Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

mytesla page updated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I have two rez for a his and hers M3. Should I follow these recommendations? Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

Load sharing with multiple Wall Connectors
Up to four Tesla Wall Connectors can be linked together to intelligently share power from a single circuit breaker. This functionality is beneficial for homes or commercial locations which need to charge more than one Tesla vehicle at the same time, but may not have enough power for multiple electrical circuits. For this type of installation, an electrician can provide a distribution box to split power between multiple Wall Connectors and install a communication cable which enables the units to operate as a network. This allows one station to provide maximum power to a single vehicle, or to split power when more than one Tesla is plugged in. To maximize charging speed we recommend installing the largest circuit breaker possible for the electrical panel, up to 100 amps.
Sounds like a good recommendation.
If you have the capacity, put in a 100 amp breaker. If not, put in whatever your system will accommodate.
The nice thing about the new load sharing HPWCs is that they will divide up the available power.

Possibly he felt that the higher the amp you charge the harder it is on the physical charging equipment both onboard and his electrical installation.
I know that a 50 amp breaker is oversized -has a margin of safety. The wires, sockets all have an engineering tolerance. The system CAN run at full design load. But - there is no reason to run it under full load. The cables do get warm (not quite hot). The conductors/contactors may have air gaps that concentrate the current into remaining crossection ---all these add up to "Stress". Why would you run equipment wide out, fully loaded, fully stressed, every time when it is not needed? I have 8 hours at night to fill the battery - why cram it into 3 hours?

I know that a 50 amp breaker is oversized -has a margin of safety. The wires, sockets all have an engineering tolerance. The system CAN run at full design load. But - there is no reason to run it under full load. The cables do get warm (not quite hot). The conductors/contactors may have air gaps that concentrate the current into remaining crossection ---all these add up to "Stress". Why would you run equipment wide out, fully loaded, fully stressed, every time when it is not needed? I have 8 hours at night to fill the battery - why cram it into 3 hours?
Good advice. In general, you should over-engineer to build in safety capacity and under use to avoid stress.
Good to build in capacity and then don't use it. Heat stresses everything.
(Reminds me of engineers I have encountered who would read the specs for a power transistor and run it at full load... only to experience a raft of early failures.)

Respectfully it actually never runs fully loaded or at max rated capacity. In most NA jurisdictions the max continuous load on a residential car charge circuit is 80% of the circuit breaker, wire, and socket/outlet rated capacity. If someone wants to take advantage of the 48 amp onboard charger they need a 60 amp breaker and 6/3 awg wire for a run up to 150'. The maximum load is 48 amps with a 20% buffer. With a Nema 14-50 on a 50 amp breaker/wire max load is 40 amps again 80% of the rated capacity.
Due to car chargers being rated a 'continuous load' electrical code requires this 20% buffer. That is what protects the circuit and allows THAT circuit to run continuously at 48 amp draw without interruption for an indefinite period of time.