Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OP is in Arizona, so I wouldn't assume a Leaf is a good choice.
Why not?

Leaf has AC, very efficient, low footprint, modern features both safety and general, more range than a high schooler is doing in a day, cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix, way cheaper insurance, etc, etc, etc.

Plus the Leaf comes standard with “all the time chill mode” and speed limiting…😂

Last edited:
Safety is definitely important but there are cheap cars with good safety ratings. The faster 0-60 acceleration on an EV is actually a safety negative. The Tesla dashcam footage is probably safety positive because you can watch the recordings to see when the recordings have been activated. The most important safety factor is the teen behind the car and also the fact that they are still in the process of learning how to drive. I don't think any features necessarily make a car "safe" for a teen because aggressive driving and risk taking is what makes teens riskier drivers. I would spend money on driver's ed and regularly do check ins on driving habits.

I'm shocked they're trying to sell a Civic/Corolla for 30K. It'd be great if there were safe used vehicles at lower price points, though you might have to do some research. A M3 is not really an entry-level vehicle that most people associate with teens.

Safety is definitely important but there are cheap cars with good safety ratings. The faster 0-60 acceleration on an EV is actually a safety negative. The Tesla dashcam footage is probably safety positive because you can watch the recordings to see when the recordings have been activated. The most important safety factor is the teen behind the car and also the fact that they are still in the process of learning how to drive. I don't think any features necessarily make a car "safe" for a teen because aggressive driving and risk taking is what makes teens riskier drivers. I would spend money on driver's ed and regularly do check ins on driving habits.

I'm shocked they're trying to sell a Civic/Corolla for 30K. It'd be great if there were safe used vehicles at lower price points, though you might have to do some research. A M3 is not really an entry-level vehicle that most people associate with teens.
If you think 30k is a lot for a Civic, look up what a Civic Type R goes for :)

• Funny
Reactions: fredjan and vickh

he did do a defensive class . Home | B.R.A.K.E.S. Teen Driver's Training For Safe Driving and Accident Prevention

Yes. mark ups like pandemic days in AZ (for the hybrids). Not with TSLA that's the difference

Why not?

Leaf has AC, very efficient, low footprint, modern features both safety and general, more range than a high schooler is doing in a day, cheaper to buy, cheaper to fix, way cheaper insurance, etc, etc, etc.

Plus the Leaf comes standard with “all the time chill mode” and speed limiting…😂
The AZ (hot) climate destroys the traction battery in the Leaf quite quickly (no active thermal management).

Reactions: fredjan and vickh
The model 3 is the way to go. Kids need to be exposed to
the future not the past. You avoid 2am calls the old car broke
down. Lets not forget you can track the car real time.
Its not a hellcat or a makeout van with shag carpet.
It only fits a pony keg in the back.
In 20 years he may still be driving it.
Just get a white one, the arrest me red maybe too much.
Its only money.

Reactions: fredjan
Wife has a 2016 Prius. He refuses for the same no EV reason which would be a perfect hand-me-down.

Corolla is a closet hybrid

If you can get the Kia/Hyundai theft issue fixed...

Old Hyundai Elantra that is modern enough for backup cameras. They were mandated in the US in 2018, but I don't know when Hyundai standardized them across models. Probably not a good suggestion, tbh, since you don't know if it was ever stolen.

No Nissans.

Yeah, just get an "older" modern Toyota/Honda/Mazda that has backup cameras. Don't get a Dodge.

Personally, I think it would be hilarious if you bought a 2017ish Miata. Lol. Wonder how he would react.

If you think 30k is a lot for a Civic, look up what a Civic Type R goes for :)
Tbf, the type R is not just a Civic, just like the Elantra N is not just an Elantra (though they share everything with their respective "base" models).
I'm wondering why OP's son insists on getting a gas car, i.e. what he saw/heard that made him think he would get picked on for driving a Tesla. Has he been hanging out in weird online spaces?

We found the tesla safer and more controllable than a used vehicle for a young person
You can pin key, limit the speed and force chill mode, a parents dream
Mine is set to chill mode, but sometimes I see a gap in the traffic where it "makes sense" for me to punch it and squeeze into that gap in the traffic. Chill mode really does not stop you from driving non-chill. I tried to have the car lock down the video game teen that lurks inside this middle aged man's body. Sorry to say, it really doesn't do that, I wish it did. M3 on chill mode can still drive more aggressively than a Civic/Corolla due to instant acceleration.

Its not a hellcat or a makeout van with shag carpet.
When I discovered Tesla's camping mode, my first thought was the air conditioned hanky panky that's gonna happen with the seats folded down.
Wife has a 2016 Prius. He refuses for the same no EV reason which would be a perfect hand-me-down.

Corolla is a closet hybrid
There are Chevy Bolt EVs out there that dealers are starting to list after replacing the battery. The Bolt EV has a lot of similar safety features. Maybe that's worth a look.

Reactions: WyoDude
When I discovered Tesla's camping mode, my first thought was the air conditioned hanky panky that's gonna happen with the seats folded down.
Thanks for the info, I though you just used doge mode.

I think your son is missing an important fact, you are what you drive.
Tesla folks get Tesla partners, Vet get Vet partners, Lambo get Lambo partners.
I hate to think what Honda/Kia/Ford folks get.

Almost forgot the weekly , I need $20 for gas dad stuff.