Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Solar Roof install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
How much did they increase the price?

From the initial online estimate on the old configurator it doubled. There are a few factors to this.

The online estimator asks you for your house square footage then tries to estimate your roof square footage. Our house is about 2,800 square feet two story and the website pared that down to 1,800 sq ft for the roof estimate. Our garage is attached but mostly it's own structure with separate roof and the total roof area of the house is around 2,500 sq ft. Once somebody looked at the satellite images I got a renewed quote that was 20% higher.

Then the price adjustment happened and along with some extras that I requested like replacing a sky light the overall cost was double from the original online quote.

The new configurator seems more accurate now providing you have an idea of your roof square footage. After you put in your house square footage and get a quote you can edit the details and put in your actual roof square footage, and along with choosing the simple/moderate/complex roof layout I was able to get close to my end price on the new form.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the product and end result. Yes the price change sucked but I did have the feeling that the original cost was too good to be true. And some got their roofs at that price and that's awesome for them. I still wanted it even after the increase. I understand that there is a class action brewing over this and if anything comes my way as a result I'll likely just invest that back into TSLA.

Reactions: JRP3
From the initial online estimate on the old configurator it doubled. There are a few factors to this.

The online estimator asks you for your house square footage then tries to estimate your roof square footage. Our house is about 2,800 square feet two story and the website pared that down to 1,800 sq ft for the roof estimate. Our garage is attached but mostly it's own structure with separate roof and the total roof area of the house is around 2,500 sq ft. Once somebody looked at the satellite images I got a renewed quote that was 20% higher.

Then the price adjustment happened and along with some extras that I requested like replacing a sky light the overall cost was double from the original online quote.

The new configurator seems more accurate now providing you have an idea of your roof square footage. After you put in your house square footage and get a quote you can edit the details and put in your actual roof square footage, and along with choosing the simple/moderate/complex roof layout I was able to get close to my end price on the new form.

Overall I'm extremely happy with the product and end result. Yes the price change sucked but I did have the feeling that the original cost was too good to be true. And some got their roofs at that price and that's awesome for them. I still wanted it even after the increase. I understand that there is a class action brewing over this and if anything comes my way as a result I'll likely just invest that back into TSLA.
Thanks for the info.

Have a full week of production now. Highest single day production so far is 92.7 which isn't on this chart. Anxious to see the winter performance to see if I have enough production to stay off grid year round.

On Saturday I got home after sundown with 5% in the MS which would have wiped out my PW's if I let it charge overnight so waited till Sunday and charged it during the day. Which is why there was nothing going to the grid that day.

B6F135BE-8E73-45F8-8D0E-2E2F6155B402.jpeg
3798746A-BBFE-436E-A7C6-0FAC6C13EF94.jpeg

• Informative
  • Love
Reactions: jboy210 and JRP3
Ordered the Solar Roof on Feb 10th, install completed on May 14th. I did get affected by the price increase but went through with the install anyway. Aside from the price increase the overall experience was very positive. The install crew was great and the finished product is just amazing. I wanted the inverters in the garage next to the founders Powerwalls and they were able to find a way to route the conduit to make that happen. The install took 3 days of tear-off and underlayment then 5 days of install for a total of 8 days.

We passed inspection today and now just waiting on PTO.

Here are some pics of the install progress and finished product. I'm very happy with how it all turned out.

View attachment 664294View attachment 664296View attachment 664297View attachment 664299View attachment 664300View attachment 664301
View attachment 664304
View attachment 664306

The patio cover is also a bi-facial solar shade structure, obviously not installed by Tesla. It's on the west side of a two story so doesn't produce to it's potential being shaded half the day but it's technically a 6.375kw system making the overall system 19.125kw.
View attachment 664307
View attachment 664308
I'm in the tear off stage , what size thickness plywood did they use ? wondering if they cut back since cost is three times the amount now