Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

"Navigate on Autopilot (beta)"

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Traffic wasn't quite as heavy today and the lane change worked fine crossing from fast lane over two lanes (one at a time - seems to give itself almost a mile per lane change) and exiting the highway. Someone here said you need to click the turn signal all the way down/up to initiate the lane change, but you only need to do the temporary signal (not click). Then it changes lanes with no further action on your part.

I still get a kick out of the turn signal coming on by itself upon freeway exit for some reason. It just strikes me as really cool, even though it's basic compared to all the other aspects of EAP.

Are you model S, X or 3? If model S or X I personally prefer to confirm suggested lane changes by pulling one autopilot stalk instead of turn signal. I feel that way is easier :) because it is the same for left and right and blinker turns on its own and turns off :)

Are you model S, X or 3? If model S or X I personally prefer to confirm suggested lane changes by pulling one autopilot stalk instead of turn signal. I feel that way is easier :) because it is the same for left and right and blinker turns on its own and turns off :)
I wish they can add the ability to confirm lane changes on Model 3 by pulling down once on the autopilot/gear stalk.

I actually like having to confirm the lane changes, and prefer it over unattended lane changes (at least for now). Right now the car suggests asinine changes sometimes, especially in traffic. Like turning into the slowest moving lane 2+ miles before an exit to “follow the route” even though that exit is 10+minutes away in current traffic.

On my AP2 car, it will often suggest a lane change into a “faster” lane, even though there is a car moving slower just ahead of its camera/radar vision in the other lane.

It also does stupid things like suggest I turn into the exit only lane for the northbound highway to follow the route when I am actually going south...

So, at least until they clean up some of these annoying details, being able to ignore stupid suggestions is helpful.

I’m on 42.2. But no AP on Nav. I called and it’s not available in Canada yet. Does anyone here know when/if that might change? Also, what’s the holdup? Perhaps a few of theTesla Owner Clubs could pressure/advocate for regulatory changes, if necessary.

I have 42.2. Drive in heavy traffic 100miles per day while about half those miles AP is engaged. I love autopilot, but navigate on autopilot has failed to improve my driving experience. I prefer to look many cars/brake lights ahead of me to determine my lane changes. Because the AP camera is only capturing those immediately ahead, it will tend to suggest the wrong lane. Additionally, this feature would benefit drivers the most in dense traffic, however, with my distance set at a “1” I still rarely found opportunities to actually allow the car to change lanes using the stalk. Finally, I definitely won’t use it exit or merge off the highway where a reduced speed is required. Of the 5 or so times i tried it, it braked so much that I’m certain the people behind me were cursing me for slowing up so much just to exit. All in all, i would use this feature primarily for road trips when i tend to zone out and need a little reminder that i’m Driving in the slow lane.

• Helpful
Reactions: jrad6515
I actually like having to confirm the lane changes, and prefer it over unattended lane changes (at least for now). Right now the car suggests asinine changes sometimes, especially in traffic. Like turning into the slowest moving lane 2+ miles before an exit to “follow the route” even though that exit is 10+minutes away in current traffic.

On my AP2 car, it will often suggest a lane change into a “faster” lane, even though there is a car moving slower just ahead of its camera/radar vision in the other lane.

It also does stupid things like suggest I turn into the exit only lane for the northbound highway to follow the route when I am actually going south...

So, at least until they clean up some of these annoying details, being able to ignore stupid suggestions is helpful.

I agree with all of the above. I'm really torn because I WANT to like this feature I've been waiting 4 years for, but I'm not there yet. My biggest beef is that the way things are now, I have to focus way too much attention on the screen and satisfying all the demands the car is making on my attention, and not enough on the road and other cars. "Do you want to change lanes? Keep pressure on the wheel. Touch this, do that." It's too much. Presumably it will be better in the future, but I'm not exactly thrilled with the current state.

• Informative
Reactions: Cosmacelf

S, per my sig :) I find the autopilot stalk too hard to find as it sits low and is not as long as the turn signal stalk. And the turn signal turns on/off by itself on lane change using the turn signal stalk too - just don't engage it all the way to "click".

I wish they can add the ability to confirm lane changes on Model 3 by pulling down once on the autopilot/gear stalk.
Oops, just tried it out today and you can confirm with the gear selector on Model 3. Didn't know that.

