Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My solution to the dim trunk lighting

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I got one of these: Amazon.com: Megabrite: Wireless - Motion Sensor - Undercabinet LED Lights: Home Improvement

Covered it in black tape (though not really necessary).
Velcro'd it on the vertical surface of the interior of the lift gate.

Advantages:
[1] No wiring needed.
[2] Motion sensor turns on when the trunk is opened.
[3] Really, really bright.
[4] Where I've mounted it, it can't be seen from inside the car or really even when the lift gate is open; the black tape just makes it even less evident.

IMG_1874.jpg

I just bought a similar one from Amazon, though I think I like yours more. I tested it out the other day, and for the most part, it stayed off while driving. Occasionally, it activated, perhaps from something moving in the trunk. Does this one have an off switch just in case?

Yes, I wish someone made these in black.

Same idea, different version

Great idea but I did it differently as in the picture below. Instead of the hatch lid or trunk wall, I velcroed it upside down to the underside of the parcel shelf track then swiveled it (it is hinged) into the position that you see. I did the same for the frunk, attaching it to the front wall under the OEM light. As stated in a previous post, it has a 3-position switch: off-on-auto(motion detection). I got mine at Costco.
LEDs.jpg

Great idea but I did it differently as in the picture below. Instead of the hatch lid or trunk wall, I velcroed it upside down to the underside of the parcel shelf track then swiveled it (it is hinged) into the position that you see. I did the same for the frunk, attaching it to the front wall under the OEM light. As stated in a previous post, it has a 3-position switch: off-on-auto(motion detection). I got mine at Costco.
View attachment 34084

Im more curious about the nice job on the parcel shelf .... post some close ups of that!

Last edited:
I'm a bit late to this thread, but... I used the following light in my trunk:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/Auto-Motion...t=LH_DefaultDomain_0&var=&hash=item5d4415bdcb

I used half of a sticky-back velcro strip to attach it to the underside of my parcel shelf, right where the shelf folds (on the side closer to the front of the car). The motion sensor is IR-based, so random things moving around in the trunk shouldn't activate it. In fact, one night I stuck my iPhone in the trunk, camera facing up (toward the light), and recorded a "video" of my commute home, to verify that it doesn't turn on while driving. It was kinda interesting watching a black screen and hearing the sounds of the motor coupled with the music I happened to be listening to at the time. :)

It's definitely not as bright as the other ones in this thread, but it's still a significant improvement over the stock lighting. I'm considering buying another one or two. One for the frunk -- although I almost never use the frunk except to show people "under the hood" -- and/or one to try different configurations in the trunk, e.g. two under the parcel shelf, or perhaps on the sides like caddieo did.

IMG_3267.JPG

I purchased a set of the Megabrites from the first post. Very happy with it. I masked over the lights, sensors and switch, and painted it black with primer. Just used double sided foam tape.
I only have one installed so far and it works great. I will do the same for the other side later, then the frunk.

Here are pics of the light before painting:
IMG_1895.JPG

Lights after painting:
IMG_1897.JPG

Trunk without extra lighting:
IMG_1901.jpg

With one Megabrite added (notice all the dirt on the floor :redface: ):
IMG_1902.jpg

Last edited:
Very nice -- a much more elegant solution than my black tape maneuver. If we could only find a manufacturer that sells black motion sensing LED lights...

Another option which the native color isn't as objectionable as the white plastic ( but still would look better in black): Fulcrum 20032-301 6 LED Motion Sensor Weatherproof Light - Amazon.com

Nothing quite like having to kludge together something like this for a $90,000+ automobile!

I remained thrilled beyond belief with Model S, but boy, did the design team have some major oversights...

Last edited: