Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Tesla Story

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Mine works, but I wish it would tell you what it is doing. The first time it happened, I knew where I was going and just thought the nav had gone wonky...and so ignored it... until I ran into a big traffic jam. I'd like a pop-up or something when the route changes from normal to the "detour".

Same thing has happened to me twice. Agree with the need for more explanation.

Funny, From Elon's email tonight:

Navigation includes real-time traffic data from the car's cell connection, and it will dynamically adjust your route as traffic conditions change. In the morning and evening, it will alert you and offer an alternate route if your normal route is congested.

3. The AC controls are poor. I keep needing to fiddle with it, and I know that I'm not alone. If I set it to LO it'll blow cold air at a fan speed of 11. But if I set it to 67, it wont set the fan high enough to cool the car off.

Agree 100%! And, it hasn't changed or improved since 2013. On the P85+ when I set the temp at 72 (when it's 80+ outside) it's too hot in the car and I have to adjust the fan speed manually or reduce the temperature to 67 for it to feel comfortable. I have a BMW 5 series and when I set it to 72 in auto mode it's always comfortable in the car and it manually adjusts the blower to match the interior temperature. I'm guessing on the model S the issue is due to sensor placement and vent locations that haven't been updated or revised on the model S.

Funny, From Elon's email tonight:

Navigation includes real-time traffic data from the car's cell connection, and it will dynamically adjust your route as traffic conditions change. In the morning and evening, it will alert you and offer an alternate route if your normal route is congested.

Mine did this yesterday after work. When I got in the car, there was a dialog box saying that there was traffic and did I want to launch Navigation for an adjusted route (or something like that). I clicked "Yes" and it launched the Nav system with my directions to home. What was interesting is that it was showing my normal route home, not a detour. I set out and as I got on the freeway a message popped up saying I was being re-routed and it would save me 9 minutes. First time I'd seen that, but it went away after a couple of seconds. Sure enough, it had me getting off the highway early and taking back roads. But then, I noticed it doing this "dynamic" thing and changing my route on the fly. This time, there was no pop-up or warning. It worked well enough and got me home. I wish it would leave an icon or something on the Nav directions summary screen to indicate you're on an "altered" route, and maybe even some information about the detour if you tap it.

Mine did this yesterday after work. When I got in the car, there was a dialog box saying that there was traffic and did I want to launch Navigation for an adjusted route (or something like that). I clicked "Yes" and it launched the Nav system with my directions to home. What was interesting is that it was showing my normal route home, not a detour. I set out and as I got on the freeway a message popped up saying I was being re-routed and it would save me 9 minutes. First time I'd seen that, but it went away after a couple of seconds. Sure enough, it had me getting off the highway early and taking back roads. But then, I noticed it doing this "dynamic" thing and changing my route on the fly. This time, there was no pop-up or warning. It worked well enough and got me home. I wish it would leave an icon or something on the Nav directions summary screen to indicate you're on an "altered" route, and maybe even some information about the detour if you tap it.
I'm surprised you got the first dialog. I've never been asked, it's always just the auto-rerouting. If you happen to be looking at the screen you might notice something, but no pop-up or dialog. This needs to be fixed as it could leave you stranded if you are already arriving low on charge.

I'm surprised you got the first dialog. I've never been asked, it's always just the auto-rerouting. If you happen to be looking at the screen you might notice something, but no pop-up or dialog. This needs to be fixed as it could leave you stranded if you are already arriving low on charge.

I might have seen "recalculating" or something like that in the past, but there's never been a popup to tell me what it's doing.

Also, the nav still sucks. Funny story from a few days ago. My wife was driving, and we navigated to a place we've never been. The nav tells us X minutes/Y miles. OK, fine. We're driving along, and look at the map, and she says "why can't I take this street? it'll clearly be shorter/faster than making the loop the nav wants us to". I shrug, so she takes the shortcut. "Recalculating" goes onto the nav, and BAM! The time estimate is now shorter as well as the miles estimate (2-3 mines time, maybe 1-2 miles).

Google maps never does this crap. I double check the cars nav with google maps every morning to look for the least trafficy approach to get to work, because the nav is just so unreliable.

First for me too. It was right there in the middle of the 17" as soon as I powered up the car. I do have "Home" and "Work" locations saved, and drive at predictable times, so I guess the car learned my patterns.

Also a first to get that initial pop-up a bit later telling me it was re-routing and how many minutes it was saving me. Problem is, if you're not paying attention, it goes away and there is no indication you're on a modified route. Subsequent re-routing on the trip did not include this pop-up.

First for me too. It was right there in the middle of the 17" as soon as I powered up the car. I do have "Home" and "Work" locations saved, and drive at predictable times, so I guess the car learned my patterns.

I get that initial pop-up all the time, but it doesn't say anything about traffic (I don't think? I stopped reading after the first few times). It just tells me would you like to navigate to home/work?

Also $200 deductible with the extended warranty is outrageous

Deductibles on extended warranty is like a doctor's office co-pay - designed to ensure there's a real reason to call on the warranty.
The the way Tesla has provided over-the-top service, I can see that customers with an extended warranty would likely continue to report every little thing - on their 4+ year old car.
So a deductible makes sense.

Is the extended warranty underwritten by Tesla, or is it a handled by a regular extended warranty company?

