TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Nav strange behaviour

Discussion in 'Australia & New Zealand' started by raynewman, Oct 10, 2015.

1. raynewman

raynewman Member

While driving along a straight 2 km stretch of suburban road in Brisbane today, the little red arrow car icon just went in circles in one place - most strange.

[video]https://plus.google.com/u/0/107631671374825180371/posts/Q1kzZ5sSA5x?pid=6203916089714563154&oid=107631671374825180371[/video]

2. fwgmills

fwgmills Member

I don't know how tall the buildings on that street are, but all GPS has trouble on streets with tall buildings because the car can only see satellites directly above you and may not be able to lock 3 satellites (required for an accurate fix). I get this effect sometimes driving the streets in downtown Dallas, TX because of building height blocking satellites.

3. raynewman

raynewman Member

That shouldn't be a problem. The street is quite open in places and I travel it regularly without a problem.

4. Trav

Trav Member

My nav did the same thing at about 3pm WST.

maybe it was a problem with the satellite...

5. raynewman

raynewman Member

Mine was at 2:35 PM EST or 12:35 PM WST - so probably not.

6. Dborn

Dborn Confirmed

Dancing for joy?

7. Wattup

Wattup Member

Or practising for a bit of circle work in the paddock for a B&S ball out west. After all Ray already has the tux ready to go. Was the last car a V8 ute?

8. mymobile

mymobile New Member

Is it because it's trying to get you to go back for "Sammy's Girl" which is different to the seafood shop named the same?

9. mymobile

mymobile New Member

It was "Fortitude" Valley.

10. Ramjet73

Ramjet73 Member

I've seen similar behaviour from phone GPSs, I think it's usually related to bad location data. While your GPS was in the Valley, as it was not Friday/Saturday night it is unlikely it was drunk :)

11. WhiteStar

WhiteStar Member

Unless Ray really did do doughnuts at a B&S Ball in the Valley, I think our friend from Dallas has provided the most likely accurate answer. Typically a minimum of three satellite fixes are required for triangulating a roughly accurate location although much greater accuracy is achieved with more satellite fixes. As stated, buildings, trees even clouds can obscure a fix so most likely that the dancing icon occurs when there’s less than 3 satellite fixes at any given time.