Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My used Tesla buying experience

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
After 6 months of searching I finally bought my first Tesla. I could not afford a new Model S and the Model 3 seemed to stripped down (no offense) for me so I started searching all the possible used Tesla options. CarMax, Autotrader, private party and various dealerships in the Los Angeles area. Most were too expensive or didn’t have all the options I wanted. Finally, it was clear the best place to buy one was directly from Tesla except they were selling so quickly I would always miss out on the good ones. Finally, a few weeks ago a clean 2016 Model S 75 refresh showed up on their site and I pulled the trigger and put down the $2,500 deposit. I have never bought a car without seeing it in person and driving it, so I was nervous about the transaction. All the bad reviews of the Tesla used car buying experience didn’t help either, but I had faith in Tesla. This car was fully loaded with every option except the rear jump seats. It is black on black, 21” rims with brand new tires, and red brake calipers, Bio defense mode, Premium sound, air suspension and of course autopilot (no FSD). The car brand new was almost 100K. My price was $40,900 and complete steal! The only issue was the fact it had 80K miles on it. I didn’t care because I knew these cars were good for 300K+ miles and the warranty would be good for 5 more years from Tesla. I took delivery last week and the process could have not been easier. Either Tesla has improved their used car buying experience or Tesla’s Los Angeles division really has their stuff together. I wanted to see the car before I signed anything and had my check list ready to go over the car thoroughly. The Tesla rep was polite and said sure go out back and look at it. When I saw the car, I crumbled up my check list and threw it out. There was not one door ding or scratch on the entire car. The inside was immaculate, and it even smelled new inside. I am not sure what the previous owner did with this car in 3 years and how he/she kept it so clean for 80K miles, but this car was well taken care of. As a bonus the previous owner never go carpool stickers in California, so I am now able to order those and use them for 3 years. The stickers alone are worth thousands of dollars to me in saved time driving alone in the carpool lane. So, for anyone out there that is worried about buying a used car from Tesla site unseen, do your research keep looking several times a day and don’t give up. You will find your dream car like I did, and you will have no regrets.

Signed,

A new very happy Tesla owner

IMG_1133.jpg IMG_1134.jpg IMG_1135.jpeg IMG_1141.jpg IMG_1142.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1137.jpg
    IMG_1137.jpg
    464.7 KB · Views: 188
Congrats on a very clean looking car! Yeah, unfortunately the used car buying experience from Tesla is really inconsistent. I took delivery of my inventory at the MDR delivery center and my biggest complaint was lack of fresh pastries and beverages but overall my experience was exceptional. Enjoy!

Congrats on a very clean looking car! Yeah, unfortunately the used car buying experience from Tesla is really inconsistent. I took delivery of my inventory at the MDR delivery center and my biggest complaint was lack of fresh pastries and beverages but overall my experience was exceptional. Enjoy!

Yes, I am sure the user experience is different everywhere you go. I guess I am lucky living in LA and this Tesla pickup center is close to where Elon lives and their Hawthorn facility so they have to keep it top notch. Never know when the CEO is going to make a surprise visit.

I bet your situation is a lot more common than those that had negative experiences, but most of the positive sale owners are too busy enjoying their "new" cars to post their stories as you have done. Thanks for showing there are good sales, and of course, some bad ones too. Congrats on your new ride. It looks great!

Reactions: RNHurt and StarLog
I bet your situation is a lot more common than those that had negative experiences, but most of the positive sale owners are too busy enjoying their "new" cars to post their stories as you have done. Thanks for showing there are good sales, and of course, some bad ones too. Congrats on your new ride. It looks great!

Thanks!! Yes, it is good to point out the positive experiences too. Not enough of that around here regarding used purchases. There will always be bad experiences with anything I just wanted to point out a good one so people will know they can get a great used car from Tesla at a great price if they try hard and do all their research.

I just picked up my used Model X from the Fremont location and had a similar experience. The only negatives were: (i) a door ding not shown in the photos, and (ii) only 1 working key fob, which I was instructed would be supplemented with a second key fob at a mobile service appt that they had me set up on the spot (2 weeks later). The first negative was a little disappointing, but we plan to get it wrapped anyways. The second negative was just annoying and something that should've been taken care of before they sold me the car.

Definitely a unique car. Has lots of unusual things going for it.
1. Red calipers, spoiler and metal pedals would make me think it was a "P" model
2. "Facelift" front would make me think that is has AP2+ hardware but the look of the side markers its only AP1
3. "Facelift" + 75 Badge would make me think it has the NextGen/Newer seats, but it has the older style.
4. 21" rims would make me think it is Dual Motor but it is only single motor.

You're not going to see too many cars like yours, Welcome to the family!

