Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My wheel literally fell off

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Been a big fan of Tesla and own 2 of them. My wheel fell off without warning yesterday, fortunately not on the highway. 2014 Model S with about 185k on it, taken in for service to Tesla every year without fail, most recently 6 months ago. Car is well-maintained and most people who see it or ride in it assume it is nearly new.

Attachments

• wheelFail.jpg
    wheelFail.jpg
    657.9 KB · Views: 690
Your upper control arm ball joint wore out to the point where it separated. This is the reason some states have mandatory annual vehicle safety inpections. This is 100% avoidable by doing routine, common sense suspension inspections. Worn ball joints can usually be detected at least 20K miles before they fail to the catastrophic point of separation. Most manufactures clearly list the requirement for mileage based frequent suspension inspections in the owner's manual. Tesla doesn't even mention it. Fortunately, you're OK.

Been a big fan of Tesla and own 2 of them. My wheel fell off without warning yesterday, fortunately not on the highway. 2014 Model S with about 185k on it, taken in for service to Tesla every year without fail, most recently 6 months ago. Car is well-maintained and most people who see it or ride in it assume it is nearly new.
Ten years and almost 200K miles🤔 That’s good, definitely gotten your money’s worth.. Time to get a new one 😂

Reactions: fredjan
That balljoint looks horrible. All this time you did not hear any creaking or squeaking noise coming from up front?

I was at a supercharger recently and a Model S was having this typical squeaking noise.
I talked to the owner and shown him the issue. He told me that he never really noticed or heard it.
Glad I mentionned to him, I hope he took an appointment to get it fixed.

Your upper control arm ball joint wore out to the point where it separated. This is the reason some states have mandatory annual vehicle safety inpections. This is 100% avoidable by doing routine, common sense suspension inspections. Worn ball joints can usually be detected at least 20K miles before they fail to the catastrophic point of separation. Most manufactures clearly list the requirement for mileage based frequent suspension inspections in the owner's manual. Tesla doesn't even mention it. Fortunately, you're OK.
As part of the annual service this past December, a 4-wheel alignment was done. Would have expected them to notice that, but apparently not.

I was at a supercharger recently and a Model S was having this typical squeaking noise.
I talked to the owner and shown him the issue. He told me that he never really noticed or heard it.
Glad I mentionned to him, I hope he took an appointment to get it fixed.
In hindsight, there was an occasional noise while turning if I happened to also be going over a bump. But nothing alarming - certainly nothing to suggest the wheel was in imminent danger of falling off.

Yeah, but I've had cars a lot older than this and never had a wheel fall off before.
Early model Ss like yours, and honestly even pre-refresh model 3s have really bad suspension components. I'm surprised your wheels stayed put until 185k miles - you should have seen serious problems and creaking long before this wheel fell off.
It's not a you problem, though. This is on the supplier for producing bad parts, and on Tesla for using that supplier *and* not detecting the glaring issues on time during routine check.

• Funny
Reactions: BMWM3Man
How can you tell? I took my wheels off and looked at the bj and it looks fine. I tried to apply some pressure to it and it seems fine.

Honestly the cars suspension creaks from the factory so that isn't at all a sign something is going bad.

Teslas are technically sports cars.
At 100K ( or certainly no longer than 10 years ) i would naturally replace all major suspension components at all 4 corners

Respectfully...your 2014 Model S was NOT well-maintained. :rolleyes:🤣

Reactions: fredjan