Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP Passenger door issue

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is it only that door? If all other doors and windows are closed, closing any door will require overcoming the increased pressure inside the car. I almost always open the window a few inches of whatever door I open to make closing the door(s) easier.

If that one door requires significantly more force than the others, that should be an easy fix for the SC, possibly even via mobile service.

Tesla Service may tell you that this is normal. When the door glass seals are new they can be stiff. You may want to wait a few weeks before requesting service.

Have you tried performing the window calibration steps? (See Tesla Model Y Owner's Manual - Windows - Opening and Closing)

Model Y Owner's Manual | Tesla

In the unlikely event that a window behaves unexpectedly (touches the bright molding, fails to open or close properly, goes down more than normal when the door opens, etc.), you can calibrate it to potentially fix the issue.

To calibrate a window:
  1. Close the door with the affected window.
  2. Sit in the driver's seat and close the driver door.
  3. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, raise the affected window until it stalls.
  4. Using the window's switch on the driver's door, lower the affected window until it stalls.
  5. Repeat step 3 and raise the affected window until it stalls.

The window should now be calibrated. If the issue continues after attempting the calibration procedure a couple times, contact Tesla.

Thanks I will give that a try. Yea they tried to tell me that it was a normal thing for the Ys but after spending this much money I couldn’t justify that. I can handle some slight panel gaps but this is embarrassing when I have someone in the car and they have to slam door. Hopefully this fixes it and can cancel service and continue to enjoy the car.

Just picked up my new MYP on Sunday and having issues with passenger front door. If all windows and doors are closed you have to slam door for it to shut. If any other door or window is open, it will close normally. Have a service setup to see if this can be fixed.
They can adjust the latch/handle mechanism. On a few months old MYP in on a different service, techs noticed one of our doors required a bit more force to close so they adjusted it too.

Take a look at the black trim under the door. Mine is displaced and I think it's causing the door not to close all the way. I have a service appointment to reinstall that trim piece and to look at why the passenger door won't close tightly w/o slamming it. I think the two are related.