Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

My Y has been losing 2-5% per day in "standby energy usage"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
clu-tn , I think we have similar experiences. We've only gone on 1 road trip so I don't have much experience for long distances or anything but I've found my standby energy usage inconsistent. It appears to only use a lot of energy after driving, generally a big jump, but sometimes not. I've had 3 instances where it went up 3 or more % in 30 or less minutes. Of course they didn't respond in time to look at the data since it only goes back 2 weeks (in detail). One instance was about 12kW for the time parked at the store, which is a lot for not driving).

They said (and I'm still 'talking' to someone about this [I say 'talking' because they haven't responded for over a week]) the battery recalibrates it estimate and so the car isn't actually using that amount in that timeframe. They think it is mostly the HVAC keeping the moisture level down (apparently it does this to prevent mold/mildew build-ups).

The "park' tab is relatively recent but I have the % battery drops since I've had it, now I can actually track it. The problem isn't 2 or 4% here, it is 5%/day for 7 days straight while at the airport and we didn't increase the amount of charge because we were told 1%/day is expected. So finding 35% usage from standby only was...a red flag.

The other thing that bothers me is that we don't drive much, and the standby energy consumption compared to driving is literally 30-50% of the the total energy usage of the car, almost effectively doubling the energy usage, essentially halving the efficiency. So I'm spending another 20-50 cents a day on just...standby energy? Which adds up to I'd argue a non-insignificant amount of energy over the years. I'm hoping the techs will figure something out because I don't understand.

I asked about the 'tip' and it should say, plug in your car if the % is too low (is what they said). It actually takes more energy to plug it in so the car syncs and talks to the wall mount. Very confusing and honestly disappointing. I was hoping for a better experience with a car like this, but I am not saying no to the other EVs now the market is opening up. (took my 9mo to get my car delivered, so its been 2years since I've actually set the order).

clu-tn , I think we have similar experiences. We've only gone on 1 road trip so I don't have much experience for long distances or anything but I've found my standby energy usage inconsistent. It appears to only use a lot of energy after driving, generally a big jump, but sometimes not. I've had 3 instances where it went up 3 or more % in 30 or less minutes. Of course they didn't respond in time to look at the data since it only goes back 2 weeks (in detail). One instance was about 12kW for the time parked at the store, which is a lot for not driving).

They said (and I'm still 'talking' to someone about this [I say 'talking' because they haven't responded for over a week]) the battery recalibrates it estimate and so the car isn't actually using that amount in that timeframe. They think it is mostly the HVAC keeping the moisture level down (apparently it does this to prevent mold/mildew build-ups).

The "park' tab is relatively recent but I have the % battery drops since I've had it, now I can actually track it. The problem isn't 2 or 4% here, it is 5%/day for 7 days straight while at the airport and we didn't increase the amount of charge because we were told 1%/day is expected. So finding 35% usage from standby only was...a red flag.

The other thing that bothers me is that we don't drive much, and the standby energy consumption compared to driving is literally 30-50% of the the total energy usage of the car, almost effectively doubling the energy usage, essentially halving the efficiency. So I'm spending another 20-50 cents a day on just...standby energy? Which adds up to I'd argue a non-insignificant amount of energy over the years. I'm hoping the techs will figure something out because I don't understand.

I asked about the 'tip' and it should say, plug in your car if the % is too low (is what they said). It actually takes more energy to plug it in so the car syncs and talks to the wall mount. Very confusing and honestly disappointing. I was hoping for a better experience with a car like this, but I am not saying no to the other EVs now the market is opening up. (took my 9mo to get my car delivered, so its been 2years since I've actually set the order).
Sounds like you have Sentry mode set to be active at your home location. That would prevent the Tesla Model Y from entering Sleep mode, would remain in Standby mode. Consumption of 5 to 6 kWh over 24 hours in Standby mode is typical (~6% of the 78kWh battery). Set Sentry mode to be Off when parked at the Home location.

Sounds like you have Sentry mode set to be active at your home location. That would prevent the Tesla Model Y from entering Sleep mode, would remain in Standby mode. Consumption of 5 to 6 kWh over 24 hours in Standby mode is typical (~6% of the 78kWh battery). Set Sentry mode to be Off when parked at the Home location.
I assure you this is not the case. I've been dealing with this for 2 months actively, it isn't sentry mode. And it isn't any 3rd party apps! (it isn't every day that the standby is high, so It's been difficulty to replicate the issue.)

I've used sentry mode twice, I believe.

I assure you this is not the case. I've been dealing with this for 2 months actively, it isn't sentry mode. And it isn't any 3rd party apps! (it isn't every day that the standby is high, so It's been difficulty to replicate the issue.)

I've used sentry mode twice, I believe.
See post #12:

"If the Tesla Model Y senses that there is someone seated in the vehicle the climate control will remain on for some time. (It could be that there is a faulty passenger sensor in one of the front seats that is causing the Tesla Model Y to remain in standby mode with the climate control running.)

Also, if the passive restraint system sensor in the driver's seat or front passenger seat is faulty the Tesla Model Y will remain in Standby mode even after the Climate Control system turns off.)

Black-sky, it is definitely puzzling to me. It is still happening in my car right now but randomly without any logic/pattern (maybe Alien taking over?) . On my current charge circle. Unplugged from my wall connector on Sunday morning @ 80% and 0% power consumption for the next 4-5 hours. Drove the car for 5 miles and the then parking in garage (70F) while my kid slept in the car on Sunday afternoon with camping mode on for another 2 hours only consumed total 2% power. Starting @ 78% SOC power on Monday morning, got to the city of my office @ 69%. When I left my office parking lot in the afternoon, my car has used almost 3.9 on Standby alone while my SOC dropped to 64% (70 F weather), Then car almost did not use any power since then (4% for standby as of Noon Tuesday). So far 6.4% power used for the parking (Standby-4%, Screening-2.3%, and mobile app-0.1%). I kept a good time records (photos) for the last two weeks. For the last 4 charges (all up to 80%), about 9-10% power was consumed by Parking for every 3-day periods. I did not use any these power-hungry functions (sentry, cabin etc) and did not check my phone app. Actually I did a test during last charge circle, even I turned the power off (under Safety) - the car showed it had used 0.4% power for the 3 hour parking.

I will have an appointment with Tesla service center next Friday (September 29) so they will look into it. The Tesla staff were puzzled as well last week when my car showed 2% power loss for standby in 45 minutes (@ dentist office parking lot) right before I drove to the local Tesla sale/service center and another 0.5% drop at the Tesla parking lot while talked to them. They had to make an appointment on their system when I showed them the "blackhole" responses when used service options on my phone App. I was lucky to live nearby a service center with very helpful staff.

I hope the cause is the (intermittent ?) faulty restraint system sensor as suggested by Jcanoe. I will let you know the result and possible solution. As I stated in my last post, my kids love the Tesla. Our favorite near local trips are from Knoxville to Chattanooga/Asheville which are about 220 miles round trip + some local tourist drives. I had them easily done with a fully charged battery. But if the parking consumption issue persists (new since August), I may have to go to a supercharge (located near cities along interstate but not between) somewhere for the same trip which is not ideal. Yes, it may be only a 10 minute quick charge, but potential extra road detour and off-on interstate driving/waiting will be additional times added.

I'm also dealing with it now. Sometimes it will use more than 6% a day, but it's been using only 1% so far for the past 19 hours. Not consistent at all. I'm not sure if the issue is related to the new Update (2032.32.1) or it's the faulty sensor as other suggested. Since I don't have a charger at home, it's almost impossible for me to do a battery or BMS calibration.

