Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav on AP with Auto-Lane Change unusable in current state

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not claiming that this isn’t the case elsewhere. Several people in this thread (who quite likely haven’t even driven in the state of California before) have been insistent that this is the rule in California, despite me having posted numerous statements from the CA DMV, the CA law itself, Wikipedia, and multiple videos showing exactly how people actually use the lanes here. Also, what you’re referring to in NJ is quite likely something like a 2 lane highway (each direction), where it obviously makes sense that one lane is a passing only lane. That is far different from the vast majority of areas where southern californians drive, where every freeway has 5+ lanes. It makes little to no sense to designate one lane as a “passing only” lane, nor would it ever be capable of being enforced anyway given the typical driving conditions here. But again, all of that is irrelevant, because again, the #1 lane is NOT a “passing only” lane in CA. Period.

Also, you shouldn’t use EAP/NOA in adverse weather. It says that in the EAP section of the Tesla manual. It’s extremely dangerous. The fact that you’re testing beta software, which is software that’s in its infancy not just at Tesla, but within the auto industry in general, during rain storms where you even admit theres so much rain you can’t even see the lane markers is honestly frightening. This is a perfect example of the major problem with Tesla releasing unfinished software to the general public. Too many people are WAY too confident in its capabilities and not nearly concerned enough about its limitations. What’s worse is that I’m sure you’ll probably now assume it works just fine in a rain storm because you happened to make it through one without crashing.

In NJ it is actually iligal to drive in the left lane unless you are passing another car. And I'm not referring to roads with just 2 lanes, one for each direction.

Fortunately the police is not very strict about it, but one can get a ticket for driving in the left lane unless passing another car.

Driving in the Left Lane: Can You Avoid Getting a Ticket? - Beninato & Matrafajlo

Same thing in some European countries. In Portugal for example, the police is constantly looking for people doing this and are very strict. Zero tolerance.

As far as using AP during bad weather, I'm very aware of it's limitations and had my hands on the wheel all times, ready to take over if the car did anything stupid, I was actually expecting for that to happen but it didn't. It will be a very long time before I trust the system 90%, but I'm still very impressed how it's constantly improving.

Last edited:
In NJ we have traffic signs stating that stay to the RT and use LT Lane to pass.

Also used NOA AP today during all the rain and a lot of traffic, very impressed by how the AP performed, there were areas with so much water on the road that I couldn't even see the lane markings yet AP had no problem navigating through those areas.

My AutoPilot shuts down when it sees poor visibility due to weather. And I’m glad it does.