Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standby Battery Usage all of a sudden jumped up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi all - Has anybody else noticed a recent uptick in their standby battery Usage? I have a 2023 M3P and for the last 5 months of ownership, I typically lose less than a percent of battery during the day at work (about 9hours). I recently downloaded the latest update for "bug fixes" and this whole past week my standby usage has shot up to about 3% for a 9 hr day. No sentry, no preconditioning, standard temp days for the past month. I've heard normal drain is about 1-2% a day, so my ~7% over a 24hr day seems like a lot, all of a sudden. Is this happening to anyone else?

Nope - cabin cooling off. Temps no different than the past few weeks.

Park data says just standby usage
PXL_20230615_220319739.jpg

Park data says just standby usage
Well, that's not very useful data is it. I am surprised nobody mentioned sentry (EDIT: I just reread your post where you say sentry is off). Lipstick or not, sentry is still a battery hog. Do a test. Turn sentry on for a day, then look at standby usage to get an idea of how much battery it uses. Also, have you noticed more fan noise outside your car than usual? What is the SOC when you get to work, how long is the drive? Another question, what is standby usage overnight?

Last edited:
Well, that's not very useful data is it. I am surprised nobody mentioned sentry (EDIT: I just reread your post where you say sentry is off). Lipstick or not, sentry is still a battery hog. Do a test. Turn sentry on for a day, then look at standby usage to get an idea of how much battery it uses. Also, have you noticed more fan noise outside your car than usual? What is the SOC when you get to work, how long is the drive? Another question, what is standby usage overnight?
I have not noticed more fan usage, but also at work I just park it and leave it. I normally charge to 75% overnight, arrive at work after about 35 miles with around 60-62% (at this time of year).

Overnight I just plug in so I don't know, but I could check soon.

Have you tried turning it off and back on again?

Do you have any third-party apps/services hooked to your Tesla account? Maybe one of them is keeping your vehicle awake?
Not since the update - I'll give that a try when I get back in town after the weekend.

I do not have any third party services.. one thing I want to highlight is I did seem to notice this just after the latest update.. I kind of figured that maybe it was the update, but now it seems like something else is going on based on others not having the same reaction...

Not since the update - I'll give that a try when I get back in town after the weekend.

I do not have any third party services.. one thing I want to highlight is I did seem to notice this just after the latest update.. I kind of figured that maybe it was the update, but now it seems like something else is going on based on others not having the same reaction...

There have been multiple others reporting higher standby usage in at least a couple other threads here I have seen. I dont have them handy atm but I have seen an uptick in these type threads across model 3 and Y subforums (the ones I frequent and moderate) in the past 1-2 months.

Any resolutions that you can remember in any of those?

Other than the normal "verify no third party apps running and never have been running, verify no sentry mode, no cabin overheat protection, nothing plugged into a power outlet that might keep the car awake", "verify no aftermarket things installed that might keep the car awake that could be interacting differently than before", "try seeing if the car will sleep properly not plugged in"...

Nothing other than that normal stuff, no.

RayK - I haven't, but I will when I get home. Seems like it cant hurt.

KenC - the usage im referring to is over the work day, so it's actually pretty cool in the mornings (probably around 60F) and then it warms up during the day (to about 80ish). We have been getting a lot of rain in Utah, so the temperature has not been swinging drastically like it normally would this time of year.

• Informative
Reactions: KenC
RayK - I haven't, but I will when I get home. Seems like it cant hurt.

KenC - the usage im referring to is over the work day, so it's actually pretty cool in the mornings (probably around 60F) and then it warms up during the day (to about 80ish). We have been getting a lot of rain in Utah, so the temperature has not been swinging drastically like it normally would this time of year.
Well, in that case look at the "Drive" tab and "Rated" screen. That might give you another way of seeing your drop in charge.

I recently downloaded the latest update for "bug fixes" and this whole past week my standby usage has shot up to about 3% for a 9 hr day.
If cabin overheat protection is off- It looks like the car doesnt sleep.

My 2021 M3P (facelift) without the AMD ryzen draws about 200W awake.
Thats 5kWh / 24h. —> about 6-8% per day, depending on the batt capacity.

I always restart the car via the menu —> security —> Shut down the car after a softare update.
I had the car not sleeping after an update early in the ownership, I also had the car not charging per schedule with the WC red after two updates ( before I started shut it down).
More recently my wife had installed an update which I was not a aware of and then
the car wasn’t sleeping again.

I’m not saying this must be the case but I think a restart after each update bu shutting down is good or at least wont be bad.

My car do not loose any charge after a 9hr parking. In most cases I can leave it at work for a whole week or part of the week with the same SOC number showing.
When the car sleeps (within 10-15minutes) after parking the consumption is very very low.

Something that often is misinterpreted as SOC usage /consumption when parked is that the car might have an overestimate of the battery capacity, leading to a SOC adjustment downswards after parking.

I do not think I can show any example of this, as my car often has been spot on or underestimated the capacity.

This is how it looks when the SOC adjusts upwards due to a underestimate of the capacity:
93FE849C-ABD9-4C95-900A-89A40BA87759.jpeg

Parked at 35.63%, did start the sleep at 37%. Se can see the SOC rising just before the sleep (left most S)

Like that but the other way around and 1% loss in the SOC adjustment would not be uncommon.

1% readjusted SOC after the parking and 2% loss due to not sleeping would set the 3% loss.

Well, restarted both via holding the 2 steering wheel buttons down and performing the manual shutoff. Does not seem to have helped with loss charge during the day.

I did sit in my car for about 10 minutes today and it seemed like I could hear the humming with everything supposedly off.

Also noticed the car downloaded another update tonight with "bug fixes" so we will see how tomorrow goes... *sigh*

Reactions: zoomer0056
Well, restarted both via holding the 2 steering wheel buttons down and performing the manual shutoff. Does not seem to have helped with loss charge during the day.

I did sit in my car for about 10 minutes today and it seemed like I could hear the humming with everything supposedly off.

Also noticed the car downloaded another update tonight with "bug fixes" so we will see how tomorrow goes... *sigh*
If you sit 10 minutes after the ”shot down the car” command is made, it should fall asleep and you should hear a few clonks from under the car /under the back seat (contactors opening, disconnecting the HV batt).
Maybe you need to move the phone away or shut it down (or bluetooth off) so the car doesnt stay awake because you are in close vicinity.

If you do lot get that clonk, the car doesnt sleep. It should come well before 10 minutes has passes, like 7-8 minutes or so.

Reactions: atvrida92