Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nail in tire

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Read a lot of the previous flat tire threads but none really indicated what zone of the tire cannot be repaired (besides the obvious sidewall).

Attached a picture. right rear tire, 20". No leak at this time.

1. have a tire shop fix it
2. DIY Plug at home
3. just replace it

If anybody knows a good tire shop in Orange County, CA, let me know. Thanks!

tire.jpg

Head to discount tire. Don't DIY it. Its a foam tire.

Completely agree @JasJ
Foam tire?
what does that even mean? the innards? we have ~7K miles on the X, & we're looking at a 2nd flat repair already! 1st case was taken care of (2 weeks ago) at Tesla for $50 - a drywall screw right in the top tread placed like in the picture above. When they pulled it out, sure enough, it was a leaker. Was hoping it didn't go all the way through but - that's the way it goes. This 2nd one is a slow leaker w/ nothing noticeable. Doesn't Discount Tire/free presume you bought the Treads there? IOW, nothing in this world is free. are they truly that generous.

what's weird is between the 2 of us, we've driven over ¾M miles with nary a leak. what are the odds now of 2 w/in the same 2weeks .... or are the odds just catching up with us

Discount Tire will repair it for free even if you've never purchased tires from them before. I think to them they consider it a marketing cost: get people to go there for a free tire repair, and if the tire isn't repairable, they'll most likely buy the new tires from you anyways! It worked on me more than once!

There's a foam strip inside the tire to help reduce the road noise. Some tire places will tell you that it isn't repairable because of that, but Continental has a PDF on their website with instructions on how to repair these tires. Just Google ContiSilent Repair and it's one of the first results.

• Helpful
  • Informative
Reactions: hill and obe1
With all due respect and meaning no disrespect...

A tire plug properly applied will get you home safely. Then, if you're concerned, repair with Tesla certified dealer.

I plugged similar tires and NEVER looked back. The cars were performance vehicles and I heard no noise, had no further leakage, and drove them aggressively until returned on lease (and yes, I pointed out the repairs to the lease team on return).

Best,

T

I had this exact experience a couple months ago. Went to a firestone and had a heck of a time. First they could not get the lugnut covers off so I did that for them. Then they lift it and yes don’t use a pad so there are some scratches getting close to battery land but all is fine (whew). Then they take the tire off and say we can’t fix foam tires. Uggg!!

Took to service center. Dropped keys in Dropbox at night. They repaired it the next day quick and easy for $50.

Reactions: ps004ynos
With all due respect and meaning no disrespect...

A tire plug properly applied will get you home safely. Then, if you're concerned, repair with Tesla certified dealer.
The 1st flat on the X - $50 at the Tesla shop. The 2nd flat, just a week or 2 later? America's tire store, for free. Who do you think i'll go to, when it comes time to ditch the worn out continental's ...
:)
In my experience, Tesla won't plug tires. They just replace them.
Maybe that's a canada thing ... in the US, they're MORE than happy to rip off your $50.

Reactions: TOBASH
Foam tire?
what does that even mean? the innards? we have ~7K miles on the X, & we're looking at a 2nd flat repair already! 1st case was taken care of (2 weeks ago) at Tesla for $50 - a drywall screw right in the top tread placed like in the picture above. When they pulled it out, sure enough, it was a leaker. Was hoping it didn't go all the way through but - that's the way it goes. This 2nd one is a slow leaker w/ nothing noticeable. Doesn't Discount Tire/free presume you bought the Treads there? IOW, nothing in this world is free. are they truly that generous.

what's weird is between the 2 of us, we've driven over ¾M miles with nary a leak. what are the odds now of 2 w/in the same 2weeks .... or are the odds just catching up with us

Lucky you! I've had three tire changes in one year, in the same tire location. One was a road haz and the other two were side impact, all in the right rear. Apparently as told by my service tech, the car is very heavy so I should avoid stress on the side walls of the tire when parallel parking and making sharp rights. Hitting the curb or scrapping the curb weakens the side walls and leads to side burst over time. I am seriously thinking of getting tires that are appropriate for this car. These Continentals tires are crappy and expensive.

Lucky you! I've had three tire changes in one year, in the same tire location. .....snip.....
I am seriously thinking of getting tires that are appropriate for this car. These Continentals tires are crappy and expensive.
anyone recall any threads regarding any Continental replacements? My better ½ seems content to burn thru these pretty quick. 7,500 miles looks like 15K miles already.

@hill there are a number of threads online about replacement tires for the ContiSilent tires. None of the threads very useful. I'm guessing not enough people have had to replace them yet - or people are happy shelling out the big dollars for this crappy tires.

The best recommendation I have found was to try out the Yokohama Parada Spec-X. I have found a few scattered threads where people said they tried them and they are working well and wearing well so far without a bunch of 'noise' problems. I'm due to replace in a couple of months and have decided to go with this tire since it is much less expensive than either the Continental or Michelins.

I'm dying for other opinions but also after extensive searching have not found solid recommendations beyond staying the course. At most people suggested switching to Michelin Latitude Sport and a few cited they would have better tread life.... but they are also very expensive. So I'm trying the Yokohama.

I've had my X 90D for about 18 months and almost 28k miles and I've had 3 failures of the ContiSilient tires ($401.50 to replace it each time at the SC). I'm done with them. I'm probably going to swap them out for either of these. Not sure yet which one. Reviews for the Yokohama seem pretty good, and they're cheap enough to test them out. If I do, I'll post back my thoughts of either.

20" Yokohama Parada Spec-X ($660 total)
20" Pirelli Scorpion Zero All Season Plus ($960 total)