1. Red calipers, spoiler and metal pedals would make me think it was a "P" model
2. "Facelift" front would make me think that is has AP2+ hardware but the look of the side markers its only AP1
3. "Facelift" + 75 Badge would make me think it has the NextGen/Newer seats, but it has the older style.
4. 21" rims would make me think it is Dual Motor but it is only single motor.

Yes, you are right about the unique options the former owner ordered or bought/upgraded later. It looks like a P90D or P100D with all the extras. It is a 75 single motor (unfortunately) but I am happy with the looks and it is plenty fast enough for me now. The next one will be a P90D or P100D.

I want to add that none the rims have one ding or scratch on them. I find that so hard to believe after 80K miles that I think Tesla refurbishes the rims. Maybe the former owner did it but it is really strange especially because it came with brand new tires (the same brand and size that comes with a new Tesla). I think Tesla did it.

Last edited:
After 6 months of searching I finally bought my first Tesla. I could not afford a new Model S and the Model 3 seemed to stripped down (no offense) for me so I started searching all the possible used Tesla options. CarMax, Autotrader, private party and various dealerships in the Los Angeles area. Most were too expensive or didn’t have all the options I wanted. Finally, it was clear the best place to buy one was directly from Tesla except they were selling so quickly I would always miss out on the good ones. Finally, a few weeks ago a clean 2016 Model S 75 refresh showed up on their site and I pulled the trigger and put down the $2,500 deposit. I have never bought a car without seeing it in person and driving it, so I was nervous about the transaction. All the bad reviews of the Tesla used car buying experience didn’t help either, but I had faith in Tesla. This car was fully loaded with every option except the rear jump seats. It is black on black, 21” rims with brand new tires, and red brake calipers, Bio defense mode, Premium sound, air suspension and of course autopilot (no FSD). The car brand new was almost 100K. My price was $40,900 and complete steal! The only issue was the fact it had 80K miles on it. I didn’t care because I knew these cars were good for 300K+ miles and the warranty would be good for 5 more years from Tesla. I took delivery last week and the process could have not been easier. Either Tesla has improved their used car buying experience or Tesla’s Los Angeles division really has their stuff together. I wanted to see the car before I signed anything and had my check list ready to go over the car thoroughly. The Tesla rep was polite and said sure go out back and look at it. When I saw the car, I crumbled up my check list and threw it out. There was not one door ding or scratch on the entire car. The inside was immaculate, and it even smelled new inside. I am not sure what the previous owner did with this car in 3 years and how he/she kept it so clean for 80K miles, but this car was well taken care of. As a bonus the previous owner never go carpool stickers in California, so I am now able to order those and use them for 3 years. The stickers alone are worth thousands of dollars to me in saved time driving alone in the carpool lane. So, for anyone out there that is worried about buying a used car from Tesla site unseen, do your research keep looking several times a day and don’t give up. You will find your dream car like I did, and you will have no regrets.

very similar experience to yours. Looked for about 3 weeks on ev-cpo.com until I came across this 2016 MC-Red with 40k miles - super smooth delivery 2 weeks from ordering

Attachments

• fullsizeoutput_2ccf.jpeg
    fullsizeoutput_2ccf.jpeg
    585.7 KB · Views: 150
Congrats! I literally a few weeks ago had the exact same experience. I had the same reasoning as you to buy the used S, and had a very easy buying process. I ended up with a 2016 S 90D - only thing missing is the air suspension. Everything was in perfect shape (the paint is immaculate), except they did have to fix the center console sliding door.

All the work came later - getting the charger installed, finding a cubby drawer, getting to the service center for that console door, and figuring out how/what dash cam to install. If I could have afforded a new Standard Range S I wouldn't have all this post buying activities. Still the most incredible car upgrade I've ever seen (coming from a lexus LS).

Congrats! I literally a few weeks ago had the exact same experience. I had the same reasoning as you to buy the used S, and had a very easy buying process. I ended up with a 2016 S 90D - only thing missing is the air suspension. Everything was in perfect shape (the paint is immaculate), except they did have to fix the center console sliding door.

All the work came later - getting the charger installed, finding a cubby drawer, getting to the service center for that console door, and figuring out how/what dash cam to install. If I could have afforded a new Standard Range S I wouldn't have all this post buying activities. Still the most incredible car upgrade I've ever seen (coming from a lexus LS).

Sounds like a nice car! Let's see some pics of it. I like getting all the extra stuff later since there is not much to modify on a Tesla. Not much to do on mine except window tint and some other minor stuff. I cam from an Infiniti Q50 Hybrid. I thought that car was nice but it is nothing compared to a Tesla. Enjoy yours!!

nice! long time Lexus owner here, had a LS 430 since 2008 and just sold at 130k miles with zero issues my LS 460 that I bought used in February 2019 --- all it took was one drive in my friends Model S back in May

the only thing I miss is the Lexus seats

Yeah- there was a period where if you ordered cloth you got the old style seats. Forgot that they still did that even post refresh.