Pretty cool overall, but definitely still pretty sketchy. Will definitely wait for this feature to mature before I use it regularly. I don't like how it slams the brakes to change lanes into a slightly slower lane, which causes some disruption when in the faster moving lane. Also noticed a lot of false positives of vehicles on my sides, it thought vehicles that were 2 lanes over were next to me and aborted lane changes. I can see why they disabled ULC from the get-go.

S, per my sig :) I find the autopilot stalk too hard to find as it sits low and is not as long as the turn signal stalk. And the turn signal turns on/off by itself on lane change using the turn signal stalk too - just don't engage it all the way to "click".

Oh ok ::) haven’t tried such way with turn signal stalk. I will give it a try how it goes for me. And for some reason this forum while reading on the phone doesn’t show signatures which is weird...

Just completed a 600+ mile round trip on various Interstates in Florida. My Model 3 is on version 2018.42.3. I drove with Navigate on AutoPilot turned on most of the time. Over all it performed well, however, there were some flaky situations in which I had to take control of the car:

One of these situations (which has already been described on other posts) involved slowing down too abruptly and not going at the flow of the rest of the traffic when exiting from one interstate to another.

Three times the car started slowing down dramatically while in the middle of an interstate (not near an upcoming exit) for no reason that I could ascertain. There was a fourth time that this occurred that I was able to attribute to the AutoPilot misinterpreting two motorcycles that were driving in an adjacent lane side by side as one motorcycle and one larger vehicle sharing the same lane. Autopilot must have thought that the motorcycle it saw had to turn into my lane.

Another strange behavior was AutoPilot asking for confirmation for a lane change "to stay on the route" when the lane I was in was fine and had no one in front of me. This happened twice.

Overall it was a positive experience, however, as others have reported, there are some obvious bugs that need to be worked out.

PS; This trip was also my first extensive use of Super Chargers and the experience was very positive. I met some nice people and found the locations to be very convenient with good 'services' with easy walking distance.

Not a bug but something else I had not experienced before: one time I accelerated manually to assist with a lane change and got locked out of AutoPilot for going too fast. I had to exit at a rest area and stop the car before it would allow me to re-engage AutoPilot of any kind.

Tried it again last night, and it doesn't seem to work as well in the dark. It refused to merge onto the highway and disconnected as I was running out of merge lane. and as I was exiting the highway, it seemed unsure of the exit and slowed abruptly. The exit ramp was also a cloverleaf, so maybe the curve was too tight for it, especially in the dark? Anyway, this was my wife's first experience in my Tesla with EAP engaged, and wasn't too impressed.

• Informative
Reactions: hh83917
Couldn't find mention of this feature anywhere else. Definitely the first time I've seen it

Now before you judge me for being in the passing lane, keep in mind it wasn't busy and that there was a somewhat empty lane on the left, with traffic definitely passing but not enough for me to be concerned. I was sure to keep an eye out for NoA blocking any passers.

Anyone else seen this before?
image1 (2).jpeg

Couldn't find mention of this feature anywhere else. Definitely the first time I've seen it

Now before you judge me for being in the passing lane, keep in mind it wasn't busy and that there was a somewhat empty lane on the left, with traffic definitely passing but not enough for me to be concerned. I was sure to keep an eye out for NoA blocking any passers.

View attachment 361434

I’m judging you for not cleaning your IC...just kidding

What FW version are you running?

Reactions: 1375mlm
Three times the car started slowing down dramatically while in the middle of an interstate (not near an upcoming exit) for no reason that I could ascertain. There was a fourth time that this occurred that I was able to attribute to the AutoPilot misinterpreting two motorcycles that were driving in an adjacent lane side by side as one motorcycle and one larger vehicle sharing the same lane. Autopilot must have thought that the motorcycle it saw had to turn into my lane.

I have had to refrain from using Nav-On-Auto because of this 'slow down'. It usually occurs after I ignore the lane change recommendation. It would voluntarily slow down in the middle of the freeway as if to force me to change lane. I'm talking going from 75 mph to almost 45 mph abruptly. I still use the regular Autopilot quite a lot and I've got no issues with it.

View attachment 361434
Yes, I see that in mine too since updated to 2018.48.1.

A rear facing radar would make all the difference here. Without it the vision system is relied upon to calculate speed differential. I'm guessing that is more difficult to implement.
IMHO FSD won't be achieved until we have radar on all 4 corners, front and rear. The cameras aren't enough to judge distance with the kind of accuracy and safety needed.. especially in poor visibility conditions. And the sonar/parking sensor don't have adequqad range or reliability at faster speed