Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My silky smooth 320 mile road trip with almost 100% AP control

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK, feel free to strap yourself into your car and turn on AP2 and tie your hands behind your back

Even if AP2 wouldn't nag/deactivate if one did that - obviously no one should do tie their hands behind their back at this point as everyone knows. It's beta level 2 software! Despite that, AP drove, for one continuous stretch, for 1.5 hours without any intervention, including some challenging high speed curves. I was hyper attentive and on high alert. But it did it and it was amazing. Can AP1 do that same route and same speed for 1.5 hours continuously? I assume so (?). But I have no idea. But I did it with AP2. Taking into account every block and mile driven, I physically had manual control for ~15 mins (max) of a 5 hour trip! Did the car need me to intervene at various points, even on the freeway? Yes, of course. And I did. Again, I am sorry to you and other folks who find AP2 unusable or unsafe. It's level 2 and thus requires attention. But for me and my car and my experiences, it has been great, that's all I know.

Even if AP2 wouldn't nag/deactivate if one did that - obviously no one should do tie their hands behind their back at this point as everyone knows. It's beta level 2 software! Despite that, AP drove, for one continuous stretch, for 1.5 hours without any intervention, including some challenging high speed curves. I was hyper attentive and on high alert. But it did it and it was amazing. Can AP1 do that same route and same speed for 1.5 hours continuously? I assume so (?). But I have no idea. But I did it with AP2. Taking into account every block and mile driven, I physically had manual control for ~15 mins (max) of a 5 hour trip! Did the car need me to intervene at various points, even on the freeway? Yes, of course. And I did. Again, I am sorry to you and other folks who find AP2 unusable or unsafe. It's level 2 and thus requires attention. But for me and my car and my experiences, it has been great, that's all I know.

I loved your post. Well written and honest first hand experience. Don't take the negative folks personally. Many negative folks here are not even owners and it is easy to speculate why they are here posting negative, divisive comments, (stock shorters, legacy automaker connections, etc...) Certainly some newer owners feel less than satisfied, but again, welcome to the first world problem brigade. I have AP1 and it is the finest car I have ever driven. (Mercedes, Audi etc... previously) hands down. Enjoy the ride!

Getting one now won't prove anything, since all the new cars are shipping with hardware 2.1 or 2.5 or whatever they're calling it.

No, it's the same hardware unless you get a Model 3, which uses 2.5. Why change the hardware

Rock on, I'm glad you are enjoying your car and not trying to detract from that. All of us are very lucky to be having these first world problems, no doubt about it.

No, it's the same hardware unless you get a Model 3, which uses 2.5. Why change the hardware

Not according to this:
Tesla has a new Autopilot ‘2.5’ hardware suite with more computing power for autonomous driving

"In a statement to Electrek, a spokesperson confirmed the existence of the new hardware suite, but they downplayed its importance:

“The internal name HW 2.5 is an overstatement, and instead it should be called something more like HW 2.1. This hardware set has some added computing and wiring redundancy, which very slightly improves reliability, but it does not have an additional Pascal GPU.”

The spokesperson also said that all Model S, Model X, and Model 3 vehicles being ordered today come with the new hardware."

Could you please list a production car that can drive itself on a freeway with clear lane markers at 70mph for 50 miles? I couldn't find one other than Tesla last time I looked.

I've owned two cars that can do this about as well as my MS: a 2014 Audi A6 and a 2016 Acura MDX. By "about as well" I mean with an occasional driver intervention. My original point, that Tesla is simply giving a fancy name to what are now very common features in other cars, stands. Each model has its advantages, but I don't think the MS is qualitatively better.

I've owned two cars that can do this about as well as my MS: a 2014 Audi A6 and a 2016 Acura MDX. By "about as well" I mean with an occasional driver intervention. My original point, that Tesla is simply giving a fancy name to what are now very common features in other cars, stands. Each model has its advantages, but I don't think the MS is qualitatively better.

