Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

MyQ vs. Homelink garage door confusion

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My home has a garage door opener with a MyQ logo on it... does this mean I don't have to purchase the $300 Homelink upgrade? Is the car able to control MyQ without additional hardware?

My SR+ is currently on order (7/3) and I'm trying to get my garage ready! Thanks

I'm not aware of any ability to talk to garage door openers over the internet from the car. (MyQ, Tailwind, etc..) Elon suggested (or maybe implied) that this might happen at some point, but it hasn't been implemented yet.
You currently still need Homelink to have the car control the garage door. The homelink module sends the actual signal same as the garage door opener fob does.
Note the Tailwind solution can reproduce the Tesla's ability to automatically open or close the door based on geo-location. It does it with your phone though.

• Informative
Reactions: jjrandorin
My home has a garage door opener with a MyQ logo on it... does this mean I don't have to purchase the $300 Homelink upgrade? Is the car able to control MyQ without additional hardware?

My SR+ is currently on order (7/3) and I'm trying to get my garage ready! Thanks

No, your car will not interact with MQ at all, with or without homelink. Its separate. Whether you want to buy homelink, or whip out your phone to open your garage door every day (or use the regular clicker) is up to you but the car does not interface with myQ app at all (I have a MyQ liftmaster garage door opener as well).

Homelink will give your car the ability to talk with garage door/ gate openers like a fob. MyQ means your Liftmaster/Chamberlin opener is internet capable with either built-in hardware or add-on hardware. Newer models have wi-fi built-in, older models need to add hardware to connect to the internet which is available on amazon. When your opener is connected to the internet you will be able to use the MyQ app on your phone to control your opener from anywhere in the world, but the car will have to be close by since it will emulate the fob. My opener is Liftmaster as well as my gate opener. When i get around 90 feet away from my gate the car will send the signal to open my gate automatically. I then use the on screen homelink button to open and close my garage door. Hopefully this helps....