Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mytesla page updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Every 3psi below spec results in 1% energy wasted, or 1% less range.
"Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.3% for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires."
That amount should easliy trigger the sensor. On newer cars, the recommend cold-tire spec on the door should be followed for best performance. 1% of 70kWh is 700Wh or about 2 miles per charge.

"Under-inflated tires can lower gas mileage by 0.3% for every 1 psi drop in pressure of all four tires."
That amount should easliy trigger the sensor. On newer cars, the recommend cold-tire spec on the door should be followed for best performance. 1% of 70kWh is 700Wh or about 2 miles per charge.
Great information. I would suppose that stat extends itself to ICE as well.

Mythbusters tested this. Results:

Control, 35psi (manufacturer recomendation)
tyres at 10psi = 3.7% increase in consumption
tyres at 30psi = 1.2% increase in consumption
tyres at 40psi = 6.2% decrease in consumption
tyres at 60psi = 7.6% decrease in consumption

Link to full post with follow on links to the actual episode:
mythbusters tests tyre / tire pressure - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Us prius drivers on priuschat.com have been doing it for more than a decade. I'm surprised Tesla owners don't.

Mythbusters tested this. Results:

Control, 35psi (manufacturer recomendation)
tyres at 10psi = 3.7% increase in consumption
tyres at 30psi = 1.2% increase in consumption
tyres at 40psi = 6.2% decrease in consumption
tyres at 60psi = 7.6% decrease in consumption

Link to full post with follow on links to the actual episode:
mythbusters tests tyre / tire pressure - Fuel Economy, Hypermiling, EcoModding News and Forum - EcoModder.com

Us prius drivers on priuschat.com have been doing it for more than a decade. I'm surprised Tesla owners don't.
For what it's worth, the only one thing I'll throw out there is that on a race track, where we have lots of turns in go-kart racing, our philosophy is different. We increase tire pressure to create more grip. In a straight line, there's no grip issue, but we don't spend much of our time in a straight line - we take lots of turns. In those turns, the higher the tire pressure, the better we grip, because it doesn't allow the tire to flex nearly as much. If it flexes a lot, and we still routinely see it, you'll actually be riding on the outer or inner half of the tire, depending on your other settings. You'll clearly see the uneven tread wear when you get done.

The only point here is that if you're changing tire pressures, consider the impact to your grip levels, because there is one, but it also depends on where you're worried about losing grip - a straight line, or in a turn.

I run 40psi on the Leaf on all 4 corners. It has increased the distance by about 2% - admittedly that's not a lot in a Leaf!! :)
Worst loss was changing the standard 16" wheels to 18" staggered 6 spokes from a Nissan 350Z with 245/45R18 rubber.
Looks and handles so much better, but dropped the range by 10%. I struggle to get 85 miles in summer, and 75 miles in winter.

??? Tire Pressure Monitoring Systems have been mandatory since 2008. Who needs to check pressure with an uncalibrated gauge?

The only time you will need to remove the cap is when the car tells you that you need to add more air.
Not sure what most automakers use now, but not all TPMS tell tire pressure, or at least not directly. Some just say a tire is low and may not even say which specific tire is low. My 2011 Audi doesn't tell me specific pressures because there is no sensor in the wheel that can measure pressure. Their system uses a wheel speed sensor to determine tire inflation. A deflated tire will rotate at slightly different speed than correctly inflated one. If I recall, the original Model S did not report individual pressures either, but I think it does now.

My Tesla page was updated this night during a dream...o_O

Teslyl%20a%20Tesla%20de%20Thierry.png

• Funny
Reactions: MissAutobahn
Not sure what most automakers use now, but not all TPMS tell tire pressure, or at least not directly. Some just say a tire is low and may not even say which specific tire is low. My 2011 Audi doesn't tell me specific pressures because there is no sensor in the wheel that can measure pressure. Their system uses a wheel speed sensor to determine tire inflation. A deflated tire will rotate at slightly different speed than correctly inflated one. If I recall, the original Model S did not report individual pressures either, but I think it does now.
Even the 2-series BMW now shows a graphic with individual tire pressure with .1 psi precision as well as each tire's temperature.

Referring to his Nissan Leaf:

So you put some lipstick on a pig?
I guess I did, but it stops it going down ditches on fast country roads, as it doesn't slide off towards the bends any more.
The Leaf has served a purpose - It has saved me enough money on fuel to buy a Tesla, and it has guaranteed I will never go back to ICE powered vehicles, so it isn't all bad! :)

Reactions: melindav