Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation Question - What Does the Stoplight Icon Do?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
When I am using the Tesla Navigation system, I have noticed on the right side of the display an icon that looks like a traffic stoplight. Referring to the owner' manual I re-read the navigation section to see what function that icon can invoke. Sadly the stoplight icon is not mentioned.

Does anyone actually know what functionality that icon presents when you press it and turn it on or off?

Thanks
ARTinCT

When I am using the Tesla Navigation system, I have noticed on the right side of the display an icon that looks like a traffic stoplight. Referring to the owner' manual I re-read the navigation section to see what function that icon can invoke. Sadly the stoplight icon is not mentioned.

Does anyone actually know what functionality that icon presents when you press it and turn it on or off?

Thanks
ARTinCT
It turns display of traffic on and off.

• Informative
Reactions: ArtInCT and Xenius
Ok, so when it is on or darker the display will show traffic? And then when it is off or lighter colored it does not show traffic on your route?
Is that it?
Blue = traffic displayed on screen
Gray = traffic not displayed on screen

It's not directly related to navigation, you can have "nav" off, but still see traffic as you're driving down the road. It's the Google maps traffic.

Ok got it that is great to know. Thanks guys...
Next question.....
When the navigation system, while enroute to a destination, changes the route based upon traffic or road conditions, how do you know it has done that? While on a long trip, over roads not often traveled it appears that the nav changed the route to navigate around a work snag. I was not told about that change nor asked to accept the change. The route was 160 miles long and the change took place off the current display screen area.

Is there a way to query the nav system to show the new route vs the old one?

thanks
ARTinCT

Blue = traffic displayed on screen
Gray = traffic not displayed on screen

It's not directly related to navigation, you can have "nav" off, but still see traffic as you're driving down the road. It's the Google maps traffic.

Yah,,, as a color blind guy, the colors are not very helpful but I can see the difference. I hear that the traffic intensity is shown in various colors such as red and orange. Lucky for me usually my wife is with me to act as the "reluctant navigatress". :cool:

Ok, yes, sometimes out of the corner of my eye I see a flash or change in the nav screen but miss the message. And of course at those times the "navigatress" is usually otherwise occupied. So no way to bring the message back up eh? I hope the V8.0 navigation can fix that some day.