Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My silky smooth 320 mile road trip with almost 100% AP control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'd hope it will eventually be touch, not force, sensitive.

Well, the reason it isn't touch sensitive is there isn't any sensor in the wheel that would provide that capability. It can only detect torque so you have to provide resistance against the wheel.

So while many things in a Tesla do indeed get better over time (hello OTA updates!), this is a situation where it would require Tesla to put some new hardware (i.e. a different steering wheel and sensor, likely) to get that capability.

Maybe 'eventually' they will decide to rev the hardware and do this. Or they may decide to go the camera monitoring the driver way like Cadillac does.

Model 3 does have an interior-facing camera. Rumor has it that it 'aimed' at the cabin as a whole to (eventually, when it is turned on) provide users on the "Tesla Network" some re-assurance that people in their cars aren't dirtying it up or doing inappropriate things in there (i.e. it is nanny-cam type camera for passengers). But I am not sure anyone knows for sure. Maybe it is possible for that interior cam to be used for driver attention duties, but I personally don't think so. My logic is that the complaining about nagging is so strong (or at least from a vocal minority) that IF Tesla COULD use that Model 3 interior camera for driver attention purposes, I'd think it WOULD.

Compared to last year, AutoSteer has improved considerably, though I'll still take control sometimes in narrow lanes (with a divider near one lane line) or if the adjacent vehicle is on or close to the lane line.

The biggest issues right now are due to periodic phantom braking (when the software incorrectly detects an obstacle) or bad speed limit data, either of which can result in unexpected rapid braking on highways, in the middle of high speed traffic. And now that the software will automatically reduce speed based on the speed limit database - the poor speed limit data Tesla started using in mid-2017 is a major problem on several of our area highways with recent construction (with missing or incorrect speed limit data).

Cameron, that was very informative. Although your post was intended to document AP, I think you also gave me one additional, big nudge towards the larger battery on my Model 3. As a former Santa Barbara resident I used to ride my motorcyle much more than drive a car and a favorite route was over 154 to points North. I would never have thought of skipping 154 in favor of boring, but flatter 101. (Skipping 154 also means skipping Cold Spring Tavern on Stagecoach Road just off the 154 -- and that would be a mistake.)
One thing I do regret is not getting a larger battery pack. 300 mile range is a sweet spot, especially for these longer drives.
I did a route from LA to San Francisco. First time I followed tesla navigation on where to stop to charge. Tesla nav likes you waiting until the car is fully charged before you keep going. This can lead to longer waiting times.

Next time I learned my lesson and used ev trip planner. Had me waiting less at superchargers. Sure it was more stops but overall time was less.

But yes a 300 mile range battery pack would have been much better