Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav losing track of car's actual location

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
The last two nights while driving home with the navigation turned on I noticed that the dash screen nav never thinks I made it to my next turn (that pane now frozen) while on the main screen my vehicle starts tracking anywhere from a half block to over two blocks "off road". By the time I got home the car location was over two blocks away and off road. This morning the car's location finally corrected itself after a couple of miles as I drove back to work. Tonight the same thing happened again. Tonight I rebooted both displays and it still shows my car in the wrong location. I have taught my suspension to raise to it's highest setting at my street, which no longer works as my car never thinks it has reached my street as it shows me couple of blocks away. This just started after only having the car for a week and a half. Any way to rest or recalibrate the GPS?

Best,
-Mark

I've had this happen a few times too-- makes nav directions a come mess and nearly useless.

While I've successfully fixed it with reboots on the screen, I've also noticed that it will fix itself after a while. Not sure what's going on, but generally I leave it alone now and it will eventually track closer and closer to actual location until corrected. Takes maybe 10 miles or so? Anyway... haven't seen it lately but can't remember if I've had a software update since last occurrence or not.

I've had some similar experiences, and have talked to Tesla a few times on the phone while it was going on. They identified a music player I had plugged in to one of the USB ports and asked me to remove it; I did so and haven't had a reocurrence since although the issue was always so intermittent that I wouldn't necessarily say that was definitely the issue. However, maybe it was and if you have anything connected via USB, maybe try without for a while. I switched from an mp3 player to a USB stick for my music, and the thumb drive doesn't seem to be causing problems for the past three weeks or so at least.

When I had this (one time I was parked in Maryland, and the map showed I was in VA on the other side of the Patomac) the SC found that there was a connection problem to the GPS antenna located in the rear window. SC replaced the rear window and has been fine since.

• Informative
Reactions: David99
I've seen this in our 2015 Model S P85D several times including this morning... and I have NOT have a USB drive plugged into my Tesla's USB port. I reboot holding down both steering wheel buttons when its safe to do so and works again for an unknown period of time.

Annoying... but otherwise the car is AMAZING !!!