Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP - stay or down-size from 21" from the start?

Stay or down-size?

• Stay @ 21" - (rough road region)

Votes: 10 25.6%
  • Stay @ 21" - (smooth road region)

Votes: 12 30.8%
  • Downsize Better (rough road region)

Votes: 11 28.2%
  • Downsize Better (smooth road region)

Votes: 6 15.4%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've been reading through many posts and seems like there is a ton of support/reason to downsize (ride comfort/range/handling/pot-hole robustness) but wondering on a poll basis / if people could start from scratch again would you stay or downsize? I know this topic has threads to death but I couldn't find a poll version.

I'm due to get 23'MYP this next weekend and wondering since I live in Metro Detroit (known for occasional greedy holes in roads...ok undersell -> roads in winter turn into swiss cheese often). I'm really liking the idea of Bronze AFF7s to contrast the incoming Silver MYP (the wife will wonder what is wrong with me for both changing wheels right away and also the color selection).

My last vehicle had 20" wheels I managed to dodge most everything that wasn't fixed by spring -> but I had a dedicated winter beater w/ 15" wheels that took most of the abuse. Vehicle before that I had 17" dedicated winter wheels to preserve the 19" forged wheels against potholes.

I drive through the midwest where potholes are as common as fish fry's and "ope". My neighborhood is literally just rough asphalt that they caked on top of loose stone. Not even graded properly for draining let alone a flat surface. I'm very happy with the 21's and the ride. It's stiff like you'd expect any performance vehicle to be, but it's nothing crazy. Not even close to an old Probe with a racing suspension or something. You can't fly over uneven tracks, but honestly, even wobbly Brock roads and construction are fine. Having driven both ways, I'm happy with my all season factory setup. Does well in snow and sun while being just fine on my bad back. Try it, see if you like it or not, rent one with alternate configuration, and make your decision if you're still unsure.

Only reason I will change the future is when we do more back road traveling. I am sure I will move to 18/19's then just to have tall walls.

Edit: I drive through your area every couple months. I have not personally had issues, but I can't say I've been down through every part of the area. Mainly highways and main roads with a couple side streets. I feel like anything there would be fine compared to the hell that is (or maybe was by now) 23 north from Ohio to AA. that right lane is killer for like 10 miles but even then it's not bad! But that's just, like, my opinion man.

At this time, I am staying
No complaints about my ride
I’ll wait until it’s time, just purchased a tread depth measurer
Actually researching 275/315 use
Michelin PSAS4 or
Hankook Ion EVO AS
But I have a while to decide

Went with a square setup after bending 2 rims on the wonderful roads in the NE. This is the setup and have been very pleased.

Went with a square setup after bending 2 rims on the wonderful roads in the NE. This is the setup and have been very pleased.

I bent a 16” wheel with 205/50/16 tires with a car weighing half as much as a Model Y. I’ve come to the conclusion, that I just have to be more aware of what I’m driving over.

I swapped to 19”s Enkei’s, but now I’m thinking of sticking with the 21” Ubers on my MYP.

I bent a 16” wheel with 205/50/16 tires with a car weighing half as much as a Model Y. I’ve come to the conclusion, that I just have to be more aware of what I’m driving over.

I swapped to 19”s Enkei’s, but now I’m thinking of sticking with the 21” Ubers on my MYP.
Yep, you're gonna bend any wheel if you don't keep an eye out for holes and bumps. Same reason people curb their wheels on Teslas - they drove a Camry before and didn't care if the tire rubbed the curb. Now the Tesla is their first car with a low profile tire and suddenly it's the car's fault.

OP: Own your car for a few months before making a decision on the wheels. You might not mind the ride quality.

Reactions: pokerEV8
Yep, you're gonna bend any wheel if you don't keep an eye out for holes and bumps. Same reason people curb their wheels on Teslas - they drove a Camry before and didn't care if the tire rubbed the curb. Now the Tesla is their first car with a low profile tire and suddenly it's the car's fault.

