Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigate with NO Highways?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can avoid "toll roads" but it would be nice to avoid "freeways" when using the Navigation inside a city.
Because the Navigation always tries to use a freeway entry and exit even if using a surface road will be shorter and simpler.

However it would be nice to select using only "major arteries" and to avoid "residential roads":
- to use more straight avenues instead of curvy residential roads with many stop signs,
- to use intersections with traffic light when making a left turn,
- to use itinerary where the speed limit is higher, like 35 mph instead of 15 or 25 mph.

Thanks Rich.
Once again Tesla "knows" what you want even if you don't want it
lol. You made this post like 4-5 times in a row now? Complaining that the Tesla doesn’t have niche features…. Lol.

I think the navigation determines its route based on what is easiest for fsd/autopilot since it seems to avoid turns and cross traffic when navigating.

Thanks Shy.
Tesla has been selling cars for roughly 15 years so I would imagine that they are well aware of this but have decided not to address the navigation system to avoid highways
in 15 years Tesla doesn't even have a music app that can resume the playback where it left or paused..
I was getting options to play the music from my phone. sure I can do that, but for 70k car, I like the car player to resume my mp3 not my phone.

Can you have it NOT navigate through forest / indian service roads?
Off roading with sand only roads? (Made more interesting with rain starting.)

Attachments

• IMG_5850.jpeg
    IMG_5850.jpeg
    244.9 KB · Views: 125
Here in Rhode Island and Connecticut, especially the I95 corridor from NYC to Boston, highways usually mean "more time on the trip". Avoid highway mode traveling from saw exit 1 in Rhode Island to Warwick is actually less time using Rt 3 during rush hour. Would be nice if Tesla would implement a feature that even DVD based nav systems had in the early 2000s

Thanks Rich.
Once again Tesla "knows" what you want even if you don't want it
Yep, too bad because I prefer to avoid highways at times .. recent foliage drive .. I created on Google Maps by establishing 3 way points, shared my "directions" with Tesla and it didn't work .. the so-called share is merely the destination and it only saw the first stop. I expected a little more "intelligence" but now wish I could use WAZE or Android Auto on the big screen instead.

Yep, too bad because I prefer to avoid highways at times .. recent foliage drive .. I created on Google Maps by establishing 3 way points, shared my "directions" with Tesla and it didn't work .. the so-called share is merely the destination and it only saw the first stop. I expected a little more "intelligence" but now wish I could use WAZE or Android Auto on the big screen instead.
There is a way....

That being said, theres a better option. I have this screen SOLELY for CarPlay and it direct me via Google or Apple Maps with no highway mode on. Works great and doesnt affect the sound/music on the main Tesla UI.

Humble plug, drop a sub to my channel and stay un to date on these things!

• Funny
Reactions: TexasDuke
I prefer using GoogleMaps to avoid highways but my location on the (Google) map doesn't keep updating.
When I bring up Google Maps .. the "next turn info" moves over the driving panel (left side) which is nice.
Am I missing something with HOW my phone is sharing via BlueTooth becasue the phone (Android) updates my location.
Telsa map is a pain because won't stay zoomed in .. is there a setting somewhere ???
It keeps looking at the whole state of CT and ya can't see the roads I'm on or the turns coming up.
Also the immediate travel path often gets covered up with the ETA sign .. pretty lousy setup.