Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYLR vs MYP Charging

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I had installed a 14-50 applicable outlet in our garage to charge the Teslas. With my wife's '21 MYLR, out of 32/32A, she gets 31 miles/hr but my '23 MYP gets 27-28 miles/hr with the same 32/32A...

Is this normal?

Yes, normal (for the reasons explained by the other two posters).

This is one reason why tesla has this wall connector charging speed matrix on their website. If you are charging at 32amps, notice that its the same power at 240 volts (7.7kW) but "miles" for a model X is 23, while "miles" for a model Y is 30 (and they are not differentiating between a performance and non performance vehicle).

Same amount of power, but because the car is less efficient, it takes more power to move it a certain number of miles, thus less miles per hour charge, even though the power is the same.

Wall connector.png

Last edited:
I had installed a 14-50 applicable outlet in our garage to charge the Teslas. With my wife's '21 MYLR, out of 32/32A, she gets 31 miles/hr but my '23 MYP gets 27-28 miles/hr with the same 32/32A...

Is this normal?
Yeah. Picture the same filling nozzle being used to fill a Ford Fiesta econobox car or an F-350 big dually pickup truck. The gallons per minute from the hose is the same, but "miles per minute" into each vehicle is vastly different because they get very different miles per gallon. This is the same thing.