One thing I'd noticed was that when I checked the logs from Tessie for those high consumption days there were a couple occurrences that the car had lost connection to Tesla server a lot and was not sleeping, like waking up for a few minutes and sleeping for 30-45 minutes for a stretch of 10+ hours. I'm not sure if it's bad LTE reception or not, unable to check it since I'm using Bell and Tesla is using Telus here in Canada. However there was no connection issue for other occurrences. Still a mystery.

Mine is 2022 LR, no FSD, no EAP. I parked on the ground level below my condo with no Wifi. I can confirm the Home location is NOT ticked in Sentry for all profiles and Cabin Overheat Protection is OFF as well. I don't open the Tesla and Tessie app at all and Tessie WON'T wake the car unless I do it manually.

Anyone knows where is the sensor located and can we check the status of it by ourselves?

The tech who was reviewing my data said it wasn't the weight sensor (with some confidence).

The biggest thing he saw was something pinging the car, waking it up, the car stays on and then goes to sleep-but it keeps doing this so it essentially doesn't sleep. HOWEVER, this doesn't track with what I see which is maybe .2 standby, .4, then 3.2 after some errands. So they don't see a huge usage but a more linear usage...So I'm not sure what's happening still. The next thing was the evaporator and HVAC which just controls the moisture so no mold/smells happen. (which they made it seem like wasn't anything we could do about-unless the sensor is faulty and triggering too frequently, which they didn't think was likely).

So we are testing the app (or whatever is connecting to the phone). So I changed my password, logged out of the app, and UNINSTALLED IT for both devices and am using the card. Did this this morning, guess what, the app usage was at 2.3% this afternoon. Which never has been that high we've I've used the app to check on the car (rarely), so that's a conundrum & a half! Standby energy was still 1.6% which is a bit high, but not like other days which usually is one big jump up in standby, then it stays at that amount for the rest of the day even with more driving. Very strange.

No idea on any sensor locations. Tech also said they can't open another ticket (for the RCM replacement idea) but they didn't think it was the problem. Of course I'm not super convinced they...know what the problem is... Trying the no app for a week for data...

You could try restoring the factory settings (this will cause your Model Y to lose your driver profiles, other settings.)

Another thing to try is disabling the Wi-Fi connection. You don't need the Wi-Fi connection active all of the time. If whatever is pinging your Model Y is local it won't be able to do so with Wi-Fi disabled.

If you have not done so, reboot your home router. The router may be trying to connect to your Tesla vehicle's IP with updated WPS information. I.e., if someone pressed the WPS button (found on some routers) the router will attempt to identify new devices on the Wi-Fi network that can be added.

Last edited:
A few days before my appointment this Friday, Tesla tried to close my service by sending me a message as attached (see photos). It states that power drains is caused by car not going to sleep due to 3rd-party apps. I do NOT have any 3rd-party apps unless there is a spyware I do not know about. I just changed my Tesla password so I will see what will happen to my car. For my last charge cycle, the damn car used almost 15% for parking (>10% for vehicle standby - hope some of these is from Tesla remote diagnostics. I also did not use any screen during parking). The current charge circle is not any better for wasted parking power usage.

I hope changing the password will help. I will see. Tesla really needs to find a solution for the problem.

Attachments

• IMG_3560.png
    IMG_3560.png
    667.5 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG_3561.png
    IMG_3561.png
    516 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_3496.jpeg
    IMG_3496.jpeg
    356.3 KB · Views: 74
From a guy who drives an antique TM3:

During the first six months of ownership (H2 2018), there were definitely some software versions that kept the car awake and energy usage went through the roof (comparatively speaking).

One memorable culprit was a small coolant recirculating pump within the superbottle assembly that would just stay on and keep pumping coolant all night long…another was the first (of many) software “fixes” for dealing with frozen charge connector locks that kept cycling the small locking tab found within the charge connector assembly.

IMO, there is some software bug that Tesla introduced and it will take some time for them to figure it out.

As always, YMMV.

