Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Factory Tire Poll

Which Tires came with your MYP

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just completed the first leg of a 2K round trip from southern IL to southern MD for grand daughters 7th birthday. I made this exact same trip 4 times in our 2020 LR AWD Y and collected good data with 975 miles driven. I was shocked how high the consumption was on the new P. My average wh/mi on the LR AWD came to 279 wh/mi. Arrived SIL/daughters house showing 317 wh/mi and I pulled every trick out of the book to get it down. I never went faster than 5 over posted limits and when there was light traffic I ran at the posted limit, I upped the HVAC temp from my normal Auto/71 setting to 72. Tire pressures were set to 44 psi COLD before departing home and they increased to 44/45 along the way.

One anomaly that I could never figure out or resolve was the ARRIVAL SOC projection, on our 2020 I would display an ARRIVAL SOC and I could always get that number to go UP once we’d get back on the highway by taking it easy for the first few miles by staying in the right lane and drafting if I could for a few miles, than when the wh/mi would settle down bump up the TACC to 5 or 6 over posted limits and run what ever lane worked. I could always MAKE RANGE. Not with the P, in fact the opposite was usually the case, I’d start off with a projected number and no matter what I did it got worse. At one stop I felt each wheel thinking I was dragging a brake but couldn’t feel any heat. We departed home with just 510 miles on our new P and it’s showing about 1500 now. Maybe its still breaking in??????

What this meant was we charged longer at each Super Charger stop than usual.

Having said that I was surprised how nice the new P rode on the 21s with the Michelin. It felt more supple and quieter than our 2020 Y. But the 21s are coming off as soon as I get home. I see no UPSIDE on a DD in Illinois where potholes have their own zip code.

I’ll post of more detailed data when we get home on Wed.

Just completed the first leg of a 2K round trip from southern IL to southern MD for grand daughters 7th birthday. I made this exact same trip 4 times in our 2020 LR AWD Y and collected good data with 975 miles driven. I was shocked how high the consumption was on the new P. My average wh/mi on the LR AWD came to 279 wh/mi. Arrived SIL/daughters house showing 317 wh/mi and I pulled every trick out of the book to get it down. I never went faster than 5 over posted limits and when there was light traffic I ran at the posted limit, I upped the HVAC temp from my normal Auto/71 setting to 72. Tire pressures were set to 44 psi COLD before departing home and they increased to 44/45 along the way.

One anomaly that I could never figure out or resolve was the ARRIVAL SOC projection, on our 2020 I would display an ARRIVAL SOC and I could always get that number to go UP once we’d get back on the highway by taking it easy for the first few miles by staying in the right lane and drafting if I could for a few miles, than when the wh/mi would settle down bump up the TACC to 5 or 6 over posted limits and run what ever lane worked. I could always MAKE RANGE. Not with the P, in fact the opposite was usually the case, I’d start off with a projected number and no matter what I did it got worse. At one stop I felt each wheel thinking I was dragging a brake but couldn’t feel any heat. We departed home with just 510 miles on our new P and it’s showing about 1500 now. Maybe its still breaking in??????

What this meant was we charged longer at each Super Charger stop than usual.

Having said that I was surprised how nice the new P rode on the 21s with the Michelin. It felt more supple and quieter than our 2020 Y. But the 21s are coming off as soon as I get home. I see no UPSIDE on a DD in Illinois where potholes have their own zip code.

I’ll post of more detailed data when we get home on Wed.
317 is not horrible but need more data. What was the average speed, what were the average temps, how much load in the vehicle, was there any head/tail wind, any rain? With that said the 21s came off mine today. They look great but the ride is harsh. It seemed fine the first 2,000 miles or so and once the suspension broke in its very harsh on uneven road surfaces.

I have the Michelins. The rears are 72 lbs each and the fronts 66.6 lbs each. My TSPORTLINE TSS 19” with OE continental Pro Contact RX weight 56.8 lbs each. Changing the wheels eliminated 50 lbs of unsprung weight.

I’m going to produce a video on it. The Uberturbine look awesome and on the track would perform awesome. I don’t track the car though and I suspect most don’t. I need practicality over looks and track performance.
02652539-1AEE-4AE6-BC5C-32858E427A66.jpeg

Reactions: Stevnwin
Picked up my MYP on Saturday - it has the Pirelli's. Why can't the tires be rotated? is that a Tesla thing?
The tires are unidirectional, so they can't be rotated between left and right side. Normally, you'd be able to rotate front <--> back (which you can do with the 20" inductions, for example). However, the MYP ships with larger rear wheels, preventing such rotation.

If you replaced your wheels with a square setup (all wheels and tires the same size), then you'd be able to do front <--> back rotation.

Reactions: jaaberle
The tires are unidirectional, so they can't be rotated between left and right side. Normally, you'd be able to rotate front <--> back (which you can do with the 20" inductions, for example). However, the MYP ships with larger rear wheels, preventing such rotation.

If you replaced your wheels with a square setup (all wheels and tires the same size), then you'd be able to do front <--> back rotation.
This is partially correct. The OE tires aren’t directional on any of the MY variants. Tesla only recommends a front to back rotation. Since the performance has a staggered set (back larger than front) they can’t be rotated.

The stock 19s and 20s can be rotated front to back same side.

I know this post is a few months old, but I was told my VIN PF593 was coming with Pirelli's today and I'm in Philly. That won't work. Passed on VIN. Hoping I get assigned a VIN in 7 days with Michelins. Plus, I'm not crazy about not getting USS and the old cameras. That's another story.