Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MYP!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I want the MS Plaid, but I can't afford to pay $5k-$6k/year for the VA personal property tax.
@nate704 Dang, can't blame you. I'd accept paying that much property tax for "real property" but not a car.

TBH I don't think M3P is objectively all that much faster than MYP, but I do think the Model 3 feels significantly more fun to throw around turns than the Y. Something about the lower weight distribution and other chassis differences. That's not a knock on the Y, it's the same anytime I've compared a crossover to its related lower, smaller sedan (BMW X3 vs 3-series, Subaru Forester vs Impreza, etc). Y is definitely fast and fun among crossovers. :)

Reactions: z335is and nate704
I was racing on the road track course last night and the MYP performed flawlessly. Sharp/fast steering with planted/solid suspension along with the super face acceleration was the perfection combination as well as the super bright headlights.
Now, I want an M3P!
What was your starting SOC and how long were you able to drive on the track? Or do you have a supercharger nearby the track?

When I took my car to the local track this past summer, I usually arrive with about 93% SOC and can go for about four 20-minute sessions plus a partial 5th session before reaching around 12~13% that gets me home with 3~4%. The MYP is the first car I've taken on a track so I don't have anything to compare to, but I certainly had a lot of fun driving it on the track and to me it felt very capable.

Now just imagine if it had track mode!
@z335is Apparently MYP can have track mode, sort of. @nate704 this is for you if you stick with the MYP. @Yperformance is the only one on these boards that I've come across using it so far, had some early issues with it, I think mostly sorted now.

My guess is the "lap mode" features use M3P Track Mode programming, nothing is retuned specifically for MYP. Just a guess. That should be fine though.

I have no personal experience with Ingenext products. It's the only product I've come across to give this sort of functionality to an MYP.

@nate704 Dang, can't blame you. I'd accept paying that much property tax for "real property" but not a car.

TBH I don't think M3P is objectively all that much faster than MYP, but I do think the Model 3 feels significantly more fun to throw around turns than the Y. Something about the lower weight distribution and other chassis differences. That's not a knock on the Y, it's the same anytime I've compared a crossover to its related lower, smaller sedan (BMW X3 vs 3-series, Subaru Forester vs Impreza, etc). Y is definitely fast and fun among crossovers. :)
As an anecdote, since I swapped out my suspension for an Ohlins R&T coilover, my MYP has been INSANE going around corners, approaching my wife's Model 3. I cant believe how much the Ohlins got rid of body roll and it feels like its on a rail. Obviously the M3 is still superior, but the suspension upgrade has made me super happy taking fast corners.

• Love
Reactions: tm1v2
As an anecdote, since I swapped out my suspension for an Ohlins R&T coilover, my MYP has been INSANE going around corners, approaching my wife's Model 3. I cant believe how much the Ohlins got rid of body roll and it feels like its on a rail. Obviously the M3 is still superior, but the suspension upgrade has made me super happy taking fast corners.
@RL0225 That's awesome! I wonder how it compares to my M3P on Redwood Motorsports "Performance Sport" Ohlins DFV... 😉 😁

Actually I will find out soon hopefully. Another TMC member and I are overdue for some test drive swaps again, just for fun and education, since we each installed our coilovers. He went for Ohlins R&T on his Y.

If it's any consolation, it was barely a week or two into Model 3 ownership before hitting my first "wtf this won't fit through any openings" moment. It had been 15+ years since I'd owned a car without a liftgate. It's okay, our M3P is a second car for us, it didn't and couldn't replace our primary hauler...

Both cars of mine that I ever took to track days had liftgates. And were used to chase snowstorms up in the mountains all winter. :)

Reactions: ElectricIAC
Awesome to hear people are putting these cars on the track. Would you mind sharing what track? Trying to get an idea if its an road course.. or more like autocross with the cones in an empty parking lot.

I'd certainly like to do either type of event with my Y. Maybe next year as Im due for new tires. Currently have 30K miles on the factory Goodyear F1's.. and will switch to the Michelin Pilot AS4 or Continental DWS06 Plus.

Awesome to hear people are putting these cars on the track. Would you mind sharing what track? Trying to get an idea if its an road course.. or more like autocross with the cones in an empty parking lot.

I'd certainly like to do either type of event with my Y. Maybe next year as Im due for new tires. Currently have 30K miles on the factory Goodyear F1's.. and will switch to the Michelin Pilot AS4 or Continental DWS06 Plus.
This is the track I took my MYP on:
DCTC-Track-and-Facility-Overview1120.jpg

They configured it so we basically drive on the outermost part of the track. It's only about 1.2 miles total, so I only got up to a little over 90 MPH on the longest straightaway, but I found the course to be fun to drive on with a lot of turns.

Here's a clip of the course from my dashcam.

Last edited:

@Daekwan For your very first track day, you could totally go out there on some sporty all-seasons and have fun and figure out if you like the sport. However plan on getting track friendly summer tires after that. You will very quickly learn to outdrive those allseasons and kill them very quickly, from either shredding them or simply overheating them.

I'm saying this because it doesn't make sense to quickly ruin a brand new set of pricey Michelin or Conti UHP allseasons using them out of their element.

Figure 200-240 treadwear if you actually want something that holds up well to tracking these heavy, powerful cars.

Even then read tire descriptions and reviews carefully. SOME "extreme performance" ~ 200-240 TW tires are designed for good endurance, which is probably what you want as a hobbyist. Others are designed more for a few very fast laps (though those TEND to be less than 200 TW), and will heat cycle out quickly, you probably, don't want those unless you're actually doing short form racing e.g. time attack or such.

Reactions: Daekwan
@Daekwan Since you're in DC and therefore need tires that can handle freezing weather in the winter, here's my advice:

First, you won't find a tire that can hold up to warm dry track use (once you get any experience / speed) and freezing weather on the street. Doesn't exist.

You could do 3 sets of wheels+tires of course, 1 for track, 1 for summer, 1 for winter. If you end up liking track days and want to do this, go for it, obviously it gets you the best of each world. But also obviously, it's extra money up front (3rd set of wheels), and you need to store two extra sets of wheels at a time, and you need to swap wheels for each track day (though honestly that's trivial with other track prep you'll probably be doing, e.g. pad swapping, frequent brake fluid changes, checking torque on everything, etc).

Now let's say you prefer to just have 2 sets of wheels+tires. That's very doable, and that's what I had back when I was doing track days + driving in the snow in the winter, with one car.

One option - which is what I did - is have a summer street+track set, and a winter set. There are usually a few (very few) track worthy tires that also have good street manners, meaning not crazy loud, still grip fine when "cold" (above freezing of course), and decent wear (tread life) on the street. Then your winter set can be allseasons or "allweather" or "performance winter" or straight up snow+ice tires, depending on your winter driving/weather/preferences.

The other option would be a track set, and an allseason set for year-round street use (e.g. the DWS06+ or PSAS4 like you are planning). This gives much more flexibily with the track tires, to not care about street manners, but then you don't get to run real summer tires or real snow tires for your street use (unless you go to 3 sets of wheels).