So you are saying your 2014 Audi and 2016 Acura could keep the lane in a highway for extended periods of time say 10 minutes without you needing to steer at all? Is that right?

@CameronB Thanks for this very useful data and analysis. It seems clear that AP2 has evolved into a competent Adaptive Cruise Control /Lane-Keeping Assistance equipped vehicle, able to perform well for long stretches of highway driving. In this, based on your report, it has now reached parity with the ACC/LKA systems found on other high-end cars for the last several years.

By eschewing industry-standard terminology and grandiously calling these useful and now-common capabilities "Autopilot", and by allowing the system to be used on local streets where its behavior is erratic and dangerous, Tesla has created expectations that cannot be met. I think that's the reason for the different perceptions that you so respectfully referenced. I look forward to someday having a self-driving car that can handle construction zones, off-ramps, children darting out from between parked cars, etc. Tesla and other manufacturers are probably ten years away from that, though Tesla lies about both its current and imminent capabilities. In the meantime, we can enjoy the limited but helpful benefits of what we do have for freeway/highway driving.
You have no idea what you're talking about.
Autonomy is not an all-or-nothing process. It's an incremental process, with capabilities being added one by one.
It will still be improving in 50 years, but is already available now.

Then you don't own a Model S.
You don't know how it feels to know your car will hold its lane, to be able to relax as your car is barreling down a country road in outback Australia.

♀️
So you are saying your 2014 Audi and 2016 Acura could keep the lane in a highway for extended periods of time say 10 minutes without you needing to steer at all? Is that right?

Anticipating some reaction to my early morning statement, I kept a mental journal this morning. I no longer own the Audi, but I took my Acura on a 102 mile trip on the Mass Pike (I-90) this morning, starting at the intersection with I-95 and ending in the Berkshires.

Upon entering the highway (we don't call them freeways here because they ain't free), I set the adaptive cruise control to 73, turned on the Lane-keeping assistance, and moved into the left lane. The car then drove itself for the whole 102 miles, with the following interventions on my part:

1. Heavy traffic rapidly slowing from the 70s to about 20 mph. I braked manually out of fear that the ACC wouldn't do it in time to keep my passenger comfortable.

2. An idiot cut in front of me going slower than me; I braked again.

3. I slowed manually so that an 18-wheeler stuck in the right lane behind a slower truck could pass. (I wonder if FSD cars will be programmed to perform such courtesies.)

4. In a construction area, with both old and new lane lines, the lane-keeping couldn't decide what to do.

Other than that, the system maintained its lane and speed with only a required tug on the wheel every minute or so to tell it I was still there.

All of the above interventions took perhaps two minutes out of my two hour trip, so the car was fully self-driving about 98% of the time.

During the trip I changed lanes perhaps a dozen times, mostly to allow drivers behind me who wanted to go faster to pass. The Acura doesn't have automatic lane changing. That said, at 70+ mph all that's needed to change lanes is a slight nudge on the wheel, something experienced drivers do almost without volition.

Admittedly the Acura - which cost about half of what my MS cost - can't do wonderful EAP things like automatically transition from one freeway to another. The Tesla I was sold in a bait and switch scam can do those things, but the Tesla you and I actually have can't,

I have (had) an Audi A6 Avant but without the option so cannot tell.
But according to a quite recent test of earlier this year by a french magazine, you can see on this YouTube video:
that:
  • Audi
  • BMW
seems to be completely out of contention for the time being. AP is just ping-ponguing the car left and right, you have to keep your hands on the steering wheel almost all the time, it disconnects abruptly where others do not and if you are not watching you would have an accident...
Basically, it seems it is still a NO-GO to use those Audi and BMW systems.

Mercedes is also tested and seems to be in the right direction but not yet to the level of the Tesla.

