Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MY will not automatically unlock

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Our MY will sometimes not unlock automatically in the presence of our phones. We have to fire up the Tesla app and manually unlock the car. Anyone have ideas suggestions? Thanks.

In general, it will not work through your body (so if you keep the phone in your back pocket, in general it wont work through your body. If a phone is in a purse, and the purse is on that persons back / behind them, it may not work unless they bring the purse in front of them.

Dont expect it to work through your body, is one tip.

Reactions: fholbert
Taking it out of the pocket helps when that happens. Sometimes opening the app while walking to the car will help too.
Yes, often when the car will not unlock, taking my phone out of my back pocket will allow the car to unlock. However, lately, taking the phone out of my pocket is not enough. I will have to run the app (the app is actually always running in the background) and click on the lock icon to unlock the car. Wonder if this problem is a bug introduced with a recent update? I do see others, in recent posts, mentioning this problem.

Reactions: GalacticHero
Yes, often when the car will not unlock, taking my phone out of my back pocket will allow the car to unlock. However, lately, taking the phone out of my pocket is not enough. I will have to run the app (the app is actually always running in the background) and click on the lock icon to unlock the car. Wonder if this problem is a bug introduced with a recent update? I do see others, in recent posts, mentioning this problem.
Doubt it’s a bug that only affects a few. Make sure settings in car are set to unlock on arrival and that you have your phone properly setup in settings to allow always on in background. Worst case I have had is iPhone now goes into low power mode and requires me to lift it to power on screen which instantly unlocks the doors.

Reactions: piarenla
I have had the problem several times lately an Android. Current Samsung version - S23

I don't buy the body theory as I almost always have it in a pocket and it only refuses to unlock every couple weeks or so. And taking it out of my pocket doesn't help. I always have to bring up the app even though it is already running in the background. However, could be something samsung ( and other brans) is doing to 'sleep ;' the app

Same here. I’ve always had to occasionally take the phone out of my pocket and sometimes open the app. Recently (2 weeks to a month) it never auto unlocks.

Reactions: piarenla
Failure to unlock has started with me today after 2 months of ownership and no problems (well not with unlocking). Seem to have tried everything, Powered phone on and off, re installed app, rebooted car screen, re-checked the settings and re-paired the phone with the car. I can stand next to the car and open and close the door lock from the app it just will not do it on approach.
Personally I am running out of patience with this car already. It replaces a 20 year old Jaguar that could superbly detect if it was raining or not and could judge the distance for parking to within a couple of inches, unlike Tesla who think 10 cm and 2 metres is the same thing!. I feel somewhat cheated with this car and would never buy another, surprisingly not with all the thing we are warned to watch out for but mostly by its very poor software.

lol. Ok, so it's not a connectivity issue for sure... 😅
Well I would love to be able to help others out with this issue but I can't, overnight the problem has gone away and things work today as normally expected except only driver door opens at the moment. I think it is a setting I failed to put back to my preference in the scores I changed.

In general, it will not work through your body (so if you keep the phone in your back pocket, in general it wont work through your body. If a phone is in a purse, and the purse is on that persons back / behind them, it may not work unless they bring the purse in front of them.

Dont expect it to work through your body, is one tip.
I'm not sure if the supposition is correct. The phone to car connection is Bluetooth and nearby device connection which both use 2.4 GHz radio frequencies and human body does not block these electro magnetic waves. So if is not the matter of being near body.
In my case, when the car doesn't unlock automatically, I wake up my phony while it is in my pocket by pressing the power button, and that will unlock the car.

Reactions: Bikeman
I'm not sure if the supposition is correct. The phone to car connection is Bluetooth and nearby device connection which both use 2.4 GHz radio frequencies and human body does not block these electro magnetic waves. So if is not the matter of being near body.

Its Bluetooth Low Emissions (BLE) not regular bluetooth, and I have personally experienced, several times in fact, having my phone in my back pocket, having it not work, and doing nothing else but turning sideways to bring the phone closer to the door and having it then work.

With that being said, In the past several months it has become much less reliable for me on my iPhone, after several years of working 99% of the time. Tesla stuff being Tesla stuff, I just chalk it up to some update or other. iPhones dont have a bunch of backgrounding settings, but I have checked those.

In any case, that advice was given from my own experience. Feel free to use or ignore as you wish.

I can also confirm with iPhone 15 and MY, that when iPhone is in back pocket, the MY does not unlock and I have to pull it out or turn sideway. In my front pocket, MY unlocks. When I walk away, BT connection is not detected at 15' or so and MY locks. I can live with it!