Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire. Should I request roadside assistance or take it to a tire shop myself

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get a 5 dollar plug kit from Walmart, or wherever. Plug it. Pump it back up. Done.
Jeez I taught my daughter how to plug a tire when she learned to drive.

I’ve plugged countless car tires and even a couple motorcycle tires in my life, and never, ever had a single issue.
Did my first one at 16 yrs old. 40 years later I’m still doing it. Why are men so helpless today ?

Get a 5 dollar plug kit from Walmart, or wherever. Plug it. Pump it back up. Done.
Jeez I taught my daughter how to plug a tire when she learned to drive.

I’ve plugged countless car tires and even a couple motorcycle tires in my life, and never, ever had a single issue.
Did my first one at 16 yrs old. 40 years later I’m still doing it. Why are men so helpless today ?
Why are you assuming men?

I saw a nail today, I have less than 250 miles on the tire, so far I’m not losing air, but I’ll take it to a tire shop in the morning. It looks the the nail in on the block vs sipe. Saw the nail after I took A 100 mile round trip. I hope they can patch this up. Do new car come with road hazard warranty?

Attachments

• 5432A644-0C61-4DF0-9A92-6BC5E7CDBFAD.png
    5432A644-0C61-4DF0-9A92-6BC5E7CDBFAD.png
    530.4 KB · Views: 103
  • 9F91C9BD-C230-439D-9440-398DCBECBDD9.jpeg
    9F91C9BD-C230-439D-9440-398DCBECBDD9.jpeg
    423.6 KB · Views: 66
Ya all blind!? It’s not a nail it’s a screw. Definitely new tire.
Nah. The screw comes out with a screwdriver, and a plug goes in the hole. Easy peasy, and cheap and quick. Takes five minutes. Why, oh why, are people so willing to blow a bunch of money on a new tire when a plug costs maybe $5???? And why will people refuse to learn the simplest of maintenance procedures that can save lots of time and money??? I may be blind, but I'm not crazy, nor am I wasteful with my money, which is part of why I can drive a Tesla. Some people listen to their tire dealers too much, methinks.

I would take it somewhere and have them plug/patch if its a reasonable price.

I do plug my own tires if I’m stranded (or too lazy to take it somewhere), but I did learn that no one will re-patch a plug that is leaking.

A fix where they take off the tire, plug & patch is a more complete fix and should be done if possible.

And no factory car has a road hazard warranty that I know about. Discount Tire would happily sell you one though.

Reactions: Pianewman
I saw a nail today, I have less than 250 miles on the tire, so far I’m not losing air, but I’ll take it to a tire shop in the morning. It looks the the nail in on the block vs sipe. Saw the nail after I took A 100 mile round trip. I hope they can patch this up. Do new car come with road hazard warranty?
Discount tire will fix that- for free- even if you bought it somewhere else as far as I know- and in that location, it's a slam dunk that it's repairable I think. I had a nail in the edge of a tire I recently bought from Discount -~3000 miles on the tire- 1/32 of the tread life was worn, They indeed replaced the tire because of the location of the nail. And they were able to get credit from the manufacturer (Michelin) for almost the full value of the tire under the manufacture's warranty- I did not buy the "certificates" when I bought the tires. I gambled and lost, but at least I got most of the cost covered - YMMV.

Reactions: SpicyPaneer
Discount tire ,,, I did not buy the "certificates" when I bought the tires. I gambled and lost, but at least I got most of the cost covered - YMMV.
With only 1/32 worn, your gamble by NOT buying the certificates was indeed a loss. Sorry about that.

However, once tires are worn (how much? down to 8/32"? 7/32"?) and you have a non-repairable puncture, the certificate covers the replacement, but to keep tire tread reasonably equal on that axle, you STILL have to buy a new tire, to match the warranty replaced tire.

IMHO, the certificate is only worthy for the first 1/3-1/2 of the life of the tread, which is ironically when you're LESS likely to have a puncture.

Anyone care to comment on my logic?

Reactions: laservet and brkaus
Discount tire will fix that- for free- even if you bought it somewhere else as far as I know- and in that location, it's a slam dunk that it's repairable I think. I had a nail in the edge of a tire I recently bought from Discount -~3000 miles on the tire- 1/32 of the tread life was worn, They indeed replaced the tire because of the location of the nail. And they were able to get credit from the manufacturer (Michelin) for almost the full value of the tire under the manufacture's warranty- I did not buy the "certificates" when I bought the tires. I gambled and lost, but at least I got most of the cost covered - YMMV.
Thanks but no discount tire near me. I went to Costco, they did fix the tire the right way from inside out. Hopefully time will tell if it will leak or not. I have a portable air compressor in the car frunk. I glad it was fixed but they also scratched my new car rim, had to file a claim for this bs. A car with less the 230 miles with a wheel scratch. Fixed one problem, now another. Quick question, where to buy the wheel paint to hood this nasty scrape? About less than1/2 inch , but I’m adamant about keeping my cars clean and looking new. All guidance is always appreciated in advance. :)

Attachments

• F55BB101-D2E8-48D6-B34E-2664D6D6980C.jpeg
    F55BB101-D2E8-48D6-B34E-2664D6D6980C.jpeg
    324.6 KB · Views: 47
  • 15D94376-E726-4590-8E26-B8C4F0B9990B.jpeg
    15D94376-E726-4590-8E26-B8C4F0B9990B.jpeg
    316.7 KB · Views: 46
Costco said, they need to take the tire of the rim , cut the spring layer to apply the fix on the inside of the tire. I thought a normal plug would be suffice.
The best fix for a puncture is to mark where the valve stem is, remove the tire off the rim, cut out the foam over the puncture, plug/patch on the inside, re-glue the foam, remount the tire, aligning the mark with the valve stem. Marking the stem location means the tire doesn't need to be rebalanced.