• Informative
Reactions: EinSV
No disrespect but i'm having a hard time believing your Acura MDX is that good. Of course I have zero experience with newer Acura's.
I did recently have a Chrysler 300 loaner and if the road was straight it could have stayed in the lane for 10 minutes or more. Not the drunk lane keeping my wife's 2016 Lexus has. It's terrible and just plain annoying.The S? Just blows away all my passengers

• Helpful
Reactions: EinSV
No disrespect but i'm having a hard time believing your Acura MDX is that good. Of course I have zero experience with newer Acura's.
I did recently have a Chrysler 300 loaner and if the road was straight it could have stayed in the lane for 10 minutes or more. Not the drunk lane keeping my wife's 2016 Lexus has. It's terrible and just plain annoying.The S? Just blows away all my passengers

Maybe you should test drive one and report back?

The Audi's I've driven will keep you in the lane, but the goal isn't to self-drive but to prevent lane excursions. Therefore, if you just keep your hand off the wheel on the highway, during turns you will simply ping-pong off each lane marker. It wasn't as good as AP2 in my opinion. But AP1 is superior to AP2, and AP2 is not EAP it is actually AP 0.8.

found some videos on youtube regarding the Acura ACC and LKA. Below is what I found

- Lane keep assist only works at speed greater than 45 mph.
- It won't work on more than a gentle curve.
- It gives warning if steering is not detected within 13 seconds.
- When the car comes to a complete stop, you have to tap accelerator to resume motion

you can find more videos and info on youtube.

Tangible, this route seems pretty tough even for AP1!

Attachments

• route.PNG
    route.PNG
    158.5 KB · Views: 61
Cameron, that was very informative. Although your post was intended to document AP, I think you also gave me one additional, big nudge towards the larger battery on my Model 3. As a former Santa Barbara resident I used to ride my motorcyle much more than drive a car and a favorite route was over 154 to points North. I would never have thought of skipping 154 in favor of boring, but flatter 101. (Skipping 154 also means skipping Cold Spring Tavern on Stagecoach Road just off the 154 -- and that would be a mistake.)
It's been 30 years since I was at Cold Spring Tavern. Great memories and glad it's still there. And oh how I miss living Santa Barbara! But Santa Cruz ain't bad.

Thanks for the memory!

Oh, please. Do we really have to wait for someone to get hurt before you'll acknowledge what everyone can see? On local roads AP2 lurches across double yellow lines and threatens to plow into oncoming traffic. The standard of comparison shouldn't be human drivers in general; it should be drunks, texters, and six-year-olds sitting in daddy's lap to play driver --- and Tesla AP2 would lose.
Confused. I think @calisnow 's request is completely reasonable. I agree that the system is not there yet. But I applaud Tesla for allowing us to stress test it. Unfortunately, we have seen a tragic death of one who used the system ignorantly. He paid the ultimate price for it in Florida. But we have not seen any other documented issues such as kids darting out, etc. I certainly hope that we never do. Early on we had the truly ignorant doing all sorts of risky and (IMO) absurdly stupid things. But fortunately, that seems to have gone away...at a price of Tesla needing to add annoying nags and speed limits, which ruins for the rest of us.

Reactions: 1 person

I'm confused by the "no disrespect". You're accusing me of lying while admitting you have no evidence. That seems like the epitome of disrespect. If you're interested enough to dispute my eyewitness account, I would urge you to visit a dealer and take a test drive, and then we can have a respectful disagreement if necessary.

@mcbarnet007 quoted this about the Acura:

- Lane keep assist only works at speed greater than 45 mph.
- It won't work on more than a gentle curve.
- It gives warning if steering is not detected within 13 seconds.
- When the car comes to a complete stop, you have to tap accelerator to resume motion

That's somewhat correct, though the steering nag seems more like a minute. The drive I described was on an Interstate highway, with gentle curves like most interstates. When the car comes to a complete stop you can either tap the accelerator or touch the RESUME button on the steering wheel.

Please note that I'm not claiming the MDX is extraordinary; I'm claiming the Model S is ordinary for its class, because other cars perform similarly without outlandish claims.

Reactions: oktane