I get that initial pop-up all the time, but it doesn't say anything about traffic (I don't think? I stopped reading after the first few times). It just tells me would you like to navigate to home/work?

I've only seen it the once, and it definitely was in the context of traffic problems extending my drive time beyond the threshold I'd saved in Settings (10 minutes in my case). My commute is against the flow of normal traffic, so unless an 18-wheeler flips over or something, my commute is generally hassle-free and, as such, I would have few opportunities for the Tesla Nav to do this.

Really? Perhaps you can provide that authoritative source of your statement. Sorry, but unless you can produce a written document from Tesla, your statement is misleading and patently false.

Here is a link to the Blog Post by Elon. You'll note the third bullet from the top says "$600 annual service now optional with no effect on warranty". This came out right after I had purchased the pre-paid plan on the belief it was required. It doesn't specifically refer to the "extended" warranty plan, but in my opinion, that is implied.

EDIT: Further detail from the Blog Post:

Annual Service Contract
Unlike gasoline cars, an electric car doesn’t need oil changes, fuel filters, spark plugs, smog checks, etc., which are only needed if the mode of locomotion involves burning oil derived products. For an electric car, you don’t even need to replace the brake pads, because most of the braking energy is regeneratively captured by the motor and returned to the battery.
As such, we are comfortable making the annual checkup entirely optional. There is still value to having Tesla look at the car once a year for things like tire alignment, to address a few things here & there and perform any hardware upgrades – our goal is not just to fix things, but to make the car better than it was. However, even if you never bring in the car, your warranty is still valid.

Last edited:
A little bit off topic, but does American nav recognize two way street with the median as one road? In Japan it seems nav thinks one two-way road consists from two separate one way roads with occasional U turn lanes in between. Thus, the nav tells me to make two right turns many times. Two right turns mean a U-turn. Also U-turns are sometimes not allowed so it's embarrassing to ignore the nav.

A little bit off topic, but does American nav recognize two way street with the median as one road? In Japan it seems nav thinks one two-way road consists from two separate one way roads with occasional U turn lanes in between. Thus, the nav tells me to make two right turns many times. Two right turns mean a U-turn. Also U-turns are sometimes not allowed so it's embarrassing to ignore the nav.

I think I know what you're talking about. And I've seen it both ways. Sometimes it'll tell me to continue driving forward to make a u-turn followed by a right turn (when I could've just made a left turn). Sometimes it gets it correct.

My English is so bad that I couldn't tell you exactly what happened...

So here's what happened. Normal two lane road with a median. I passed the turn point nav instructed, and kept driving.
Now the nav tells me to make a U turn correct? Nope, in our roads, all the time, the nav tells me turn right at the next intersection. When I get into the intersection, the nav tells me to turn right again. So it wanted me to make a U turn but instead told me to make two consecutive right turns.

This means Tesla defined the road incorrectly as two separate, opposite direction going roads. It's not good. Another example is that when I drive on a road perpendicular to that two lane road with a median, and the nav wanted me to turn right, as we drive on the left, the nav says turn right on the SECOND road! Wrong, it's the next road.

This makes the nav almost useless in the city.

I've now had the car for 3 months. Almost 8k miles driven (the miles seem to rack on faster than I expected...)

A few random thoughts/comments:

1. I've had TACC disable in the tunnel for the first time last night (been in that tunnel with TACC on at least a half dozen times, and it worked fine). Something about "front radar obstructed". I've read of other people having TACC disabled in tunnels too, so this was interesting to experience first hand. I think it made a very quick beep or something, and then the regen kicked on. Thankfully there was no one tailgating us.

2. Why doesn't the car have passenger seat memory? This seems like a very simple software fix...

3. I don't have range anxiety, I have supercharger anxiety.... just one specific one, Delaware. I've shown up many times and it was packed (I've thankfully never had to wait, but I have been the 2nd car on the charger more than once, so reduced SpC rate). Last night, I showed up as the first car, after 10mins, all stalls were occupied. They really need to do something about it (Tesla knows, I've emailed them about it too).

4. I posted this elsewhere, but I like to keep my thoughts in one place: Had a P85+ loaner for a day while my car was in for service (2nd time, this time the armrest screws fell out, and the parking sensors weren't acting correctly). For my driving, I'm glad I didn't get the 85D (don't need it for range, but after buying, had a very short period of buyers remorse that I didn't get it for speed). After driving the P85+, I realized that while it's noticeably faster, especially at high speeds, I didn't want to floor it after the first few times I did it (I also almost never floor the 70D).

5. After 8k, I didn't use about $750 in gas (offset after taking into account cost of charging). That's a nice chunk of "savings"!

6. The nav still sucks. It sucks so bad. This is probably my #2 feature I want them to fix. #1 being auto-steering to come out and be at least as good at TACC.

7. I now do a 100% charge before each roadtrip, it makes the first stop shorter. But after driving out from my in-laws house with only 30-40RM, and having to stop at the nearest Spc to get enough buffer to get to the next SpC, and then spending the extra time at the next SpC to get enough buffer to go on, etc. I realized that leaving with such a low SoC added almost an hour to my trip (could've skipped the first SpC completely, and spend about 1/2 the time at the 2nd one). Going to use their dryer plug next time we visit.

8. I lost my first mile... Actually I thought I lost 2RM, but that was a false alarm.