Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Nav voice glitch

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I live close to California Highway 24 and drive that a lot. It shows up on the Nav as CA-24 E or CA-24 W. The voice turn by turn reads that out loud to me as "California twenty-four west" but "ka two four east." It's kinda annoying each time I hear the "ka two four east!"

I live close to California Highway 24 and drive that a lot. It shows up on the Nav as CA-24 E or CA-24 W. The voice turn by turn reads that out loud to me as "California twenty-four west" but "ka two four east." It's kinda annoying each time I hear the "ka two four east!"

I have the TomTom app on my iPhone, and it couldn't pronounce Los Angeles. It kept saying loss-an-hallies. Oddly it nailed La Jolla. A software update seems to have fixed that, so maybe Tesla will update the voices at some point.

If they were using any decent text to speech package that used the generic text to speech logic as long as no specific override existed for a particular word or phrase, issues like this would vanish quickly.

Having worked with IVR (Integrated Voice Response) systems in the past, this type of correction was commonly used when the generic text to speech came up with an atrociously mangled pronunciation of the desired reading. Mind you this type of solution was working back in the dark ages around the Y2K debacle when I contracted for the USPS (through NeXT / Apple of all people), and it was mostly corrections to city or street names, which is exactly the issue with the Model S navigation system.

Geez, I'm feeling like applying an old anti-Apple saying to Tesla: Bringing you yesterday's technology, today, at tomorrow's pricing! :redface: