Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

my S doesn't respond at all

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
So my 13S is dead in the water. Popped the nosecone and put 12v to it and still nothing on both fobs and the phone app. Tried to have Tesla wake it up no go. Got no warning as to 12v battery low. Cannot get into the car. Main batt is charged. She hasn't had a software update for a few months. So I'm trying to weigh my options. Worried that it may be the main battery and if so may need to get it to Gruber or another like repair facility. Or should I tow it to the dealer to determine the problem then go from there. What I'm really hoping for is one of you gurus come up with a better idea. Thanks

Try this:

Open frunk and disconnect (don’t cut) the First Responder high voltage loop - wait 5-minutes
Remove the negative terminal from the battery - wait 5-minutes
Reattach the negative terminal to the battery - wait 5-minutes
Reconnect the high voltage loop.

Now try to open the door.

I cant seem to get the frunk open, I think its only manual pull is under passenger side dashboard (which is real helpful). Thought I could pop it once I put 12v to it but no joy. Because it wont roll I'm thinking I need not a flatbed but a normal tow truck to lift the front and dolly the rear wheels. Only going about 8 miles to dealership.

I cant seem to get the frunk open, I think its only manual pull is under passenger side dashboard (which is real helpful). Thought I could pop it once I put 12v to it but no joy. Because it wont roll I'm thinking I need not a flatbed but a normal tow truck to lift the front and dolly the rear wheels. Only going about 8 miles to dealership.
Jump post fuse could be blown, rust, etc. could be preventing charging of the 12v. Once you pop the frunk you can try jumping the battery directly first then try replacing. Much easier than towing to the SC right off the bat.

Last edited:
OP already tried to jump it via the posts behind the nosecone. Towing maybe an issue as you can’t put it into tow mode, which risks damage to the DU.
OP, I’d try submitting a service ticket and have a Ranger come out. They can prob get the frunk open and try to jump the battery or replace it for you.

Appreciate the video gonna have to try that when she gets back from the dealer. Only had the Tesla (my first) for about 5 months and earlier I somewhat predicted this by asking a similar question on this forum. I bought a quick jump battery pack but where did I put it... in the frunk, haha not so smart. Not sure I can carry it anywhere in the Tesla if/when this happens. But I just ran jumper cables and had spark to those two posts but hopeful they didn't connect though to the 12v battery. If they did I fear the big battery might be the issue. I've read where you may get no warning when the drive battery fails, it has charged beautifully and no issues. Fingers crossed... suppose to hear from the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for all your advise.

Reactions: DerbyDave
Appreciate the video gonna have to try that when she gets back from the dealer. Only had the Tesla (my first) for about 5 months and earlier I somewhat predicted this by asking a similar question on this forum. I bought a quick jump battery pack but where did I put it... in the frunk, haha not so smart. Not sure I can carry it anywhere in the Tesla if/when this happens. But I just ran jumper cables and had spark to those two posts but hopeful they didn't connect though to the 12v battery. If they did I fear the big battery might be the issue. I've read where you may get no warning when the drive battery fails, it has charged beautifully and no issues. Fingers crossed... suppose to hear from the dealer tomorrow. Thanks for all your advise.
So they got it on the flatbed without issue? Did they just drag it on and the wheels were locked in place? You mean the Service Center right vs a normal shop? (Sorry, not trying to be nit picky/pedantic…)

It got towed where no wheels turned. Earlier I mentioned that due to the fact it was locked down and unable to roll a flatbed wouldn't work. So a more standard tow truck raised the front and then they put a tow dolly under each rear wheel (it elevates the rear of the car about 4 inches above ground). I asked the guy had my car been facing towards the garage would that have cause a problem and he said he would have raised the rear and tow dollied the front. Because my car is only rear wheel drive I believe he could tow it without the need for dollies on the front wheel, whereas the front wheels could be on the ground due to no front drive unit, he thought the same. Yes it is at the Service Center in Agoura Ca.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
So here's my update. Towed it to the dealer. Dealer said "12v ground strap was loose and not seated all the way onto the terminal". I asked as to how they gained access to the frunk but the mechanic that fixed wasn't working today. I suspect he manipulated the latch like a blogger posted earlier but not sure of that. Had I been able to open the frunk would I have been smart enough to check the ground terminal which makes perfect sense now? Not sure cuz my battery is not easily accessible, but I will be checking it from now on. The same dealer replaced that battery about a year ago. Lesson learned...NO GROUND no nothin. Jump posts wont help in this case. Which also explains why I did not receive a low battery warning. No charge from the SC.