Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
As I said in my first post in this thread, I still dont know what the intention is / was for the OP in this thread, since there was no question in the first post.

These type of threads (with "these" being "threads about a car for the posters child / children") almost always turn into referendums / judgement on parenting, like this one mostly has. "Why do they need a new car?" "We bought our kids used cars that cost under XX,XXX (or X,XXX or even sometimes XXX) and they were fine", New drivers dont need ......" "When I was a kid, I walked 6 miles to school, up hill, both ways!"

I mean, I am guilty of it myself, with my first post in this thread.

This makes no sense, just about how much more grip my new tires have,
and will post the results of my sticky tires.
I think at time all of us want a defi9ned ending of a problem, some have none.
This may not be a simple, it is what is is and I find it fun and refreshing that
we are in a non-convergence world with humans. If some fun things go for ever
so be it. Long live the model 3 and its users.

My teen son wants a new Civic/Corolla Hybrid but I want him to get a new/used RWD 3 ~ same price. He's worried he'll get picked on/mocked/keyed etc at school.

RWD 3 about 30K after credits, and dealers around here refuse to budge on Civic/Corolla Hybrid citing "inventory issues"

Makes no sense to pay that much for a Civic/Corolla Hybrid.
He will definitely get mocked if he rolls up in a Tesla with those stock aero wheel covers. Show him some aftermarket wheels and the difference they make on the vehicle. I personally love the 19 inch turbine style attached.
IMG_0536.png

He will definitely get mocked if he rolls up in a Tesla with those stock aero wheel covers. Show him some aftermarket wheels and the difference they make on the vehicle. I personally love the 19 inch turbine style attached.

I suspect his circle of friends have some Tesla-bashing in their histories. There's really no reason someone would be concerned of being ridiculed for driving a Tesla unless they've actually seen it happen.

Speaking of... early on, Tesla was very "cool with the kids", and I attribute that to Elon and his antics, as well as some of the immature features of the car (fart noises, external speaker playing ice cream truck music, etc)... plus just being ahead technologically.

Today, I think it's heading in the opposite direction of "uncool with the kids", and it's also due to Elon's antics - but this time it's buying Twitter and being republican (since the Democratic party seems to be doing a much better job reaching kids through media).

It's unfortunate, but perhaps he'd actually feel a bit embarrassed to drive a Tesla.

Save rhe money, just use Uber covers doing dbl duty protecting against curb rash
View attachment 961112
He’ll be cool with the kids driving ok these
🥴
Perhaps you are in the segment of people that view the look of a wheel or wheel cover unimportant to the coolness of a vehicle. I can tell you with 100% certainty teenage boys don’t fall into that group. Tesla had put out some aesthetic eyesores over the years in the wheel cover department. Should we do a top 3 worst countdown.
1. The original s aero wheel. This was so tragic it was completely discontinued and arguably ruined the entire look of the car. IMG_0537.jpeg
2. The current model y & s Gemini wheel cover. Another really tragic look for such a beautiful car.
IMG_0538.jpeg
3. The model 3 current wheel cover. Enough to turn any teen against the company.
IMG_0539.jpeg
Do this kid a favor, get him the civic if you will force him to drive around with these on the car.

• Funny
Reactions: XPsionic
Today, I think it's heading in the opposite direction of "uncool with the kids", and it's also due to Elon's antics - but this time it's buying Twitter and being republican (since the Democratic party seems to be doing a much better job reaching kids through media).

It's unfortunate, but perhaps he'd actually feel a bit embarrassed to drive a Tesla.
This is exactly it. I'm on reddit a lot and the Tesla bashing there is insane. If I were OP I would not get my kid a Tesla. For me a Tesla is mostly an economical choice that's enjoyable to drive, to some people purchases are political and identity statements.

The driving enthusiast in me thinks it's bonkers that a 18 year old would prefer a slow a s s hybrid Toyota. If I were 18 with rich parents buying me a car I'd ask for an older RWD sporty car like a V8 Camaro lol. A Corolla hybrid? I'd be so embarassed to drive that at any age, it's for middle aged people who wants to commute in peace!

There are Chevy Bolt EVs out there that dealers are starting to list after replacing the battery. The Bolt EV has a lot of similar safety features. Maybe that's worth a look.

Again, this. Lots of used Bolts under 20k, even the odd Premier. They have front and rear safety packages and good visibility. Sleeper hot hatch.

Son can say he asked for a new Civic but his dad wouldn't spend the money.

Reactions: WyoDude
As I said in my first post in this thread, I still dont know what the intention is / was for the OP in this thread, since there was no question in the first post.

These type of threads (with "these" being "threads about a car for the posters child / children") almost always turn into referendums / judgement on parenting, like this one mostly has. "Why do they need a new car?" "We bought our kids used cars that cost under XX,XXX (or X,XXX or even sometimes XXX) and they were fine", New drivers dont need ......" "When I was a kid, I walked 6 miles to school, up hill, both ways!"

You are of course correct, but it appeared that the OP was looking for support to encourage kid to prefer a Tesla over a Civic. And if we are gonna help with the analysis, we need the backstory: why does kid need a car? have a job 50 miles away on country roads? or to go to the mall to hang out with friends? is kid close to a supercharger? what is the plan when kid goes to college in 2 years? why does kid not want a Tesla? (they might have valid reasons; I know plenty of folks who have become Elon-haters and would never buy a Tesla even if they are better cars). Who is paying?

Reactions: vickh
Right it has been 110+ for a month now (record heat wave even for us in PHX)
Lots of leaf owners in warm climates including AZ reporting their cars do fine, biggest concern is if you are doing lots of quick charging and interstate driving in the heat.

Nissan reports an expected 5% difference in battery for Arizona after 5 years, which isn’t crazy but they have a 8 year battery warranty. You can get 2017-2018 and have warranty for a handful of years.

Leaf is just one option. Prius or Bolt would also be similar options.

Again, this. Lots of used Bolts under 20k, even the odd Premier. They have front and rear safety packages and good visibility. Sleeper hot hatch.

Son can say he asked for a new Civic but his dad wouldn't spend the money.

Chevy Bolt and even Trax looks good and cheap. But worried about GMreliability and safety vs TSLA 3s have been solid and love the mobile rangers for issues.

Lots of leaf owners in warm climates including AZ reporting their cars do fine, biggest concern is if you are doing lots of quick charging and interstate driving in the heat.

Nissan reports an expected 5% difference in battery for Arizona after 5 years, which isn’t crazy but they have a 8 year battery warranty. You can get 2017-2018 and have warranty for a handful of years.

Leaf is just one option. Prius or Bolt would also be similar options.

We do not care for the space age looks/ reliability concerns

You are of course correct, but it appeared that the OP was looking for support to encourage kid to prefer a Tesla over a Civic. And if we are gonna help with the analysis, we need the backstory: why does kid need a car? have a job 50 miles away on country roads? or to go to the mall to hang out with friends? is kid close to a supercharger? what is the plan when kid goes to college in 2 years? why does kid not want a Tesla? (they might have valid reasons; I know plenty of folks who have become Elon-haters and would never buy a Tesla even if they are better cars). Who is paying?

You're right I need and got arguments for the TSLA (perfect forum). and other PHEV/hyrbid type options that look "good" at the ~$30K price point

The parenting tips are funny, but got that covered in another forum ;)