OP: Own your car for a few months before making a decision on the wheels. You might not mind the ride quality.
Agree with fiehlsport - drive with the stock for a while and see what you think. The 21” Ubers really stretch the tire over the stock wheels. This essentially results in the stock setup, not being very forgiving in a number of situations. The forum is full of discussions around the stock wheels for the MYP. I came from an FPace S with 20” wheels and never had the issues I have had on the local roads in the greater NYC area as I have had with the 21” Ubers. I get it - very different cars but the smaller rims will help with the ride quality, curb rash, and less damage to the structural rim if you encounter a cavern in the road. If you do change rims look for something like a flow forged which is lighter and I understand stronger than the stock rims on the MYP - the forums have a lot of info in this regard also.

Enjoy the ride!

I'd dump them ASAP while you can get decent money for them. I spent a lot of time in Detroit and I know how bad your roads can be. There is absolutely no benefit that I can think of for the 21" Ubers. They are heavy as a boat anchor and kill range. I'd at a minimum drop to 20's where you have much greater choice of tires and typically cheaper.

Almost always going with taller tires on a Tesla is a mistake. Even Tesla shows you that. Look at Plaid, and then look at the tires they want to sell you if you go with their track pack. They are 20" wheels. If 21's were so good, why would they sell you 21's with the track pack (upgraded carbon ceramic brakes)? So if 20's are good enough for 4800 pounds, 1000hp 1020lb/ft torque monster like the Plaid to track and get maximum performance, what does that tell you about the need for 21's on a MYP with half the power?

So again I'd suggest dumping the 21" Ubers with zero miles, or as close to it as you can, and go buy some better, lighter wheels in a 20" or if ride quality and pothole resistance were paramount, drop to 19's. I had 19's on my Y and was quite happy with them. Then again I went with a nice-looking set of aftermarket wheels that were very lightweight. The car felt a lot more nimble too.

I dumped my 21's at 400 miles for a set of square 20's.

Ride is better. Not sure if I picked up range. And I can rotate my tires!

My roads are mostly decent here in nor-cal.
Very common route for our MYP clients to take, and for good reasons.

-Better ride comfort.
-Reduced unsprung weight.
-Better looking wheel options.

Bespoke 20x9 square BC Forged HCS23
2ed86fa3-935d-4800-9f6f-4807232fdd77-jpg.944530

20x10 Advan GT Beyond
r0000290-jpg.925560

Plug & play APEX VS-5RS 20x9
img_0167-jpeg.940433

-Danny

Good luck with the new ride!
I’m watching guys, if everyone moves off Ubers on their MYPs, my Uber look will be unique
;)
Well, it would have been until all the Uber look hubcaps came out. I went with something like these for my 3 to have the Uber look without all the downsides. :cool:

Another bonus is they protect the rim very well. My wife has already thoroughly tested this feature of them. 🤣 I realized having nice rims on my 3 or Y while keeping them from being curbed and while my wife drives the car are mutually exclusive. Eaiser to buy an extra set of these and swap them out than to keep taking the car to the rim repair shop. I repair session costs the same as another set of 4. I bought some center caps to finish the looks since I bought them. Best investment I've made on the car so far other than the MPP coilovers.

IMG_1255 2.jpg

1689862760523.png

Got car today - rode a lot better than I was prepping myself

Previous rides to compare to
1. 160k mi 2011 Escape 2.4 I drove for the past month after my other car was stolen. Lots of wear and tear on this guy but keeps chugging along/hauling 12ft boards out the hinging rear glass.

2. 26k mi 2015 6.4 Charger (still sad about this one, but was a good day today) - chassis on this bumped around a bit more than the Y based on the roads

Used to it from Charger & the Cobalt SS turbo wheels I had before that

The distance on the HMI to objects & curbs is a bit too off to be super useful, I do wish it plopped the cameras up at low speed when objects were close automatically (or is there a setting I haven't found yet?)