Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NanoFlowcell Quant, Quantino

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That's a nice looking car and a cool concept! So its using flow batteries instead of regular batteries. That means they're going to have to produce two separate electrolyte fuels to make it work and they'll have to build a fueling infrastructure too. Both undertakings are no joke. But I think it's a really good idea and I hope it works!

I have a feeling some of their claims are a bit exaggerated though. There's no way they're getting 120kWh of energy storage off of sea water alone. That smells like BS to me. So much so that I'll be in the "cautiously optimistic" category until I see a working prototype that backups their claims. I was cautiously optimistic about Tesla too until they demonstrated their prototype. After that I was sold.

If Quant had claimed that they were using a more traditional liquid other then salt water I think I would be sold on the idea. But I guess they can always change the liquid, and that's probably what they're planning to do anyway. Bait and switch marketing

I have a feeling some of their claims are a bit exaggerated though. There's no way they're getting 120kWh of energy storage off of sea water alone. That smells like BS to me. So much so that I'll be in the "cautiously optimistic" category until I see a working prototype that backups their claims.

At one point I thought I had read that they were utilizing capacitors - but I can't find the reference anymore. Could they have possibly developed an auto grade supercapacitor? Of course the story they are trying to hype is this new fuel (ha! sea water, riiiiight) in order to grab headlines.

...Of course the story they are trying to hype is this new fuel (ha! sea water, riiiiight) in order to grab headlines.

I just noticed that at the 2:07 mark it says "Powered by Ionic Salt." Ionic salt can't hold a solid form so it turns into a liquid - or better put - it turns into liquid salt. So they're blurring the line between liquid salt and salt water. Does anyone know the process for turning salt water into liquid salt? I wonder how much it costs to produce Ionic Liquid and what kind of recourses are needed to produce it (i.e. electricity)

Last edited by a moderator:
Quant E -> Quant F ...but still very early concept car. They haven't even crash-tested it. Way to go until production version (if they'll ever make it at all).

News-Detail

Thanks, finally some numbers in that link!

735V system voltage
400V "normal operation" voltage
800kW peak power
2000A peak current
50A sustained current from flow cell

stretching my napkin math fu.
I go with the peak power from the "newyl developed buffer system": 2000A delivering 800kW requires 400V. Check.
The 50A from the flow cell (excuse me: nanoFlowCell) will resupply energy to the buffer system at 400V, making 20kW.

This number is comparable to the electric output of the 37bhp BMW i3 range extender engine. :cool:

But at least the Quant looks snazzy.

Wow, 9 pages.

A tip for new readers: Please re-read the old pages 1, 2 and 3 of this thread carefully. Some useful links there about the background of this company and its "execs" (aka music stars and "solar inventors").

Either the CEO has reformed himself in the meantime (I highly doubt it) or this project is still pure snake oil from people trying to lure in more dumb investor money (or even worse) with techno-babble speak.

I suspect this car project will end in courtrooms and not in showrooms one day.

PS: But maybe we will get to see a new music video soon. The old one is getting stale:

Nunzio La Vecchia - Club Soda «nightshift» - YouTube

Last edited:
"The improvements that have given the system such a major performance boost are the result of research into the quantum chemistry of electrolytic fluids. The most important innovation of the nanoFLOWCELL is in its significantly higher charge- and power-density thanks to an extremely high concentration of ionic charge carriers in the cell system's electrolyte"

Oooo, "quantum chemistry" with a liberal sprinkling of "nanotechnology." To quote the great WC Fields, "If you can't dazzle them with brilliance, baffle them with bulls**t."

I would also recommend the latest Infinite Monkey Cage podcast "When Quantum Goes Woo (Feb 9)", which discusses "why quantum physics is often so popular with purveyors of pseudo-science and quackery"

BBC - Podcasts and Downloads - The Infinite Monkey Cage

"The improvements that have given the system such a major performance boost are the result of research into the quantum chemistry of electrolytic fluids. The most important innovation of the nanoFLOWCELL is in its significantly higher charge- and power-density thanks to an extremely high concentration of ionic charge carriers in the cell system's electrolyte"

I admit I love Star Trek in (almost) all its incarnations, and this technobabble BS fits right in there with the best of their fictitious ideas.

If I understand vandium flow redox batteries correctly, the electrolyte is concentrated sulfuric acid. Not exactly the stuff you want to pump in and out of your car. I'd rather operate a gas pump than a conc H2SO4 pumping station. Sort of negates the "fast fueling" argument.

New Quantino announced from nanoFlowcell AG

The makers of the crazy Quant sport limousine introduced Quantino, the e car for the masses with a >600 miles range ! It runs on 4 25KW ,l low voltage 48 volts motors.

I really hope they succeed, it just sounds all to good to be true. I am in Switzerland during the car show when they introduce it, maybe I have the time to stop by the Genf auto show.

Search a little on La Vecchia and the Quant. Sure it looks kinda cool but its just a shell. The car hasn't been driven 1 mile even. Just a scam. introduced in 2009 but no one has ever driven one. La Vecchia has been in court for acquiring money he shouldn't have had. The guy is way to slick to be serious.

Ive heard someone say, if its to good to be true, its often so.

The next Elon Musk?

Don't think so... :)

nunzio.jpg

The Incredible Astounding Amazing Mr Nunzio La Vecchia and his Quant Powered Supercar | The Red Ferret Journal

Scam artist.

But hey, if the Quant doesn't work out (with its 11600 Nm of torque) he can always fall back on his astounding music career:

Last edited by a moderator: