Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My two cents swapping from 21" to 19" Pirelli for winter

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
had a funny experience the other day. a guy came up to me in the parking lot and started oogling over the 21" wheels. didn't say a word about the car, not a single question about the make/model, simply asked if those rims came with the car. I tried to get him interested about the car, through out a few facts... he didn't care, he was so enamored with the wheels. Also, it's warming up here already and wow is it starting to get fun even with just a little bit of sun and warmish pavement. I may just put up with these tires for our short winters, at the very least, I am leaning strongly in the direction of keeping them whether or not I get a set of 19's.

I 100% completely disagree. I downgraded my P85 to the 19s because of poor roads and pothole city , but I have had no issues with traction when flooring it. It is crazy fast. I have a hella fast car, and I get better performance in rain, longer range than the 21s, and a much smoother ride. The 21s are really only for cosmetic look and not worth the maintenance headache and price IMO.

To be fair, I did amend my opinion as it was stated later that performance tires on the 19" rims should perform admirably. That being said, unless you've driven both for any significant time I'm not sure you're in a position to compare the two. I can unequivocally state that the 19" with the Pirelli's have nowhere near the traction on take-off as the 21" with Continentals.