m over 72 miles any day.

ß

Last edited:
I'm not going to watch the video, but there are a number of factors including speed, weather, and heating/cooling. There is no one "real world" number. It is advisable to lower your speed if you need additional range.

Tesla has supercharger stations that are far closer than 200 miles apart, so what scenario, in particular were you looking for where you need 265 miles before you can charge? Virginia is well-covered in terms of supercharger stations.

Unless you have a 200 mile round trip commute you will probably never even notice this.

Real-world highway tests with the Kona and Bolt beat this number.

I don't understand why you mention the Bolt and the Kona in a thread about the Model Y. How about the supercharger network for those cars? With those cars 200 miles of range is all you ever drive from home in many areas.

Interstate vs Hwy Vs City seems to be the descending order of range. EPA and all manufacturers use the first as the standard and that is what is advertised. I can safely say I get the rated range, possibly better in ideal situations; on a flat interstate highway going 70 or less in good weather with no stops I will average 250W/mile. Other times in stop-and-go traffic in the Tx Hill country using A/C it will climb to 400+ W/mile. And everything else in-between.

ICE cars usually give highway and city mileage ratings, it would be nice if the EV manufacturers did the same or something similar.

Reactions: empiredown
Never mind that you have to drive in a way that impedes average traffic flow to achieve rated range, but I feel its deceptive as people rarely charge to 100% and run down to 0%. EV manufacturers should advertise 90-10% to better reflect RW usage.

I don't know about that. I think it's already nice of them to advertise rated range. ICE vehicles don't tell you the range at all. They just say 27MPG/30HWY. Could have an 8 gallon tank and have a range of 225 miles, or it could have a 20 gallon tank and have a range of 560 miles. If EV manufacturers wanted to, they could just say "This car has an efficiency of 125MPGe", and you'd have no idea what that meant for range. Just like with ICE vehicles.

They can't account for how every different person will use and drive their vehicle. If my current car's rated highway mileage is 30MPG, and I am only getting 26MPG on the highway because I am going 90MPH, that isn't the fault of the manufacturer that I am getting less range than what the EPA tests show is possible (that would be a 50 mile range decrease on a 12 gallon gas tank by the way).

If you want the 316 miles of range, it is possible to attain. That is all the EPA rating is saying.

I don't know about that. I think it's already nice of them to advertise rated range. ICE vehicles don't tell you the range at all. They just say 27MPG/30HWY. Could have an 8 gallon tank and have a range of 225 miles, or it could have a 20 gallon tank and have a range of 560 miles. If EV manufacturers wanted to, they could just say "This car has an efficiency of 125MPGe", and you'd have no idea what that meant for range. Just like with ICE vehicles.

They can't account for how every different person will use and drive their vehicle. If my current car's rated highway mileage is 30MPG, and I am only getting 26MPG on the highway because I am going 90MPH, that isn't the fault of the manufacturer that I am getting less range than what the EPA tests show is possible (that would be a 50 mile range decrease on a 12 gallon gas tank by the way).

If you want the 316 miles of range, it is possible to attain. That is all the EPA rating is saying.

Exactly. The whole range thing was an issue back when EVs couldn't go more than 40 miles a day. Less than 10% of Americans have a commute of more than 70 miles roundtrip. Tesla is not for those guys with a 200 mile round-trip daily commute, but with the supercharger network, the "range" if the car is unlimited. Just like with a gas car.

I agree that there is a lot for the average new Tesla owner to know and learn, but you can't ask them to pass a second drivers test in order to buy an EV. Tesla also competes, vaguely, with other EV manufacturers, and so the rated range is a necessary national standard.

Yah, good summation. We live in a valley, maybe 200 KM long most speed limits are 90 kmh with the odd spot at 100 kmh and lots of towns with speed limits of 50 to 60 kmh. It is ridiculously easy to exceed the EPA range of 518 km with our model 3. Our projected was at 621 km when we charged (for first time) to 100 percent. It wouldn't surprise if we came close under our daily driving conditions. EPA range is a reference. Thats it. We tend to keep it between 40 and 80 percent so we'll probably never know

49980905521_322f5f1b42_c.jpg

• Disagree
Reactions: coconutboy84
All good points, but the question is, we are paying for the advertised range, and not half it like my Performance Model 3: Performance not getting 310 miles promised

Ok not half, but 55-65% of the EPA range... question is not if is practical, or if we can supercharge it etc etc.. question is I paid for a 310 miles range car, advertised same as LR RWD 310 at the time December 2018 .... but ok, the EPA was based on 18" wheel, I would be happy. with 260 miles REAL range... and not 170-210 range... that's very far from 315 range... Try calling Tesla on that, they will open your black box and just say you were above 65mph, so you broke the law, you were wrong blah blah, battery is fine...

Not sure how to make this big deal, post was seen by many. Maybe a call to CA Attorney General would work, will see.

All good points, but the question is, we are paying for the advertised range, and not half it like my Performance Model 3: Performance not getting 310 miles promised

Ok not half, but 55-65% of the EPA range... question is not if is practical, or if we can supercharge it etc etc.. question is I paid for a 310 miles range car, advertised same as LR RWD 310 at the time December 2018 .... but ok, the EPA was based on 18" wheel, I would be happy. with 260 miles REAL range... and not 170-210 range... that's very far from 315 range... Try calling Tesla on that, they will open your black box and just say you were above 65mph, so you broke the law, you were wrong blah blah, battery is fine...

Not sure how to make this big deal, post was seen by many. Maybe a call to CA Attorney General would work, will see.
Unless you think Tesla is cheating on the EPA application, your beef should be with the EPA test regimen and rating policies.

Unless you think Tesla is cheating on the EPA application, your beef should be with the EPA test regimen and rating policies.
I feel like EPA numbers are more accurate on fossil and hybrid due to the fact that BEV are disproportionately affected by the elements when compared.

BEV are more efficient as a rule however the usable energy you can store still represents a “handicap”.

I feel like EPA numbers are more accurate on fossil and hybrid due to the fact that BEV are disproportionately affected by the elements when compared.

BEV are more efficient as a rule however the usable energy you can store still represents a “handicap”.
The efficiency of ICE vehicles is more consistent at various speeds and conditions, when compared to BEVs. People aren't used to the large change in consumption in BEVs when comparing around town with highway travel. In addition, as you mentioned, the weather (temp/wind) also has a much larger effect on BEVs.

It's the high variability of BEV energy consumption along with what I'd call an inadequate EPA rating system (SAE J1634) that leads to confusion and disgruntlement from BEV owners.

Reactions: ElectricIAC
I’m new to my Tesla Y. Less than a week. How can I know if I am getting reasonable mileage from my charge. Please educate me. Thanks
Look at your trip meter cards in the bottom left of the display. If your trips are consuming less than 300 Wh/mi, I'd say you're getting reasonable mileage. There's no hard and fast answer here as it depends on how you drive, your wheels/tires, the weather, etc. For example, it might be 20-30 Wh/mi higher if you have the 21" wheels .

Pretty much the only thing you can use EPA numbers for is comparison shopping. If car X has more range than car Y, then that's fine. All other bets are off though.