A few days before my appointment this Friday, Tesla tried to close my service by sending me a message as attached (see photos). It states that power drains is caused by car not going to sleep due to 3rd-party apps. I do NOT have any 3rd-party apps unless there is a spyware I do not know about. I just changed my Tesla password so I will see what will happen to my car. For my last charge cycle, the damn car used almost 15% for parking (>10% for vehicle standby - hope some of these is from Tesla remote diagnostics. I also did not use any screen during parking). The current charge circle is not any better for wasted parking power usage.

I hope changing the password will help. I will see. Tesla really needs to find a solution for the problem.
Changing password did not work for me until I got the RCM replaced

My MY drained about 8-9% every 24 hours before the RCM replacement. Schedule an appointment and don't submit a ticket under "Battery" as it will keep getting ignored.

Here is my invoice number for your reference 3000S0007783490

Changed account password did NOT help. On my way home on last Thursday, my car again had a 2% "vehicle standby" jump in less than 30 minutes in a parking lot near the Tesla service center so I stopped at the center and talked to the service adviser. He said again their remote test shown no hardware problem and the car is NOT into sleep modes sometimes. He can not identify the specific causes but said the EC car just do things on its own. I do not believe the service staff on the local level has any solutions. When I asked him the RCM possibility, he said the module works (through remote analysis) and the screen turns off when the door is closed). How did you asked the Tesla to perform the RCM test?

Note that my "vehicle standby" consumptions are random in time and location, often used 2-4 percent one short time frame and then another with periods of little consumption. But overall for each charge circle (2-4 days), the parking power assumption had been around 15% (mostly from vehicle standby & rest from screen - even i did not use) for the last month.

My top level power consumption data DID show degraded car power performance for the last month when I started to notice it. Before September, the car had a total power efficiency of 84.6% for the 1st 9303 mile driven (total trip consumed 2495 kWh vs 2949 kWh charged - provided by phone app) from end of Jan to beginning of September. For the past month, the total power efficiency is about 79% for the last 1047 miles (trip consumed 248 kWh vs 322 kWh charged) . Also for the last month, I have turn off all the power features and weather has been much better (cooler & dry). I have been on more favorable driving routes with net driving power efficiency of 245 Wh/mile for 1047 miles during the last month vs the previous 268 Wh/mile for the 1st 9303 miles (from TRIP screen). Therefore the increase of power consumption from other non-driving periods are real regardless the details.

I hope there are enough people to complain to Tesla so Tesla can address the issue and find a solution. I hope it is not a PLOT from Tesla to cover (or BMS adjust) the true driving efficiency of the EV because my 2023 Y long range would be able to routinely drive over 350 miles (> EPA range) - based on many 30 miles trip power assumption data (too often around 220-230 kWh/mile - 4 mile interstate, 12 mile US highway, 6 miles state highway, and city streets with 5-10 stop lights and also with quite elevation changes) - ONLY if I would not put the car into PARKING mode.

I only did once so tried to recalibrate the BMS range from a very low 6% SOC battery (only time below 10% since own the new car) to 100%. The app said that only 69 kWh was charged with my home 48A Wall Charge (sorry, I did not record the kWh recorded by the car). It seems to suggest that my car usable battery is only around 73 kWh (assumed there is no charging conversion loss - 5% likely based on the data). So I hope the car is not trying to do all these crazy battery management randomly to use all these high powers in the short periods (up to 2 kWh for the 30 minutes or less).

Have any of you in the discussion thread solved your problem yet? What is your status? Thanks. I will wait and see for a few months before contact Tesla again.

Anyway, I like the car but these magic/unsolved issue just not ideal. It will not help the further push of the EV to general public. Can not image the negative feedbacks from general public when a lot of these buyers do not have a convenient home (garage) charger.

I'm glad I finally found this thread. My ~1 year old Y is experiencing the same thing. It seems like the fan/HVAC is running for 30-60 minutes after I leave the car and I'm getting 2-3% "Vehicle Standby" power drop per day. I can't be sure, but I feel like this started recently and it is really annoying.

I'm glad I finally found this thread. My ~1 year old Y is experiencing the same thing. It seems like the fan/HVAC is running for 30-60 minutes after I leave the car and I'm getting 2-3% "Vehicle Standby" power drop per day. I can't be sure, but I feel like this started recently and it is really annoying.
Same for me. Sometimes a battery drops 1.5-3% during first hour of parking.
It happens only after driving and only in beginning of parking. Then car is going to sleep and no more battery drain.

Changed account password did NOT help. On my way home on last Thursday, my car again had a 2% "vehicle standby" jump in less than 30 minutes in a parking lot near the Tesla service center so I stopped at the center and talked to the service adviser. He said again their remote test shown no hardware problem and the car is NOT into sleep modes sometimes. He can not identify the specific causes but said the EC car just do things on its own. I do not believe the service staff on the local level has any solutions. When I asked him the RCM possibility, he said the module works (through remote analysis) and the screen turns off when the door is closed). How did you asked the Tesla to perform the RCM test?

Note that my "vehicle standby" consumptions are random in time and location, often used 2-4 percent one short time frame and then another with periods of little consumption. But overall for each charge circle (2-4 days), the parking power assumption had been around 15% (mostly from vehicle standby & rest from screen - even i did not use) for the last month.

My top level power consumption data DID show degraded car power performance for the last month when I started to notice it. Before September, the car had a total power efficiency of 84.6% for the 1st 9303 mile driven (total trip consumed 2495 kWh vs 2949 kWh charged - provided by phone app) from end of Jan to beginning of September. For the past month, the total power efficiency is about 79% for the last 1047 miles (trip consumed 248 kWh vs 322 kWh charged) . Also for the last month, I have turn off all the power features and weather has been much better (cooler & dry). I have been on more favorable driving routes with net driving power efficiency of 245 Wh/mile for 1047 miles during the last month vs the previous 268 Wh/mile for the 1st 9303 miles (from TRIP screen). Therefore the increase of power consumption from other non-driving periods are real regardless the details.

I hope there are enough people to complain to Tesla so Tesla can address the issue and find a solution. I hope it is not a PLOT from Tesla to cover (or BMS adjust) the true driving efficiency of the EV because my 2023 Y long range would be able to routinely drive over 350 miles (> EPA range) - based on many 30 miles trip power assumption data (too often around 220-230 kWh/mile - 4 mile interstate, 12 mile US highway, 6 miles state highway, and city streets with 5-10 stop lights and also with quite elevation changes) - ONLY if I would not put the car into PARKING mode.

I only did once so tried to recalibrate the BMS range from a very low 6% SOC battery (only time below 10% since own the new car) to 100%. The app said that only 69 kWh was charged with my home 48A Wall Charge (sorry, I did not record the kWh recorded by the car). It seems to suggest that my car usable battery is only around 73 kWh (assumed there is no charging conversion loss - 5% likely based on the data). So I hope the car is not trying to do all these crazy battery management randomly to use all these high powers in the short periods (up to 2 kWh for the 30 minutes or less).

Have any of you in the discussion thread solved your problem yet? What is your status? Thanks. I will wait and see for a few months before contact Tesla again.

Anyway, I like the car but these magic/unsolved issue just not ideal. It will not help the further push of the EV to general public. Can not image the negative feedbacks from general public when a lot of these buyers do not have a convenient home (garage) charger.
Very similar situation for me.

I think the RCM case has constant non sleeping and drain.

Otherwise we have a significant drain only during short time after parking and then its normal.

If you have not done so, reboot your home router. The router may be trying to connect to your Tesla vehicle's IP with updated WPS information. I.e., if someone pressed the WPS button (found on some routers) the router will attempt to identify new devices on the Wi-Fi network that can be added.
Better yet, shut off WPS on the router. WPS is woefully insecure and easy to hack. IMHO, the extra security is well worth the slight inconvenience.