Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate on autopilot not in Canada? 2018.42

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Frustrating - got the same car - paid good money and no summon, and no navigate on autopilot. At least they should've said something so we are not checking for updates and searching for menu options and wondering when or if we will get this.

It is NOT map based. If it were map based it would have kicked us off the second we got into Canada. It disappeared as soon as it connected to a home LTE network.
It is 100% based on whether the car is connected via a Canadian Cell network or a US cell network, so IP based.

That’s probably why My weekend trip to Buffalo and Niagara Falls did not activate because it’s still connecting to Canadian Tower...

• Informative
Reactions: Trevlan006
This would seem to suggest it is map-based?

No, I think it's based on GPS location.

It is NOT map based. If it were map based it would have kicked us off the second we got into Canada. It disappeared as soon as it connected to a home LTE network.
It is 100% based on whether the car is connected via a Canadian Cell network or a US cell network, so IP based.

Strongly leaning towards GPS location and maybe IP if you connected to WiFi. It wouldn't know based on cell towers, the cars have AT&T sims and when roaming it still routes traffic through AT&T in the states.

I commute every weekend between Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA. Without fail the past several weeks:

1. Within 6-12 hours of crossing the border into Canada. NoA disappears.
2. Within 12-24 hours of crossing back into the U.S., NoA reappears.

Whether it's GPS-based, LTE-based, maps-based, etc. I don't know.

But while I'm in Canada before NoA disappears, I can type in destinations in Canada and NoA will work. However, I can tell the map data for HOV lanes, off-ramps, etc., at least in and around the lower mainland for B.C., is extremely outdated and/or extremely inaccurate. Some off-ramps are marked as much as 500m off causing NoA to go off the rails.

So I do NOT use NoA at all now while in B.C., but it does suck it can take as long as a full day before I get NoA re-activated when I'm back in the U.S.

I commute every weekend between Vancouver, BC and Seattle, WA. Without fail the past several weeks:

But while I'm in Canada before NoA disappears, I can type in destinations in Canada and NoA will work. However, I can tell the map data for HOV lanes, off-ramps, etc., at least in and around the lower mainland for B.C., is extremely outdated and/or extremely inaccurate. Some off-ramps are marked as much as 500m off causing NoA to go off the rails.

So I do NOT use NoA at all now while in B.C., but it does suck it can take as long as a full day before I get NoA re-activated when I'm back in the U.S.

This makes sense with the behaviour that I saw. I didn't notice the NoA option until the following day and I got home late and didn't disable until the following morning.

What's your definition of map based, that once you cross the border it gives you a different map? Or that based on your location it knows which region you're in?

There is code that extracts the locale (US, CA, MX etc.) from the current map region used. That locale is used to enable or disable features like summon with fob, NoA etc.. The code that checks the locale to enable or disable features only runs once a day, normally.

I can also confirm using NoA in Vancouver BC is “hit and miss”. Excuse the pun... I did a test drive to USA to Burlington and I pulled over and rebooted the car once I was on the USA network. Feature activated within n a few minutes of the reboot.

Regarding the maps.. my thoughts:
NoA was trying to suggest a lane that did not exist and even exit from highway to exit ramp required turn signal confirmation.
Possibly: Perhaps, when the software NoA was uploaded to the car, it also uploaded the more detailed maps for only the USA since it is only meant for USA.. and will load the more advanced detailed maps when Canadian is released.
Possible: it is also possible that the Canadian maps are not complete yet causing the delay and it is not a regulation issue...

Just thoughts.

• Informative
Reactions: Falkirk