Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation update 2020.12 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
You can try adjusting the speed limit on OpenStreetMap.org or send me a message with the cross roads and what it should be (what the signs say). It's no guarantee that it'll update ever but there is record of Tesla's maps pulling some data from OSM (openstreetmap).

Never fully trust the speed limit that the car shows, always trust the actual signs... I don't know where Tesla pulls the traffic info but maybe nothing had been reported or "driven" through that area of the closed bridge but thats a bummer that happened. Might try Waze/Google Maps for a secondary traffic monitor, just keep it in the background on your phone.

View attachment 547385 Mine (2020 long range) has the Nav 2020.12 update, but doesn't know the speed limit of the closest main Rd to my house. First long trip routed us to a closed (for construction) bridge adding 1 hour to our trip at 1:15a and nearly got me a speeding ticket as it only gets about 75% of speed limits correct. These things are no fun and I'm starting to not trust the Navigation and I've only had it 2.5 months. Suggestions???
Navigation update 2020.12
Newer Teslas cannot read speed signs so your car will inevitably get it wrong every time map date deviate from reality (75% as you observed). The AP1 teslas can do it but Elon decided years ago to stop paying the company who holds the patent on this technology and removed this function from cars produced after that time point.

The AP1 teslas can do it but Elon decided years ago to stop paying the company who holds the patent on this technology and removed this function from cars produced after that time point.

That is a little over-simplifying what happened. MobileEye actually terminated the contract and refused to sell more EyeQ chips to Tesla. (Once it became clear that 1) Tesla was pushing their technology further than they were comfortable with and 2) Tesla was developing a replacement and wouldn't share data with MobileEye.) And it was the MobileEye EyeQ hardware that did the speed limit reading, not software Tesla developed. So once Tesla replaced the EyeQ chip they no longer had the speed limit reading feature. People are guessing that the reason Tesla hasn't developed/implemented it themselves yet is the patent, but Elon recently said that it was coming soon.

Reactions: totteraptor