Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation advice

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
OK thank you for your thoughts on this.
It does beg the question, what's the point of Premium Connectivity?
Is all I'm getting a map overlay telling me about a traffic jam I'm headed straight for?
And spotify?
Can someone with PC give me the benefits? Also, if you have unlimited data then I'm wondering if simply hooking up the phone is the better optiion given you pay for that already.
Thoughts gratefully received.
Scrap that, I just reread Spsheridan's helpful answer and it's all there.
I wonder why Sentry Mode needs Premium connectivity?

Scrap that, I just reread Spsheridan's helpful answer and it's all there.
I wonder why Sentry Mode needs Premium connectivity?

Sentry mode doesn't need Premium Connectivity. Watching a live stream of your car's cameras whilst in Sentry Mode requires Premium Connectivity. The car will still record triggered video on it's memory stick with standard connectivity.

Reactions: Benjamin163
Is all I'm getting a map overlay telling me about a traffic jam I'm headed straight for?
And spotify?
Can someone with PC give me the benefits? Also, if you have unlimited data then I'm wondering if simply hooking up the phone is the better optiion given you pay for that already.
I don’t bother

Watching sentry mode remotely is limited to a few minutes per day. In fact I don’t use sentry, it’s pretty wasteful
I don’t use Spotify, I listen to DAB
I find google earth images too busy
I don’t watch stuff while I charge and if I wanted too I’d create a mobile hotspot or just watch on my phone

I do kind of miss the traffic indication but not enough to spend £10 a month.

Everyone values things differently, I’ll just say not subscribing is a perfectly viable option. and subscribing works for others.

I run a super cheap low data phone sim so hotspot is not an option for streaming… but phone cost plus Premium data on the car is only £15 a month combined! I like the Google earth map and I do use TV streaming. Sentry streaming or Dog mode streaming isn’t essential but it’s a fun extra.

Reactions: Benjamin163
I find google earth images too busy

Only time I use them is if I'm in central London (I'm a rural lad ...) as I think that, zoomed right in, it enables me to figure out which turning / building entrance etc. I need. Basically a bit like having both coarse and fine-tuning dials on a posh pair of binoculars :)

I don’t watch stuff while I charge

Me neither, but if my kids were still small I might ... but my kids always wanted to watch their own personal devices, rather than engage in a family group activity ... I blame the parents.

I do kind of miss the traffic indication

I wonder if you would you actually use it? I curse at how long the red lines are ... but Waze is already telling me how long my journey time increase is ...

And spotify?
For me it was the Spotify integration mainly. We had the free trial of PC and when it ended we found it a real faff trying with hotspots.

That and the satellite view (which Mrs. McChimp prefers) on the maps and the ability to watch Netflix whilst charging made is decide a tenner a month was worth it.

Each to their own though. We certainly wanted to ditch it but just the convenience and added features made us to decide to pay for it.

Reactions: GT_M3
I listen to music whenever I can & have an Amazon Music HD Unlimited family account (£14.99/mth shared 3 ways) as well as 30gB phone data, net £12 monthly to me is of more use than additionally paying for Premium Connectivity.

Because the Premium subscription would not allow me to listen on other devices & I don't need the other 'features', USB and bluetooth music is my preference for the car. Supercharging is occasional and usually around 20-35 mins so that time is spent consuming/expelling liquids, walking around etc rather than watching the screen.

No issues with affording it but have gone without on my wife’s car as it just doesn’t seem to offer anything we need. Both have unlimited data on our phones and have automation turning on the hotspot when phone connects to car. This means car automatically connects to phone hotspot without having to do anything so streaming music and video still works just fine anyway.

Only item I potentially considered would be sentry mode remote streaming but don’t really need it so gone without. If it was my car though I’d probably have paid.