Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Navigation update 2020.12 is out!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My car updated last night from 2019.35.108 to 2020.8.2 but Navigation is still at 2019.20-10487. Guess I'll need 2020.12 to get the nav update?

I have a Model S and I just upgraded from MCU1 to MCU2 and HW2.5 to HW3 and 2020.8.2 was downloading when I picked the car up after the upgrade (which was awesome and worth every penny btw). Got stuck at 50% so I rebooted the MCU and then it started a maps download (I didn't see which version). Based on my data usage (around 5-6GB) it seems the maps download was successful. Keep in mind I was able to use maps and NoA just fine on my ~160 mile drive home from picking up my car after the upgrade.

Strange thing is, after the maps downloaded it never said anything. Maps still show 2019.20-10487. tonight (3 days later) I got FW 2020.8.3 tonight and installed no problem. Still no change to the maps version.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: pilotSteve
Finally got the 2020.12 map update, just after the car was updated with the 2020.12.1 software. I had to manually check for the map update. Last week when I was still on 2020.8.1 and map 2019.20, the check for map update said I was up-to-date. I have HW 2.5 but have purchased FSD.

Incase I missed someone else saying it. My LR+ has HW3 and only maps version 2019.20, but it still seems all the street lights, stop signs, turning lanes etc. In visualization. So it's definitely not only included in the 2020 maps.

(Car just updated to 2020.8.3 last night).

Haven't done a hard reset like I usually do, not sure if that will change anything though. So as of yet no map update notification for me.

(Vancouver, Canada here btw)

The visualizations have been around for months now, since well before the 2020 maps.

The speculation is the feature (coming Real Soon Now) where it actually STOPS for those lights and signs will require the 2020 maps though.

Reactions: MP3Mike
Is else annoyed that the only way to find out what’s in the software update is to sit in the car, touch the “t” and scroll, scroll, scroll?
Why can’t we get the info on our phone, or computer so we can read it when we are at home?
I DO love my new Tesla, but I don’t find sitting in my garage, reading an update to be a fun experience.

not all model 3's with 202.12.1 and HW 3.0 got the full release capable of stopping at red lights and stop signs. I am one of them. I was fairly disappointed when I charged into the car to enable the feature only to find it, not there. The notes said map updates needed to be be performed but that didn't help me. I'm not the best at reading the instructions first so perhaps i missed something. I'm open to suggestions on how to make this feature active.

Thanks

• Disagree
Reactions: lUtriaNt and MarcG
Err.... 0 of them did.

The feature you mention is in 12.5 and that's only available to early-access program members.

Nope. 2020.12.5 doesn't have auto-stopping at traffic lights or stop signs either, and is not restricted to EAP.

That release is for in-car dashcam/sentry viewer and better info on supercharger stall outages, and is going out to non-EAP users:

Reactions: bcpm3p and lUtriaNt
View attachment 525265 Go check your cars! Finally! Nearly a year since the last maps update so this is a welcome addition.

Living in Seattle, I’m glad to see the new Whole Foods in West Seattle is finally in the maps data.

That said, hopefully the mapping data figures out that the West Seattle Bridge is closed for the foreseeable future because currently the nav is mapping using the bridge, still. D’oh!
Does it really matter... map data will inevitably always be behind reality

View attachment 525265 Go check your cars! Finally! Nearly a year since the last maps update so this is a welcome addition.

Living in Seattle, I’m glad to see the new Whole Foods in West Seattle is finally in the maps data.

That said, hopefully the mapping data figures out that the West Seattle Bridge is closed for the foreseeable future because currently the nav is mapping using the bridge, still. D’oh!
20200315_171104.jpg Mine (2020 long range) has the Nav 2020.12 update, but doesn't know the speed limit of the closest main Rd to my house. First long trip routed us to a closed (for construction) bridge adding 1 hour to our trip at 1:15a and nearly got me a speeding ticket as it only gets about 75% of speed limits correct. These things are no fun and I'm starting to not trust the Navigation and I've only had it 2.5 months. Suggestions???
Navigation update 2020.12