Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Solar Roof install

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Ordered the Solar Roof on Feb 10th, install completed on May 14th. I did get affected by the price increase but went through with the install anyway. Aside from the price increase the overall experience was very positive. The install crew was great and the finished product is just amazing. I wanted the inverters in the garage next to the founders Powerwalls and they were able to find a way to route the conduit to make that happen. The install took 3 days of tear-off and underlayment then 5 days of install for a total of 8 days.

We passed inspection today and now just waiting on PTO.

Here are some pics of the install progress and finished product. I'm very happy with how it all turned out.

562F1238-C69B-4E1E-BD3F-47F1BD8E363C.jpeg
E9E02854-D5BE-4A5D-8D5D-98204FBA19FE.jpeg
D89A3285-2C9F-4B6C-92B6-43F367CC2ED9.jpeg
1ADAE983-1D9D-47C9-854B-3F28A3709A76.jpeg
31CD2A40-0EE0-4A27-B5F4-300168FB6FD2.jpeg
E91D33F1-71DE-4BC4-AA97-DFAE990B240E.jpeg

084F88A2-F361-4E6B-B4A6-0B4236C79966.jpeg

FF183F61-F9A9-4724-8AC2-9AD7E391899A.jpeg

The patio cover is also a bi-facial solar shade structure, obviously not installed by Tesla. It's on the west side of a two story so doesn't produce to it's potential being shaded half the day but it's technically a 6.375kw system making the overall system 19.125kw.
4F9DCD77-5D68-47DF-B0B5-7047EAAE6EEE.jpeg

27962754-5699-42B2-842D-174561DCF46D.jpeg

Last edited:
Looks nice, and I am glad to hear the install experience was positive, as that has been the one near-constant for the solar roof. How big was the crew? They really have sped up the process since our install (which took over two weeks for a smaller roof) though part of it may be having larger crews.

Reactions: aubreymcfato
Looks nice, and I am glad to hear the install experience was positive, as that has been the one near-constant for the solar roof. How big was the crew? They really have sped up the process since our install (which took over two weeks for a smaller roof) though part of it may be having larger crews.
The tear off crew was maybe 6-7 and the install crew was about the same. Plus two electricians to run conduit and wire up the inverters.

Ordered the Solar Roof on Feb 10th, install completed on May 14th. I did get affected by the price increase but went through with the install anyway. Aside from the price increase the overall experience was very positive. The install crew was great and the finished product is just amazing. I wanted the inverters in the garage next to the founders Powerwalls and they were able to find a way to route the conduit to make that happen. The install took 3 days of tear-off and underlayment then 5 days of install for a total of 8 days.

We passed inspection today and now just waiting on PTO.

Here are some pics of the install progress and finished product. I'm very happy with how it all turned out.

View attachment 664294View attachment 664296View attachment 664297View attachment 664299View attachment 664300View attachment 664301
View attachment 664304
View attachment 664306

The patio cover is also a bi-facial solar shade structure, obviously not installed by Tesla. It's on the west side of a two story so doesn't produce to it's potential being shaded half the day but it's technically a 6.375kw system making the overall system 19.125kw.
View attachment 664307
View attachment 664308
When is the pool party? Love it!

I really dig that solar roof for the patio. I didn’t know that was even a thing.

Curious if you know the price difference between a standard patio roof vs the solar. If it’s not very efficient than it’s largely aesthetic. But they appear somewhat translucent too; which is awesome for a shade patio.

Thanks for sharing.

I really dig that solar roof for the patio. I didn’t know that was even a thing.

Curious if you know the price difference between a standard patio roof vs the solar. If it’s not very efficient than it’s largely aesthetic. But they appear somewhat translucent too; which is awesome for a shade patio.

Thanks for sharing.

The inefficiencies are from the orientation, they're 375w panels. If my backyard faced south it'd be a different story. It was more than a standard aluminum patio cover but being solar the panels and supporting structure is covered under the federal tax credit. Since the whole thing is a supporting structure then the entire project qualified. I think it broke down to about $5k more than a non-solar patio cover once accounting for the tax credit (30% at the time).

The spacing between the solar wafers lets the perfect amount of light through IMO. Also being bi-facial it can generate from both sides so any light bouncing off the pool to the underside could be picked up if strong enough. It's also sealed in which our previous cover was just slats, so even it's raining I could be out there BBQ'ing.

Boy, that was a long pole for your camera. :)
The inefficiencies are from the orientation, they're 375w panels. If my backyard faced south it'd be a different story. It was more than a standard aluminum patio cover but being solar the panels and supporting structure is covered under the federal tax credit. Since the whole thing is a supporting structure then the entire project qualified. I think it broke down to about $5k more than a non-solar patio cover once accounting for the tax credit (30% at the time).

The spacing between the solar wafers lets the perfect amount of light through IMO. Also being bi-facial it can generate from both sides so any light bouncing off the pool to the underside could be picked up if strong enough. It's also sealed in which our previous cover was just slats, so even it's raining I could be out there BBQ'ing.
Congrats! Amazing looking system. Once you have PTO you will be checking your app constantly to see Solar Production and stats. Look forward to hearing your generation numbers!

Reactions: Mokuzai and bobby g
Where did you get the patio roof with the integrated solar panel or was this custom made? I have been looking for a standard product like this but have not been able to find something I like.

Locally it was a company called Alumworks who are primarily an aluminum patio cover company. They had partnered with a solar company to provide this product. So finding somebody in your area that can do the same may be hit or miss. Usually you see such things in parking lots or carports which is more of a commercial thing. Pretty sure anything like this is a custom application.