Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NADA full page ad in back to LA Times today

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
What do you mean by "Tesla traded my last car in"? One of their assigned dealers?

I said "when I traded my last car in..."

Tesla offered to take trade-ins directly, so I had them give me a quote. It was low, but I figured I'd sell it myself anyway. Those were early days and my Model S actually came in much sooner than expected and they wanted me to take delivery asap, so I just went with their trade in value. My point was simply that it was on the low end of the range, and the evaluation was based sight unseen. While you're correct that dealer trade-ins are generally less than what you'd get from a private sale, my past experiences have been in getting a value toward the high end of the range. Where I live, sales tax is calculated on the price of the new car minus the trade-in, so there's a little bump there.

I said "when I traded my last car in..."

Tesla offered to take trade-ins directly, so I had them give me a quote. It was low, but I figured I'd sell it myself anyway. Those were early days and my Model S actually came in much sooner than expected and they wanted me to take delivery asap, so I just went with their trade in value. My point was simply that it was on the low end of the range, and the evaluation was based sight unseen. While you're correct that dealer trade-ins are generally less than what you'd get from a private sale, my past experiences have been in getting a value toward the high end of the range. Where I live, sales tax is calculated on the price of the new car minus the trade-in, so there's a little bump there.

Got it. Sales tax on only the difference helps

Yeah, the dealers here in WA make a huge deal out of the sales tax benefit of a trade-in. However, it's nearly 10% and private sales are usually much more than 10% over dealer trade-in value. Most states have a lower sales tax so it makes a lot less difference on the average.

Oh, but you all are reading this so, so, so wrong!

HERE is how you should be taking this news:

The advertisement is a fine demonstration of the civicmindedness of the fine members of NADA.

Not only are they out there supporting local Little Leagues throughout the nation, but they are stepping up to the plate and assisting the poor, beleaguered, out-of-date print newspapers of the world by buying ad space.

See? Isn't it nice that NADA is there? ;)