Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navak USB combo hub (Gen 2) ready to fly

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Any commentary on the Samsung Pro Endurance vs the SanDisk High Endurance? I am a huge fan of Samsung flash technologies. I still rock 4 Samsung 830 SSDs in RAID 0 for my PC boot drive (They are super old) and use their 15TB drives in at work in servers and have multiple NVMEe drives all over at home and work.
Since the Samsung tops out at 128 GB and it was released a couple years later I wonder if it has more redundancy than the SanDisk. The SanDisk Max Endurance card was too expensive so I passed.
IMG_5470s.JPG

Reactions: Navak
Any commentary on the Samsung Pro Endurance vs the SanDisk High Endurance? I am a huge fan of Samsung flash technologies. I still rock 4 Samsung 830 SSDs in RAID 0 for my PC boot drive (They are super old) and use their 15TB drives in at work in servers and have multiple NVMEe drives all over at home and work.
Since the Samsung tops out at 128 GB and it was released a couple years later I wonder if it has more redundancy than the SanDisk. The SanDisk Max Endurance card was too expensive so I passed.
View attachment 570095
Samsung specs are better than SanDisk`s High Endurance, the only downside it`s a 128GB. Max Endurance has better specs but the cost it too high.

Samsung Pro Endurance 128GB: Designed to record up to 43,800 hours

SanDisk High Endurance 256GB: Designed to record up to 20,000 hours

SanDisk Max Endurance 256GB: Designed to record up to 120,000 hours

• Informative
Reactions: brkaus
I wonder how much data they consider "an hour"

Ah wait I found it-

Based on Full HD (1920×1080) video content recorded at 26 Mbps video support

So that's 3.25 MB/s

Tesla is only recording at 2 MB/s... so that turns into 71175 hours of recording.

I usually do my math assuming 9 hours a day of sentry use (8 hours at work, 30 min drive each way... likely MUCH less on weekends or during pandemics) so that's.... 21.67 years of recording.

So...probably not much need to go with anything larger.

I guess if you run sentry 24/7/365 though it "only" gets you 8.125 years of use... which is still longer than most people own a car for.

Hmm unexpected. The SanDisk states 40 MB/s write but I almost obtained 90. Of course my 10Gb UASP external SSD puts these to shame. I wonder if the 4 camera streams is more like random or sequential IO? Since the Tesla is USB 2 I guess who cares.

Oddly in my PC the HUBM3SD seems to be limited to 160Mbps instead of 480 in both USB 3 and 2 ports. Still many times more than fast enough.

I did not realize exFAT worked fine with no issues. Dashcam and sentry mode seem good. This weekend I will test charging a couple phones at once while using my xbox controller at the same time.
Does anyone know what happens if you have connect a sd-card and SSD when both have TeslaCam folders?

Reactions: Navak
I have a music partition on the SSD which also handled dashcam in the past. :) Guess I should just redo the whole SSD for music and exFAT.
Got it. If you don't want to re-format the drive, you could just remove the TeslaCam folder. You could then have music on both partitions, though you have to switch between them. That is no biggie, but if you are shuffling music, it will only shuffle from the active volume.

I beta tested the Gen 2 Navak and have an SD card in the Navak along with my original USB thumb. And FWIW, if you do something like that, it doesn't matter where the USB is plugged in (either Navak or direct) - it acts the same way. One of the things I tested during beta :)

Reactions: lUtriaNt
I’m getting ready to pick up my M3 next week and am looking into options for setting up teslacam/sentry. How are people liking this gen2 splitter? Does seem pricier than other options but I like the small footprint and how everything is integrated.

Also, I tried to use the amazon promo code listed on this thread but it doesn’t seem to be valid. Wondering if it’s now expired.

Reactions: lUtriaNt
hit up @Navak via DM, he should hook you up.

i had the first gen and then bought the second gen right away. these are true intelligent hubs, with built in card slot! and the footprint is very nice. i have two - one for sentry and the other for music.

i like to support indie vendors and can fully recommend this module.

As I understand it, the USB C port is used by the wireless charger for the phone, leaving only the USB A port for other things. I plan to listen mostly to the FM radio; any additional music would be via Bluetooth connection to my iPhone. The USB A port would be for TeslaCam. So I wouldn't need a Navak or any other form of USB splitter.

(The two rear USB ports are for power only, right?)

Am I missing anything?

As I understand it, the USB C port is used by the wireless charger for the phone, leaving only the USB A port for other things.

That's only been true on cars built since ~2.5 months ago.

The dual navak folks are the ones using cars like Tesla built the previous many years where it was instead 2 USB A ports in the front and you had to bring your own wireless charging pad and it required use of BOTH available USB-A ports, hence need for some kind of splitter and the Navak was by far best of the bunch.

I plan to listen mostly to the FM radio; any additional music would be via Bluetooth connection to my iPhone. The USB A port would be for TeslaCam. So I wouldn't need a Navak or any other form of USB splitter.

Yes, if you don't care about playing higher quality music from USB, and don't have any need for plugging in a game controller, the single USB-A front port for dashcam is all you need.

(The two rear USB ports are for power only, right?)

Yup- and I think those are USB-C now on the recent cars as well (they were also A ports for most of Teslas existence)

• Informative
Reactions: Michelle_eriw
Status
Not open for further replies.