Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Standby Battery Usage all of a sudden jumped up?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well, seems like it fixed itself via the latest update! Today at work lost .7% per standby and .7% from phone app usage (checked it twice during the day). This seems to be much more in line with what I'm used to. Will continue to watch it as the days go on, but as of now, looks like Tesla came out with a quick fix!

Thanks everyone for the help!

Reactions: Rockstop and AAKEE
Drove about 38 miles to the zoo today with great energy usage and arrived at projected range. I was on there for two hours but the car had 3.2% drain in standby. Normal?
IMG_3472.jpeg

A couple of times I have driven my normal route in normal conditions and used huge amounts of power...over 700wh per km instead of 100 (local routes at slow speed on the flat)...but each time it went back the next day to its normal economical way.

Drove about 38 miles to the zoo today with great energy usage and arrived at projected range. I was on there for two hours but the car had 3.2% drain in standby. Normal?
View attachment 976550
First you need to check that the car falls asleep. About 10-20 minutes after a drive, the ”clonk” from the connectors should be heard.
A ”shut down vehicle” at security in the menu helps restarting all systems. After selecting shut down, do not close a door or anything. Leave the car for eight minutes until the clonk is heard. Then open a door or press the brake.

Second, try looking at the SOC when parking and then check it again after about 30 minutes, to see if it already “lost” all SOC by then —> meaning that it does not loose during the parking itself but the loss is just the real SOC updating after the drive.

A couple of times I have driven my normal route in normal conditions and used huge amounts of power...over 700wh per km instead of 100 (local routes at slow speed on the flat)...but each time it went back the next day to its normal economical way.
There was a bug in the firmware this summer or maybe spring with bugged consumption in the energy graph.

Reactions: Bouba
First you need to check that the car falls asleep. About 10-20 minutes after a drive, the ”clonk” from the connectors should be heard.
A ”shut down vehicle” at security in the menu helps restarting all systems. After selecting shut down, do not close a door or anything. Leave the car for eight minutes until the clonk is heard. Then open a door or press the brake.

Second, try looking at the SOC when parking and then check it again after about 30 minutes, to see if it already “lost” all SOC by then —> meaning that it does not loose during the parking itself but the loss is just the real SOC updating after the drive.
Uh what lol

• Funny
Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
View attachment 976550
In my opinion, the Standby figure is the fudge figure. The BMS recalculates SOC%age, when stopped, based upon the ambient, and gives you the new SOC. I see it up or down as much as 4%.

For me, I live by a lake, and it's generally cooler. When I drive somewhere and stop, it can be 10deg warmer. When I get back in, I've typically gained some SOC. The reverse happens if I start driving on a warm day, and I drive into late afternoon, and it starts to cool off. Upon restarting, I can lose SOC, as the ambient has cooled.

Here's an example:
IMG_6288.jpeg

I drove from my home, where it was quite cool to the doctor's office, where my car sat in the sun for 2hrs. The BMS calculated the SOC increased by 3%, but it obviously didn't, since I wasn't plugged in. It's just a recalculation based upon the battery's temperature. Presumably, electrons are moving more freely, so it thinks it has a higher voltage. Maybe it's confirmation bias where I see these changes that fit my theory, who knows. Someone who knows batteries may know better.

Reactions: AlanSubie4Life
This is odd though maybe just BMS since it’s really just guessing and adapting. I arrived back home with 49%. After sitting for two hours it’s back to 52% (not plugged in)
Yeah you may have disagreed with his post with a cavalier “what, lol,” but seems he was onto something…lol.

This kind of thing is quite common, anyway. 3% is kind of a lot but it does happen. Just BMS adjustments. If the car is sleeping, that is usually the cause (cannot really be much else!).

Reactions: AAKEE
Only had the M3 for just over a month. Recently discovered this reduction in battery % overnight and have come on here to ask for observations/advice etc.

Sentry is switched off at home to avoid serious 'phantom drain' but if the car isn't driven for 24hrs I detect approx 1% drain during that time frame.
Over a year, that equates to: 1100 miles LOST in range. Or the equivalent (to a car offering 35mpg) of UK £90 approx - lost every year due to phantom drain. It's like charging me £90 to park my car on my drive!
If this was a petrol car, that car manufacturer would have gone out of business by now.

So, some Q's if I may:
1. Does the car automatically go into 'sleep mode' after it's locked?
2. Does sleep mode close everything down?
3. Is my 1% the norm with Tesla's?
4. Can I further reduce this phantom drain?

Many thanks in advance,

Respectfully, I wouldn’t worry about it too much. this is normal and often asked on the forum. Even with sentry off, the car never fully goes to sleep (I think). Weather changes may cause it to “do something”. Even looking at the app with sentry off will wake it up. I think if you review this after a year say, you’ll find it rather normal. Best of luck. Millions of owners can’t be wrong 😀

Welcome!

1. Yes, locked or not, it will sleep anytime it's not charging, running cabin overheat, running Sentry, or doing some brief activity like topping off the 12V battery, communicating with the internet, post-drive cooling or dehumidifying, etc. But sleep is just a low-power state, not a zero-power state.
  2. No, of course not. Just like a fossil car, it's live and consuming power 24/7, otherwise you wouldn't be able to unlock the door. You just don't notice the overnight power drain with fossil cars because there is no indication of the extra gas being used to recharge the 12V battery each morning.
  3. No, it should be closer to 1% per week.
  4. You (or the previous owner) might have some 3rd party app that keeps the car awake. But I'd bet that you're just seeing the effects of post-drive activities along with some settling which makes it look like it loses 1% overnight but you'll likely find that it doesn't actually continue this trend beyond the first day. Note that the available capacity is also temperature dependent so it can tend to show a higher state of charge when you park it warm, and lower when you return to it cold.

Gauss, thank you (and others).
1 and 2 . Copied
3, Incorrect, see handbook and vid below.

It also looks like the Tesla (and possibly the Polestar) are currently the only cars that lose this much??

Soul Surfer - I know it's not a worry, far from it. Crikey when you buy a car that costs 2p/mile....EVERYTHING ELSE pales into insignificance! But the principle is what I am trying to get my head around: Here we have a supposed cutting edge car which 'leaks' "fuel" every night of its life??? That shouldn't happen in this day and age?? But at the end of the day (year in this example), I have LOST 1100 miles for reasons beyond my control.

There are many things that use power sporadically which is why the owner's manual states "up to" 1% per day. One notorious cause that I failed to mention is the extra-frequent 12V recharging that occurs when the 12V battery is nearing end of life, often around 2-3 years of age - the exact age of that YouTuber's car. Combine this with the added power consumption of his ScanMyTesla wireless adapter and the loss of 1 mile/day is believable.

Note that many cars like the Volkswagen Taycan lack modern features such as remote access or phone-as-a-key, so they should use less power than most. But his claim of "only 1.3Wh per day" is absurd as it would equate to 0.054 Watts for the entire keyless radio system and alarm with all tilt/shock/intrusion sensors plus the chassis GFCI and any other battery monitoring systems.

FWIW I've measured my own car multiple times by screenshotting the app just before/after 7-14 day vacations and it always works out to 1% per week with my 82kWh battery. Others have reported similar measurements in various TMC threads.