Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

myQ improved?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I was excited to do the trial when it was first released but quickly disappointed when I realized it didn't work with my Liftmaster Gate opener. The gate opener works fine with my MyQ phone app. Secondly, it seems as "dumb" as the Homelink for the location-based garage door automatic opening. It will close the garage when it is already open. I was hoping since MyQ knows if the garage door is open or closed, it will not send a signal when it is already open.

Does anybody know if the latest update resolves these 2 issues?

• Informative
Reactions: APotatoGod
It seems to be working much better for me on the automatic close and open. Very consistent and the distance to close has changed. Try it to see if it is now working for you, free after all to try. Not sure about gates, I don’t have one. Be sure to get the latest Tesla update as well. Got mine last week.

I've had a MyQ garage opener for years, and the app has always been...flaky at best, just totally inconsistent with when it would register a command, etc.

Always thought it was just the device itself.

However after doing a lot of research I setup home bridge on a PC along with a homekit device (a homepod), and when operating it through Apple home, it consistently listens to commands on the first try.

With this knowledge it gives me very little confidence that the tesla service is going to resolve what to me look like cloud/internet related relability with the myQ services.

Could just be some bad luck with my device/internet/who knows what, but thought I'd share my recent experience.

• Informative
I've had a MyQ garage opener for years, and the app has always been...flaky at best, just totally inconsistent with when it would register a command, etc.

However after doing a lot of research I setup home bridge on a PC along with a homekit device (a homepod), and when operating it through Apple home, it consistently listens to commands on the first try.

With this knowledge it gives me very little confidence that the tesla service is going to resolve what to me look like cloud/internet related relability with the myQ services.

Could just be some bad luck with my device/internet/who knows what, but thought I'd share my recent experience.
Are you using a version 1 MyQ receiver? If so, maybe you should try the version 2. They're fairly cheap. I have had occasional issues with the app, but mostly it's been reliable.

• Informative
Are you using a version 1 MyQ receiver? If so, maybe you should try the version 2. They're fairly cheap. I have had occasional issues with the app, but mostly it's been reliable.
I believe it is the 1st generation device (it's one of the add on sensors to a non smart garage door opener).

The thing that confuses me, if it's the device, why does it perform better while side stepping the myq service (home bridge/kit bypasses this).

I got the email for another 30 day trial. I also have Homelink in my Model S, but am curious in trying this again for when the garage door is open when I get home.

For some reason, mine still does not auto/open and close when leaving or coming home. I have everything setup correctly I think. I guess I can try a hard reset on my Model S and see if that works. I am on the latest beta software. This is the same issue I had when I trialed it the first time when this came out.

In my previous Model 3 I had the Homelink installed and it worked great. Now, in my new Model 3, I am using the My Q app. But now when I leave, the door closes after the light blinks for 5-10 seconds. (It's a safety feature to let anyone in the garage know that that door will be closing via the My Q app) The Homelink would just shut it without the warning- as if I had pressed the button myself.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the My Q just close the door immediately, the way Homelink did?

Reactions: Silicon Desert
In my previous Model 3 I had the Homelink installed and it worked great. Now, in my new Model 3, I am using the My Q app. But now when I leave, the door closes after the light blinks for 5-10 seconds. (It's a safety feature to let anyone in the garage know that that door will be closing via the My Q app) The Homelink would just shut it without the warning- as if I had pressed the button myself.

Does anyone know if it's possible to have the My Q just close the door immediately, the way Homelink did?
That is a very annoying feature of MyQ when it blinks before closing. Should not happen when using it in the car.

Does using myQ in a Tesla require a paid myQ subscription (after any free trial period)? I have a myQ compatible opener and the myQ app on my phone, but I don’t pay anything to use that. I have a new Model Y on order and am trying to decide whether to pay for Homelink. Both of our current Teslas came with Homelink as standard equipment.

Does using myQ in a Tesla require a paid myQ subscription (after any free trial period)? I have a myQ compatible opener and the myQ app on my phone, but I don’t pay anything to use that. I have a new Model Y on order and am trying to decide whether to pay for Homelink. Both of our current Teslas came with Homelink as standard equipment.
Yes to use/trigger it through the car (automatic, manual, etc) you have to pay a fee.

• Helpful

You have to set location of home for that to work - go into the settings for the garage you want. Then it skips the light blink when you are close to home.

I’ve noticed that the automatic opening and closing feature of my garage door starts acting up just before a software update. then after the update it works fine, much like iPhone

You have to set location of home for that to work - go into the settings for the garage you want. Then it skips the light blink when you are close to home.
Hey Techie, I'm not following you on this. Go into the settings in the car, or the MyQ app on my phone? Only have 1 garage. It almost always does the light blink, but occasionally will lower right away. After reading up on this, it seems many have this problem.

I had homelink installed on my previous M3 and it worked like a charm. Thought I could go the MyQ route this time and save some money. Already paid for a year service with MyQ, so I'm kind of stuck now unless I just eat that and get homelink again. Wish I had from the start this time around.