TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker or making a Paypal contribution here: paypal.me/SupportTMC

Navigation screen blank

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by Merrill, Mar 21, 2014.

1. Merrill

Merrill Active Member

Has anyone experienced the satellite navigation go blank with good 3G reception. This has happened a few times, I come out to the car and everything boots up. The sat nav is working it shows 2 or 3 or 4 bars the I drive away and in 5 minutes the screen goes blank (gray) and I notice the bars do not change even when I know I should not have 4 bars. What seems to happen is that the nav freezes up and unless I reboot the main screen I do not get the nav back. Once I reboot the signal starts to work and I have the satellite nav back. Any ideas?

2. jerry33

jerry33 S85 - VIN:P05130 - 3/2/13

No ideas other than that it's not normal. This is one for which you need to open up a service request

3. SeattleSid

SeattleSid Member

I've had my car for a week and the nav screen has locked up about four times; meaning it stops moving. I've rebooted with no fix, but I discovered that if I speak a location ("where is [address]) it starts moving again, and if I cancel the directions it stays okay. If it keeps up, I guess I'll report it.

4. jcadman22

jcadman22 MD: DRK NRG

I'm not sure if this is same behavior that Merrill was experiencing, but I had a connectivity related issue that affected nav and Slacker today. I'm on 5.8.8 and I park in an underground garage with no connectivity. For the 30 min drive I noticed that the map data and traffic were not updating but it wasn't an issue because I know the route (just keep the map up to see the traffic). When I picked up my kids I switched over to Slacker but nothing played despite flipping between a few "stations." Finally switched over to my USB music collection which worked fine, but the album art was blank. The issue finally resolved itself when I got home and the car connected to my wi-fi router and then I went out to pick up dinner.

5. blues

blues Member

If you're talking about the center screen, it happened to me a lot on 5.8.8. I would get in, and everything would start except for the center screen. I was even able to drive the car, the only things not functioning were the screen, sound system, and climate control. After rebooting, everything would work fine again. I took it into the service center, and they updated the software to 5.8.10, and I haven't experienced that problem since. If you're not on 5.8.10, I'd suggest taking it to the service center and have them update it.