Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation / Maps Update

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hey Guys,

Not sure if I’m missing something here but I haven’t gotten the Navigaion / Maps update. My Model S (2016 90is on 2018.14.2 and my Model X is on 2018.10.4. Both cars are connected to WiFi at night.

Is this still in the process of being rolled out or should I call the service center?

Thanks All!

The way it was explained to me the map update is not connected to the firmware version. So it's possible to have a somewhat older version of firmware but still have the new maps.

The way I was told to find out if I had the new beta maps was to tell the car to navigate somewhere (destination in this case does not matter). Do that with your vehicle and once the route is displayed look at the lower right corner of the map on the touchscreen and see iif you see "Tesla beta navigation" as shown it the image I've attached.

0map.jpg

Our S P85 got the updates several weeks ago. Our newer S 100D got the updates last week.

So they are still slowly deploying the updates.

The map updates are likely the limiting factor, due to the size of the offline map database.

Tesla could reduce the map update times significantly by only sending the maps within driving range to the car - and only when the car needs maps outside of that region, download additional map fragments.

This would require Tesla modifying the offline map data access software to handle this - and now that they have more control over the source code, that should now be possible.

Another advantage of doing this - if the updates are smaller, they could send them out more frequently than once every year or two...

If you don't yet have NAV 2.0 - be patient...

Though if you're concerned, call Tesla's phone support team and have them verify there isn't a problem preventing the updates from getting to your car.

The way it was explained to me the map update is not connected to the firmware version. So it's possible to have a somewhat older version of firmware but still have the new maps.

The way I was told to find out if I had the new beta maps was to tell the car to navigate somewhere (destination in this case does not matter). Do that with your vehicle and once the route is displayed look at the lower right corner of the map on the touchscreen and see iif you see "Tesla beta navigation" as shown it the image I've attached.

View attachment 301010

In my case, the "Tesla BETA Navigation" logo appeared several weeks before the actual "new navigation" features were activated, which changed the voice and dash display.

There are some subtle changes in the driver dash display. Look for the blue message dialog boxes around the street name of your next turn. Look at the lane indicator at the bottom too. The old lane indicator was very different.

navigation.jpg
navigation2.jpg

Our S P85 got the updates several weeks ago. Our newer S 100D got the updates last week.

So they are still slowly deploying the updates.

The map updates are likely the limiting factor, due to the size of the offline map database.

Tesla could reduce the map update times significantly by only sending the maps within driving range to the car - and only when the car needs maps outside of that region, download additional map fragments.

This would require Tesla modifying the offline map data access software to handle this - and now that they have more control over the source code, that should now be possible.

Another advantage of doing this - if the updates are smaller, they could send them out more frequently than once every year or two...

If you don't yet have NAV 2.0 - be patient...

Though if you're concerned, call Tesla's phone support team and have them verify there isn't a problem preventing the updates from getting to your car.
I don't think the size of the update (both for maps or firmware) is really the limiting factor, because take Apple iOS for example, there are many millons of devices out there and the different models.

So if Apple can employ a CDN for it's 2gb firmware downloads for many millions of devices... Tesla can surely do so as well

I would caution against trusting new maps too much. I had it navigate me to the airport and it took me into and out of a apartment complex on a strange route unlike the usual routes. They have some issues to overcome.

My Model S is at 2018.12.4 and does not have the map update so I don't think it's related to firmware.

2018.12 was the base-level firmware needed before the map update started showing up for people. I do not know of a case in which someone had the new maps (outside of root access) without at least 2018.12. But that doesn't mean that just because you have 2018.12 or newer that you automatically have the new maps as they are a separate update. Was only trying to clarify that my understanding is that you need at least 2018.12 before your car would attempt to download and install the new maps.

It took me about 4 weeks after I received 2018.12 before my new maps showed up.

Reactions: SSonnentag