TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

Navigation upgrade cost

Discussion in 'Model S: User Interface' started by ai4px, Jun 1, 2018.

1. ai4px

ai4px Member

Just FYI, I have a no frills 2014 MS60 and inquired about nav upgrade today. $2700. I had read on this forum that it would cost between $200 and $1000, but never expected 2700. Just an FYI to the next guy who's looking for a model s.

• Informative x 1
  2. MP3Mike

MP3Mike Well-Known Member

I'm not positive but I think it requires replacing the MCU. If so, $2700 seems reasonable. (And would likely get you the LTE upgrade as well.)

• Informative x 1
  3. ai4px

ai4px Member

It does require replacing the MCU (screen and all). I had my pain threshold set for $1000 however. Just trying to make sure someone buying a MS is in the know.

• Informative x 1
  4. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

There isn't a NAV upgrade requiring new hardware.

It sounds like you've been quoted the cost of getting a new MCU and new console display, which also includes the LTE hardware.

And you don't need that to get the new navigation software.

Our 2012 S P85 got the new navigation software update about a month before our 2017 S 100D. Even though our 100D has LTE and the P85 has only 3G, we haven't noticed any difference in performance of the navigation system.

We'll be getting an MCU2 with our new Model X soon, and be able to do a side-by-side comparison. If there's a significant difference in performance, we might consider upgrading our S 100D to MCU2.

However, I suspect that for most operations, the performance will be similar. Much of the lag in displaying the console maps and in doing routing with the new navigation software is due to Internet performance caused by server-side restrictions. And having a faster MCU processor or faster LTE communications, probably won't help much in those cases.

• Disagree x 1
  5. ai4px

ai4px Member

Bob_P, if I go to the telsa service center and ask them for nav and they tell me $2700, I counter with I was expecting between 200 and 1000, and they say that's what it is. How do you get around that? Really, I'm all ears because I'd love to get the super charger planning that comes with nav.

6. commasign

commasign Tesla Superfan

OP might have a classic Model S 60 without tech package. If that’s the case, it doesn’t have the hardware to support navigation. Later on, Tesla did make navigation standard on all cars, but I don’t remember when that occurred (maybe later in 2014).

• Like x 2
    • Informative x 1
  7. bmah

bmah Moderator, Model S / Model X Forums

The tech package went away (and navigation made standard) around March/April 2015. (I specifically remember this because it was after I ordered but before my S85D went into production.)

Bruce.

8. RDoc

RDoc S85D

FWIW, my experience with our navigation system has been pretty poor. It's convenient, in that it's on the screen, but it's not very good. For anything complex we always check Google.

9. bob_p

bob_p Active Member

Forgot about the tech package for the early cars... Our S P85 has the tech package, so it's always had navigation.

My bad...

10. SSedan

SSedan Member

If you have any wish for more range I would upgrade cars before a $2700 upgrade on a 60.