Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY vs M3 acceleration feel

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Few days ago I got a 2023 model Y long range and before that I had a 2020 model 3 performance for couple of years. It surprises me that MY long range (Without acceleration boost) acceleration feels very close to M3 performance acceleration in normal street/highway driving. Never tested either car in track or drag strip. In between I had a M3 RWD for about a month and difference was very noticeable.

Agreed. New owner of a 2023 MY LR which is the first MY we've owned. Our two other current cars are P90D and a P100D... both with Ludicrous. I had fully planned to take delivery of the MY and pop $2k for the acceleration boost after we took delivery. I expected to be bored and underwhelmed by the "feel" of the acceleration on this one.

Turns out, it feels fine. It's not the Performance Model S cars we own but man... it sure feels good enough to me and my wife both. At no point does it feel slow and serves the purposes we need it for perfectly. We more than likely won't pop for the acceleration boost now which saves me $2k.

I think that some people go into this with improper expectations and maybe are let down. Our expectations were that it would feel much slower so we were very pleased by the stock acceleration. It's an SUV so expecting it to keep up the with likes of an six-figure exotic sports car on the road courses is silly.

This is probably the greatest all-around vehicle I've ever owned as it came from the factory.

There has been some testing done that shows that a M3P vs a M3 AWD with performance boost is about the same from a rolling start...in fact boosted M3 might even have a small advantage on a long pull. The P advantage seems to only be in the first 60 feet or so off the line, where the P gets a significant(2 car length?) jump off the line compared to non P.

From the reports I've seen, performance boost does make a noticeable difference in power. Like you thought, my M3AWD has far more power than I ever need....so paying thousands more for even faster acceleration that I will almost never use seems silly. I'll probably order it someday! 😂

• Funny
Reactions: jpfive and Bouba
There has been some testing done that shows that a M3P vs a M3 AWD with performance boost is about the same from a rolling start...in fact boosted M3 might even have a small advantage on a long pull. The P advantage seems to only be in the first 60 feet or so off the line, where the P gets a significant(2 car length?) jump off the line compared to non P.

From the reports I've seen, performance boost does make a noticeable difference in power. Like you thought, my M3AWD has far more power than I ever need....so paying thousands more for even faster acceleration that I will almost never use seems silly. I'll probably order it someday! 😂
The OP as well as myself are comparing non-Acceleration Boost versions of the MYLR.

The OP as well as myself are comparing non-Acceleration Boost versions of the MYLR.
I know....I guess why point was that it's not surprising that it still feels like it has pretty good acceleration, since, when boosted, it matches or exceeds performance version from a roll. Therefore, even non boosted probably feels pretty strong. Sub 5 second 0-60 in an SUV is plenty.

I have a MYP and owned a 21 MYLR. The P feels much faster than the LR. At the top end though the P feels like it has a little less than my non boosted LR. I noticed this mainly on the highway.

The nice thing about the accelleration boost is that you have 48 hours (verify this before you purchase) to try out the AB and if you don't feel it's worth it you can get a refund.

Honestly if I had it to do over again I would have gone with a LR and got the AB instead. The P can be very harsh on anything other than perfect roads.

Few days ago I got a 2023 model Y long range and before that I had a 2020 model 3 performance for couple of years. It surprises me that MY long range (Without acceleration boost) acceleration feels very close to M3 performance acceleration in normal street/highway driving. Never tested either car in track or drag strip. In between I had a M3 RWD for about a month and difference was very noticeable.
I swapped my 2020 Model 3 with AB for my 2021 Model Y, also with boost. My impression the same as yours. Performance and driving feel very similar. Most noticeable difference is seat height.

I'll be the counterpoint here. I had an MY LR. It felt pretty slow and had none of the Tesla punch I expected. With boost, it finally got to where I thought the LR should have been from the start. For reference, Car and Driver tested a non-boosted LR some time ago and it clocked 0-60 in 4.4 seconds. That is faster MUCH faster than any other non-boosted LR I've seen, and very close to boosted ones. So apparently someone got a really quick LR.

When I got bored very quickly of the Y, we replaced it with an M3 LR. It was so much quicker than even my boosted LR, it wasn't even funny. Add a load in it and it really took the edge off it. The only place I found it reasonably satisfying was from about 10-30 mph. It seems like Tesla neuters the launch on all LR cars, S included. It like they nerf them so as to not compete with the P versions. Adding boost put my 3 LR in the same league as the MYP 0-60 without as hard of a lauch. From a roll the boosted LR is quicker than the MYP in my experience.

While the Y doesn't handle bad, it is more of a low CG than good chasis tuning. I'll take an Acura RDX or any X3 on a backroad over the Y. The 3 seems to handle so much better and has much better driving dynamics. When driving the Y at less than 7/10ths, it isn't bad. So drive it like a soccer parent car and you'll likely love it.

In the end, for me, the Y was just way too boring and the efficiency has been worse than either my S or 3. I didn't give up that much utility going from the Y to the 3. I lost some headroom but have plenty and I gained legroom. I think the 3 is the vastly better car if you don't need the extra room and the driving dynamics and efficiency are definitely superior as well. If you have lower expectations, the Y is a great EV. For me it looked better on paper than it was in real life. YMMV. I think the Y is easier to be picked off by the competition than the 3 is.