Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla buying/servicing/after sale support experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My M3 has it's first birthday next month. It's a thrill to get in it everyday (not hyperbole; just is!). Had a few minor issues, all handled very well. No build quality issues. I feel lucky though after reading about others having problems. Getting updates is like getting a new car almost every time. Pink clouds and unicorns......

Reactions: trnunes
Great thread, nice to hear positive notes about Tesla.
I've been buying new cars since 1963 so don't talk to me about dealers, 1st car White Chevy Impala Convertible. The back window zipper failed to complete, father in-law got soaked.
2nd car Olds Cutlass Blue, was delivered to my business on a drizzly day, front seat was soaking, went back to dealer and was parked in an alley and was damaged by ice falling off their roof.
3rd Chevy Impala Lime Green, probably the best car for being able to work on.
4th Ford Elite, (leased) better if I should have bought an Edsel, paint peeled the first month from the entire rear 1/4 panel, the trunk was not accessible due to the spare wheel, all tires blew within weeks of one another, all steel belted, carburettor would flame out, at no time would the dealer accept responsibility. I ended the lease in 18 months, just parked it outside the dealer.
5th car Volkswagen Rabbit, peppy but too small for a family, fiddly little problems and rust.
6th car Audi's 1st year, Wankel 5 cylinder engine, car was delivered to me a week after I had ordered it I was told it had to go thru a stringent dealer check over, German engineering. Holiday weekend driving downtown started to show hot, parked it quickly, to late it cracked the head, even dealing with Volkswagen Germany got me know where
7th car. Volvo, was almost stolen in New York city wished it had been, couldn't get rid of it fast enough, shocks, rust, you name it, plus the kids called it the toaster.
8th car, Honda Accord, the best car for 10yrs, couldn't kill it, daughter had it for college, gave it to high-school auto-class.
Went thru a series of leased Chrysler vans, 4 in all, each with it's own headaches, the worst being the harness burning up in rush hour traffic, I ran five red lights knowing full well that if I stopped so would the van, pulled into the driveway, you're right dead.
13th car, leased Hyundia XG 300, love the ride in this car. Maintenance was high and so was gas, leasing was tricky on return.
14th car, back to leased Honda Accord, I totally did not like this car, ride, feel, went thru tires, closed the lease out four month early, dealer irked.
2007 Bought a 2004 Hyundia XG 350, private deal for $7500, 6900 miles, had a bent rear control bar easy fix. Great ride.
2011 bought a 2006 Jaguar S Type on eBay while vacationing in Florida, very low miles, absolutely love this car. Nightmare having shipped to Canada, but that's another story.
The Jag I'll save because it is beautiful and is only driven for show.
Gave the Hyundia to my granddaughter last year, and bought a 2015 Tesla S 85D in August..
Plug and go, what could be easier than that.
When I see the blue sky this week because billions of ICE vehicles are off the roads only confirms my reasons for buying the Tesla
The other reasons are no oil changes, valves, plugs, air compressors, transmissions, gear boxes, etc.
In all the years of buying cars I can't pinpoint one dealer that I could say was forthright, they all fell short after the sale.

@retepnivlag,

Loved your story, as mine is similar -- though I don't think I could have told mine as richly/colorfully :) . And after several decades of mostly North American cars + a Honda that refused to die (which, btw, I ended up shipping to my parents, who've since used it for another ten years w/practically zero probs), I'm also loving the used S I bought this January (pic in thread above); for all the reasons you listed and more.

Again, great post!

Excited to read this from OP. I'm awaiting my delivery through the Kansas City service center too. So far, with the exception of my sales rep being out of the office one day, replies have been quick to my questions. I'm hopeful the rest of the process will go as smoothly as yours. I ordered an inventory 3, but it was in the transportation hub in Chicago when I ordered it, hoping it will be wheels on the ground here in KC shortly. Although the sales rep did tell me it could be a week or two before it arrives in KC, I'm waiting (somewhat impatiently).

Excited to read this from OP. I'm awaiting my delivery through the Kansas City service center too. So far, with the exception of my sales rep being out of the office one day, replies have been quick to my questions. I'm hopeful the rest of the process will go as smoothly as yours. I ordered an inventory 3, but it was in the transportation hub in Chicago when I ordered it, hoping it will be wheels on the ground here in KC shortly. Although the sales rep did tell me it could be a week or two before it arrives in KC, I'm waiting (somewhat impatiently).
I'm going to echo what OP said about the KC service center. They are awesome. Ordered my car the last week of February, was supposed to pick it up March 6th. KC team answered my 5000 questions and never had an issue getting ahold of someone. Car got delayed coming from California and didn't pick it up until the 13th. They kept me up to date with where it was at the whole time. Drive my trade in up to KC, they spent a couple minutes looking at it, signed some paperwork and had my car out front to look at. Car was nearly flawless. Couple marks on the outside and some dirty spots on the white seats that the detailer quickly came out and cleaned up. There was one scratch on the driver's mirror. The service tech came out with a new one and replaced it on the spot. Was there a grand total of 20 minutes. Even managed to get a Chademo adapter while I was there.

Two days after I picked it up, I dropped it off to get XPel Stealth installed at a shop here in Wichita. They found some clear coat bubbling on one fender that was really hard to see but would cause issues with the wrap. I called the KC team and they worked directly with the shop to figure it out. They don't have a Tesla direct bill shop in Wichita so they just sent me a check to reimburse the cost for the shop to fix it. Had the check within a week.

Haven't had to use mobile service yet (sitting at 600 miles in 2 months including the drive back from KC thanks to currently working from home). I've heard it works great around here though. I did get a nail in my tire and used the app to get a free tow to a local tire shop for a patch.

I picked up my car on March 17 right as the area was starting to shut things down. I'll add to the good KC comments. I did have to ask and push to get some updates and things done that I felt the Tesla mothership should have taken care of, but in each case the SA responded quickly and took care of things. The delivery went fine with no issues. The car looked great, fit and finish was fine. Sure, there were a few little things I could probably point out, but overall nothing worth mentioning. I only have a little over 700 miles on the car, but so far it has been just fine.